Do you like Last Light more than 2033?

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light Campaign Discussion' started by DarkOne, May 14, 2013.

?

Do you like Last Light more than 2033?

1. A lot better

21 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. A bit better

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. About the same

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Not as good but a worthy sequel

10 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Falls well short of 2033's excellence

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. N3xus

N3xus Well-Known Member

If there's a thing that Metro 2033 did waaaaaaaay better was the atmoshpere in the surface.
    I didn't want to stay there because i knew i was in trouble, in LL it's still good but i prefered the 2033's atmosphere.
    Other than that, i loved LL.

2. thuner

thuner Well-Known Member

Agreed. It was too much "wow, this looks beautiful", rather than "SHIT, I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE!" xD

3. Chimera Knight

Chimera Knight Well-Known Member

Sometimes yes, but not always like they should. I have litterally stood face-to-face to an enemy in a lighted area for 10 seconds before he realized I was there. It may have just been a glitch, but overall I'm not impressed by the AI, others on the forum have said the same.

4. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

Man I need to get this game soon just for a stealth play through, no money coming my way at the minute and I have other things to pay for but when I get it i'll put the stealth to the test. I loved the stealth in 2033 and could never see why people bitched about it, there was literally nothing wrong with it, if I had a capture card for my xbox i'd upload a few stealth playthroughs to youtube. (of 2033 and LL)

A few comments back someone said if one enemy spotted you in 2033 then they all knew where you were? Well, it makes sense since when an enemy spots you they start screaming to their friends and firing on you... Anyway even if you get spotted you can break line of sight and sneak about and flank 'em most of the time, they will just keep leaning out of cover aiming at your previous position.

5. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

Yeah but if one spots you and you kil him before he can make a sound or in anyways alert your presence to anyone else, its kinda weird if the position is instantly rushed wiht enemies whom know exactly where you are.
    its kinda weird if all the guards suddenly knows exactly where

6. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

I noticed if they notice you and you kill them before they can shout or fire a shot off they make a lot more noise falling to the floor and make weird death noises than if you did it undetected, I always just assumed that's what alerted their friends.

7. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

Yes dude, yes. Quote for quote, I feel the exact same way. Sadly (and bare in mind I can only make assumptions), based on what I've seen, it seems as though the human enemies in Last Light have been severely gimped compared to how sharp they were in Metro. I guess I will have to wait and see, but I also do not understand what everyone was pissed about with the stealth of 2033. I thought it was some of the most accurate, fun, and spontaneous stealth in gaming. This is why I jumped on that guy's case from YouTube.

Oh well, here's to hoping.

8. Fist-Alpha99

Fist-Alpha99 Member

At first, Last light seemed distinctly inferior, what with the magic throwing knives and blind/deaf human enemies, but now I have revised my opinion. Nearing the end of my second playthrough, this time on "ranger Hardcore", I now put the sequel on equal footing with the original.

9. Roadkill

Roadkill Active Member

I kinda prefer Metro 2033,just the atmosphere was so great, was always feeling in danger unlike LL where i didn't really get that feeling.

10. Crossing

Crossing Well-Known Member

I agree, the game never threatened me, and I haven't died to humans once.

11. Fist-Alpha99

Fist-Alpha99 Member

The human AI has killed me a few times. It goes like this:
    After weaving my way through dozens of oblivious enemies, thinking "I can't believe this B.S.", I get spotted, start shooting, and get killed from behind.

12. Roadkill

Roadkill Active Member

Metro 2033 somehow seemed more unforgiving. I liked it.

13. Fist-Alpha99

Fist-Alpha99 Member

You're not wrong.
    The only thing that still makes me mad about Last Light is the throwing knives. You can hit a guy in the butt from thirty yards away with a throwing knife and he dies immediately without alerting nearby enemies. What can you even say about that?

14. Fist-Alpha99

Fist-Alpha99 Member

But then again, in Metro 2033, you could shoot a guy six times with "buckshot" from five yards away and still lose the fight...

15. Clear Sky Stalker

Clear Sky Stalker Spartan Ranger
    Regular

A flawed masterpiece, just like 2033 for me.

16. Roadkill

Roadkill Active Member

Oh how many times i died at dry station because throwing knives would somehow bounce off the enemy :sad: and he would alert everyone lol

17. dOrOb

dOrOb Active Member

My thoughts

I played on normal hardcore and finished the game on 16 hours. The AI is pretty cool but its far from finished. if they just could be a little more aggresive, Sometimes I just shoot some bullets in the wall to get some more action.

