Do You Like The No Monthly Fee For Guild Wars 2?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Yard' started by CookieMonster, Dec 23, 2011.

1. chuckledarkly

chuckledarkly Member

When I first heard the words GW2 a few years back I was interested but when they said no monthly fees I knew immediately that I was going to own this game.

2. Demonhun

Demonhun Member

Well the no monthly fee worked for GW1 i dont see how it would affect the gameplay of GW2 if they would still release lots of content anyways in the form of expansions, we would still be saving money.

3. Majestic

Majestic Boo

that is right about what everybody seems to think -- to gist up this thread.

4. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Titan (code name for their new MMO) by Blizzard is likely to be F2P and financed through micro transactions. 15$ a month will be a thing of the past. It kills games

5. lolwut

lolwut Well-Known Member

seems so.. most p2p games are turning f2p too.

6. Aaricia

Aaricia Imaginary Friend

I would like to respond via video that explains why the monthly subscription fee is archaic and unnecessary.

[video=youtube;ns-IIn-DG-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns-IIn-DG-c[/video]

1 person likes this.
  7. Sablehawk

Sablehawk Member

Free to play seems to be the way most games are going anymore. And I actually love that since it seems I'm always strapped for cash.

Bring on more f2p games ... please. :)

8. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

this is a good video, advice others to watch.

9. Nerull

Nerull Member

I think its a great idea and I'm sure the fans will help them out by buying their stuff !

10. Robvenom

Robvenom Member

Agreed! I will support ArenaNet through the cash shop. I love the no sub business model but i would happy pay one for gw2.

11. Creed

Creed Active Member

I am glad there is no monthly fee... It allows me to keep playing the games I am presently playing pluse GW2. :p

Creed

12. pepperlizard

pepperlizard |,,|, Metal Head ,|,,|

yes, but if it means it will be lacking some bits of content then no

13. Creed

Creed Active Member

Why do games have to be lacking in content just because they are free to play? I have never understood the mentality that f2p game are always crap over the ones that charge a monthly sub.. I have tried many sub type games and I found them seriously lacking. :p

Creed

14. Starayo

Starayo Member

Lack of fee was one of my favourite things about GW1, and being a uni student now means it's even better. :p

15. Notrub

Notrub Member

GW1 never had a monthly fee and that is why so many people have played it so long. No matter what you play you get burned out eventually. With no monthly fee you can walk away from it and go do something else without worrying about losing anything. But, also I have to say that what has kept me coming back over the last 8 years is playing with friends. And, playing with the same people for 8 years it is kind of hard not to become friends. There is nothing like playing with a good group of friends in any MMO. I truly believe if A.net had even hinted at a monthly fee for GW2 they would have lost a very large player base that has stuck with them even when they really didn't have much to offer game wise since EotN (2007). I understand they are a company and have to make money, just hope they get it right whichever way they decide to go to do that.

BTW, a monthly fee is what always kept me from playing WoW, except for free betas. Guess I'm cheap, but I see it more as getting some kind of value for the hared earned money I plop down for anything. I don't see much value in paying for something I won't use a majority of the time every month. Real life will always come before any game for me.

Creed: That is just a sales pitch to justify a monthly fee. You have played GW and WoW. Do you think either was a sub par product when they first came out? They both have different ways of doing things but in their day both were pretty cutting edge in the things they were doing. Just over the last 8 years it is getting harder and harder to justify a monthly sub for any game. Especially when so many that have come out the last few years are sub par, but still charged a sub. What is changing is the player base has been wising up and they aren't willing to shell out a monthly fee unless the game is really something special. I'm really hoping GW2 carries on that cutting edge tradition, but only time will tell??? If A.net does pull it off again it will be even harder for games to charge a monthly fee. Cause that sales pitch goes out the window.

16. Omaro

Omaro Member

It's nice, but not apart of my decision making. It's just another smart thing that anet has done.

1 person likes this.
  17. Diemos

Diemos Member

yes, the sub model is on its way out and it willl be a relief

1 person likes this.
  18. Creed

Creed Active Member

No, I don't think GW1 nor WoW is a sub par product. I think both are pretty good games and both had perks I liked about them. I continued to this day to play them.

Creed

19. Alexandar

Alexandar Member

Fak Yesh!

Dudes and dudets, having no monthly fee is sticking it to the no.1 in the MMO scene, and that is Blizzard. Since Blizzard pissed me off (and a couple of million other players) in WOW, I am happy for this coming change. Arenanet will show once again that Monthly fee's are pure greed and we as players must not support it. Change is coming and western empire of Blizzard will fall. So it is written and so it shall be done!

20. rmadler

rmadler New Member

Love it, just like the first.

They'll make up some money in purchasing character slots.

Wonder how they'll handle 'expansions' and if they'll be stand alone like in GW1.