Do You Like The No Monthly Fee For Guild Wars 2?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Yard' started by CookieMonster, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Ram Levy

Ram Levy Well-Known Member
    Regular

Of course I love it ! Paying once for a game is much better than paying every month. If its a monthly subscription I feel like I have to play a lot to make it worth keep buying it, which can sometimes makes it a burden.

2. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I trried Guild wars 2 when there was still the monthly fee but a couple years ago I started playing it again since there was no fee.

3. queenbee

queenbee Well-Known Member

I completely see where you're coming from. As consumers, it's great when services come at lower costs, and we feel much better (and more secure) when we own the product we pay for. It feels as if we have more control. Not to mention, one could just forget about a subscription and end up paying for more than we're using.

That said, unfortunately, subscriptions do make sense for games which require ongoing maintenance. They're adding more content, updating, and supporting the service. And purely from a company/monetary view, subscription based games tend to make more money in the long run. However... there are other options, such as what GW2 do. Making the base game and any content related to gameplay (vs aesthetics) a pay-once sort of deal, and have additional options people can pay for to support the game. Another option could be merchandise. After all, if people enjoy a product, they'll be happy to support the company. Not all, but some - certainly enough to make a lot of money.

4. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Anet's model is wonderful because the items they sell are services for the account or cosmetic. I honestly tended to pay more money than a WoW sub because of it. I could also convert gold to gems if I didn't want to shell out money. Or if I'm lazy and didn't want to farm gold, I could sell gems for gold in order to be further along in constructing my legendary weapon. Updates aren't as fast as subscription games, but it doesn't bother me too much since the PvP was designed in such a manner that it keeps you entertained for a long time so that they can roll out PvE content gradually.

The issue with merchandise is that there's a lot of cost involved and lots of collaboration between companies. Even a game as successful as WoW took a while before they started to get merchandise based around the franchise. In a few more years I can see GW2 potentially getting a merchandise line. As of right now it's still a young MMO that's testing the waters.

5. fliktor7

fliktor7 Well-Known Member

Sure, I love it!

I always hated the pay to play mmorpgs, but only one pay for buy the game seems legit for me, more if we are talking about quality games as guild wars 2 (I haven't played guild wars 1, but I readed good reviews about it so I suppose it must be worth of it too).

In fact, if guild wars 2 has monthly played I probably didn't played it, but the guys from Arena net are wise ones ^__^

6. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes, if it has monthly fee. I would not play it.

7. MrHurricane89

MrHurricane89 Well-Known Member

I like that the base game has no fees, but the living story Season 2's unlockables are a bit bad, as you had to log in at the required times to get the episodes for free, or you can get them for 200 gems a piece. 8 episodes = 1600 gems which is 20 EUR ot lots of time getting 200 or so gold to convert it to gems.

8. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've pretty much given up on the living story updates since I don't have time in my life to catch them as they come out. That's a bummer that you have to pay to unlock episodes...For me the game's primarily turned into a social/PVP game for me at the moment which is fine since that's where I have the most fun.

9. Epicfied

Epicfied Well-Known Member

I haven't played Guild Wars 2 in so long, but yes, that's one of the reasons I loved it. I love the fact that you pay once for the game and then you're good. You don't have to pay for a subscription, especially after dumping $60 into the game.

10. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

Yes I think it is great that there is no subscription. I avoid and despise all subscription based MMOs since wasting hundreds on a Runescape subscription I never used. I can go back at anytime to GW2 and have a casual play without worrying about paying subscription fees.

11. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

No subscription fees is one of the reasons I've never uninstalled these MMOS (GW1/2) and why I feel they still have a strong following even today to be honest.

12. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Of course I like it, who wouldn't? It's the future for MMO's.

13. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

As many have said, it's definitely the future for MMOS. Most of them should adopt this and just charge for aesthetic things (skins, colorations, etc) and nothing that damages the gameplay. Just makes you look more badass.

And in fact, the no-monthly fee is half the reason I never uninstall it.

14. midorisour

midorisour Active Member
    Regular

lol, that's one of the big reasons that I play GW1 and GW2 because there is no monthly fee. :D

15. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I love it since numerous games nowadays require monthly fees which seem quite cheap but can accumulate to hundreds of dollars along the time.