Do you like the fact that ID is taking Doom back to its roots?

Discussion in 'Doom 2016 Discussion' started by razer, Nov 8, 2015.

1. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

We know that the first two games have been violent, arcade actions shooters, while Doom 3 was more of a horror oriented FPS. While the first two games are arguably more popular, Doom 3 also has its fans.

What do you think ? Do you prefer the classics or Doom 3 ?

Personally, I loved Doom3. It sure had its problems, but I thought it was really fun and I have yet to play a more atmospheric or tense game.
    That said, I am still anxious to see how Doom 2016 turns out.

2. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like the idea of any game going back to it's roots, so long as it started off as a good game. Doom started off as a great game, so I really don't mind it. I'd love to see Doom go for a violent arcade-style shooter, but I'm pretty sure there's going to be more to it than that. I'm anxious to see what they have in store as well.

60 people like this.
  3. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

I liked Doom 3, just like you, but I am tentatively excited for the game going back to its roots. Doom 1 and 2 are what made this game super popular and although, like you said, Doom 3 has its fans, I believe that there are way more fans of the original games.

4. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's a shame that we're probably going to lose the horror atmosphere though. Many complained of the "monster closets" in Doom 3, but that was exactly what made the game tense, knowing that you could never be truly secure.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I personally hope they will combine Doom 3 with the first ones in terms of gameplay and atmosphere. Every game had it's pros and cons, it would be cool if they'd take all the pros and make a really nice sequel.

6. alexiskilgannon

Regular

I'd love to see the horror in the game be more than just blood and guts. The suspense is probably going to be lost and instead be full of action. It's a sad truth to the newer games coming out these days. :(

7. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well the fans complained because Doom 3 was not an arcade shooter like Doom1 and Doom2. They never even wanted to give the game a chance, and constantly compared it to the aforementioned games instead of seeing the game for what it is.
    So we likely aren't going to get horror elements in the new Doom.

8. alexiskilgannon

Regular

This is one thing that bums me out about reboots. People are constantly expecting a rehash of the game they played previously, which to me makes absolutely no sense. I would hope to get something new and different out of each game. Although I'm looking forward to the horror aspect of the game, I'm also stoked about all of the new things they'll introduce. :)

9. mooray

mooray Active Member

That is what has kept me interested in the first place.

10. whiskey2whiskey

whiskey2whiskey Active Member

I heard that there is a lot of outrage over the focus on the arcade demon-slaying/slasher gameplay instead of the slow, procedural nature of Doom 3. Personally, I felt like they could use a little more of Doom 3's formula of working with your environment, stealth, and the likes. I think it would have turned out to be an overall better core game with a higher amount of replayability, because frankly, the slasher FPS gameplay just seems repetitive.