Do You Like The No Monthly Fee For Guild Wars 2?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Yard' started by CookieMonster, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Steelcobra

Steelcobra New Member

I do like it but as with the first, I knew what to expect. I will say one thing I have run into that I don't see myself enjoying too much is the banking system. I'm pretty sure the only way to increase bank storage is to buy another tier of slots with "gems". I figured they are their cash store currency but 600 gems for something that should be available to achieve in game is a bit steep imo. The sheer amount of things I want to keep in my bank is starting to stack up and I'm quickly running out of space.

I thought the cash store was going to have pets/outfits etc stuff along those lines but actual in game storage space seems like it'd be nice to attain that though some way in game via in game currency. All in all I do enjoy it having the barrier of entry for the one time purchase and then being free as I think it weeds out a lot of the less desirable crowd.

2. Cerwin

Cerwin Member

I love not having to pay a monthly fee as well. And to help support them, I recently bought some gems to get more character slots. I wish more games did it this way.

3. Reefmonster

Reefmonster New Member

No monthly fee means that I can afford to buy the game...lol I'm the breadwinner in my house which means that I have to make the absolute most of my money, so not having to deal with another "monthly" payment is a big plus in my mind! I used to play SW:TOR and by luck was able to get 14-prepaid cards at an exceptional deal ($8) each about 2 years ago. The only problem is that I still have prepaid cards except that the game is Free To Play now so they are extinct...by F2P I mean that everything you want to get that is good is only available for sale in the shop...

It is a jacked system if you ask me...I think that anyone that bought the retail game should have access to all areas of the game world without having to buy anything...It's double jeopardy...If I continued playing I would have to BUY the expansion packs all over again! They are crazy...No...I'll stick to GW2 where there are no monthly fees.

4. JimmyBean

JimmyBean Member

I think it's great how GW does their stuff. You pay for expansions and the original game. I think that maybe they won't have AS many updates as say, WoW, because they're not getting as much income. But that's ok with me :p Just means more play time in my opinion

5. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

Yes, I love it. on't play this game anymore, but I loved their designing and playing model. They didn't go for a subscription model when they could have easily done it. Hats off to them for pulling it off!

6. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

Yes, I love it. on't play this game anymore, but I loved their designing and playing model. They didn't go for a subscription model when they could have easily done it. Hats off to them for pulling it off!

7. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

I think the fact that the game has no monthly fee is one of its strongest points, if it was subscription based, it would have a lot more difficulty competing with other titles on the market.

8. Astdua

Astdua Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's always been one of the major things Guild Wars has had going on, since the first one. The absence of a monthly fee makes it very accessible and lucrative. Unlike most major MMO's worth playing, you buy it once and you are good to go.

9. doctorimpossible

This was one of my main reasons for buying the game. I just can't stand paying huge amounts of money every single month. (Mostly my walet can't stand it☺) I wish ever game was like this. I'm perfectly fine with paying a lot more as long as I don't have to pay a monthly fee.

10. fromtheground

fromtheground Member

I both love it and hate it. I like when I buy a game and that's it. Everyone has the same rights, benefits, everything. This is why I played WoW for so long, I just knew no one was better off because of their money. In GW2, while it has no impact on gameplay, it is still noticeable when someone pays for item shop items and it does create a small dent between the paying and non-paying.
    But then again, better to pay once than pay every month.

11. 4justice

4justice Well-Known Member

I can definitely get behind this comment. The problem is most customers have a short term way of thinking. If they see something that says $60 and you won't have to pay again versus no purchase fee with a $9.99 a month fee, many will go for the $9.99 a month because in the IMMEDIATE future they see it as less of a cost.

But the problem is of course when you think short term, you ended up paying MORE in the long term.

12. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I have not played GW2, but I do like the fact that it's F2P paying a monthly fee can add up quite quickly.

13. fromtheground

fromtheground Member

Well, it's not f2p. It's B2p, you still have to buy the basic game in order to play the game. Afterwards there is no sub, but it's definitely not f2p.

14. sidd230

sidd230 Well-Known Member

Its not F2p. Its a full game which you buy for 60$. There is no subscription fee, that is.

15. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I love the fact that they charge you only once, and then you get all the content for free. Even new additions and updates. If you look at other MMO`s out there you`ll see what I mean. They charge you nearly a full games` price for every expansion. Buy once, it`s yours forever, should be the new way any game like this should be marketed.

16. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Well-Known Member

A monthly fee makes me feel as though I need to get my money's worth. Without it, I can go away for the summer and come back guilt free - albeit a little lost. If monthly fees are kept quite low, it isn't too bad, but I would still pay when I can and forgo the monthly payments.

Chris_A likes this.
  17. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes, it is like you are forced to play each and every month, just so you get your money`s worth that you have to pay. I you would have to go away from the game for a while for different reasons, you are still required to pay the monthly fee or get your account shut down. I don`t like monthly subscription fees at all.

18. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would not mind a subscription fee, so long as the service is top notch, support is professional and timely, the game receive consistent and persistent patching and content refinement. Also, $15/month is a bit steep, considering many MMO games require you to pay $60-$80 initially. To me, I feel that the original game can be $50-$70, expansions at $20-$30, then subscriptions <$10/month.

19. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

I wonder how $15/month became the standard, I think if an MMO came out with a lower subscription, like $5 or $7,99 then it would be a much simpler choice for people when time came to subscribe.

20. megadelayed

megadelayed Active Member

The once only fee was one of the main reasons why I brought Guild Wars 2, as well as the initial previews of the game also looked like it was fantastic (which it actually turned out to be just as good as I expected). I think that the monthly fees are really annoying and most of the time if you are really into the game you'll probably spend just as much if not more on subscription anyway.