If they just could be a little bit more aggressive, I mean normal hardcore is like easy on other games. :sad:

But still this is the best game for a really long time, MUCH,much better than the "Crysis" series.

This is what I have to say for now... And now time for a second playthrough on ranger hardcore :)

18. EbonHawk269

EbonHawk269 Member

I like Metro: Last Light, a lot. But, I like it just as much as 2033. They are both masterpieces, and each has its quirks, its flaws, its unforgiving moments. LL is generally, overall much easier to play, but I went into 2033 knowing nothing about how the game would play and paid a heavy price trying to get accustomed to that steep learning curve. I'm not very good at games, generally. Certainly not FPSes.

But, LL will forever be one of my favorites. Both Metros are superbly done, graphically awesome, and the environment just seems to come alive around you. It's been one of the most thrilling gaming experiences I can remember. They're both just really cool games.

I would have to give LL just a slight edge over 2033, but not much. LL can be too easy sometimes, the way the AI just seems to ignore you, and sneaking is a piece of cake. Some of the intensity of stealthing 2033 is gone in LL. You're just a ghost in the most recent release, and if you're smart and patient, nothing can stop you. There's something about LL that I just like. I'm not sure what it is, but I feel like it's the best well-rounded one of the bunch.

I love both of them, and I hope someone gives us more. One of my favorite franchises. :)

19. Tywyll

Tywyll New Member

I liked Metro 2033 more. I know the devs worked hard on this, in terrible conditions, so despite myu rant I dont think LL is a bad game, I just think 2033 was better.

-Voice acting in 2033 was better, especially Artyom.
    -I liked the non hostile stations in 2033 more. Here I got to watch a show and that was fine, but I liekd walking around in 2033 and finding ammo hidden away.
    -Controlls and UI were better in 2033. The knife here I didnt like as much, and throwing knives were overpowered, also I liked how in 2033 I could see Artyom holding them and aiming.
    -Stealth was better in 2033 (it was harder, but in LL it was too easy), plenty of people mentioned AI, but I also missed the traps, like having enemies here you if you step on broken glass.
    -Nazis were dissapointing. In 2033 they had better gear than everyone else (aside from rangers), but here it seemed communists had better gear than them which I disliked. I thought it was a nice touch how Nazis had better tech, but Communists had more men. I liked the final mission where you hear waves of communists swarm you, I wish they had more guys, but worse gear.
    -Ranger hardcore, ok making it more difficult is fine, I liked how punishing it was. But its taking it a little far when I cant see how to change weapons (grenades I could never use, only knives) or how much ammo I have.
    -Nazis story wise, came off as more unrealistic. I remember how in 2033 I was killing nazis when I overheard some discussing their ideology. One said it was the only chance for humanity to recover, by pushing their order on the metro. They were wrong, but they atleast came off as human. But here they were stupidly evil. Killing usefull men, or kicking out its own people because their skull was a few cm to big.
    -The game felt a little too happy at times. Them having a theater felt out of place to me. I thought Pollis and the Hansa circle would be the only places that could afford luxeries like that. Everyone else would have to scrape by. It just didnt have the atmosphere from the first.

Story wise
    My only complaints would be the romance side of things. If Artyom needed a partner for the bad ending, he could have had a wofe at the start or something. Anna was just annoying and unlikable, I would rather he not get envolved with her.
    The dark ones should also have stayed dead, the baby should have been the sole survivor. It felt kinda cheesy with the ending where they all come back. I liked the bad ending more where Artyom heroicly sacrifices himself. I think that ending and no dark ones would have worked better. Humanity still damns itself because they cant stop killing eachother despite the mess they are in. They lost out on the chance with the dark ones helping them reclaim the surface becuase they kept attacking them, they didnt learn from that and now it costs them D6 becuase they still kill eachother.

I swear I still enjoyed LL and its a good game despite all I have said. I just think 2033 was better.

20. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I completed Metro: Last Light once so far... I completed Metro 2033 four times, got all achievements on it and wrote a review of it. It wouldn't be fair to make my mind up before getting in at least one more playthrough of Last Light and reviewing it, but I'll be sure to return here and vote once that's done. :)