Do you like Last Light more than 2033?

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light Campaign Discussion' started by DarkOne, May 14, 2013.

?

Do you like Last Light more than 2033?

1. A lot better

21 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. A bit better

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. About the same

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Not as good but a worthy sequel

10 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Falls well short of 2033's excellence

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Chimera Knight

Chimera Knight Well-Known Member

I agree with the voice and character design changes. Artyom's new voice is a huge step down from the original in my opinion. And Miller looks like an entirely different character. There really wasn't any reason to do these things.

They also changed the names of some of the weapons.

I also don't like how they handled grenades, making them a push the button and forget about them weapon instead of having to plan their use like in 2033.

Also, claymores, why have these in the game? They are useless for 95% of the situations anyway.

The game is still good, I just wonder why 4A chose to do some of the things they did.

2. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Totaly pleased with LL.To be honest the first half of the game falls short and i was rather dissapointed and worried.Luckily the second part absolutely blew my fears of LL being just another shooter away. Just like in M2033 the quietest moments are the best ones. Walking around the destroyed Moscow,Red Square and the Botanical Gardens with a friend...Wow!
    There are some technical issues,ofcourse.Brain dead AI,no "every crunch or crackle will give you away" and the obvious simplifications of some features (melee,quick kill).
    I can't say which one is better because both 2033 and LL are great in their own way.I love them both equaly.

3. Metro2033

Metro2033 Member

I just only pray from God that 4A rework on Miller's face and especially on Artyom's Voice :ranger:

4. Skaara Dreadlocks

I can't decide which one I like the better, but I'm slightly wanting to say Metro2033.
    Metro2033 had the atmosphere, Last Light has the game mechanics.

Metro2033 had the beautiful music, the poor helpless and damned appearance everywhere, the uncertainty of Artyom. Last Light has D6-corridors, little music which usually is hardcore death-metal, and you're now aware of what's going on and what awaits you.

Ulman never made a single joke and he looks like a richman schmuck with his comb-over and totally new face appearance as well as a new voiceover. Miller has changed from being a reasonable and understanding leader to growing corrupt and crazy with power and his face and voice is completely different. Khan looks slightly the same but his clothes are very weird and he's not mystical anymore. He's too direct and eager, not saying anything in a mystical and philosophical way anymore. They're all changed so much, it's like they're not the same characters anymore. At least not Ulman and Miller.

Last Light is definitely a worthy sequel though. I loved the game mechanics over 2033 one's. The stealth is so much more doable. I finally felt like I had control unlike in 2033.
    (I got the good ending on my first playthrough btw! :D)

5. Chimera Knight

I agree this is one of the two things that annoys me the most about LL. They changed the returning characters in such a way that they don't look/act at all in the way they did in 2033. Except for Kahn, he atleast looks similar and does get into the mystical later in the game.

And this is the second of my two big gripes. The way they made the stealth more doable was severly dumbing down the AI, making the light/dark mechanic basically pointless, and making it where almost any noise you make will not alert enemies even on the hardest difficulty. In 2033 missing a shot and hitting a wall, shooting a light next to an enemy, making too much noise while moving would all cause an alert. Now I can run litterally 2 feet from an enemy or stand on top of them even, as long as the indicator on the watch says I can't be seen. Or shoot out every light in an area with no problem. Making it slightly less frustrating would have been fine with me, but they took it way too far in the other direction.

I really like the game, playing through it a second time now on ranger hardcore and enjoying it more than I did on the first playthrough. However, I'm hoping they patch the ranger difficulties to make the gameplay more like 2033, or add in a new difficulty with improved AI, etc.

6. Cheaptricks

Cheaptricks Well-Known Member

I gotta say this-

The outdoor levels in LL are MUCH MUCH better then in 2033.

I absolutlely love the level where -

*SPOIILERRRRRRR ALERRRRTTTT**SPOIILERRRRRRR ALERRRRTTTT*
    *SPOIILERRRRRRR ALERRRRTTTT**SPOIILERRRRRRR ALERRRRTTTT*

you crash on the train with the little darkone and then go to the surface and he guides you.

These couple levels are fantastic, the rain and wind slapping you in the face with mud making you have to wipe ur mask off. LOVE IT.

Also the distance gunshots you can hear in the outdoor levels are a great addition too, making you think you are not the only stalker up there.

Character outfits are much better then the first and far more detailed.

The mutants in LL are top notch compared to 2033. You can stealth by mutants now, also thier behaviour and machanics are more challenging.

More mutant types is a plus, not getting bored with fighting the same nosalis type over and over.

I love anna, but I wanted MORE of her!

Dissapointed...no incredibly dissapointed in Miller and Ulman. What were they thinking? Only 1 or 2 wisecracks from Ulman and he was hardly in the game at all for that matter. Miller is now a bit of a ignorant jerk and you hardly see him either!

Railcar mission is my favorite indoor misson, where you get to stop and go on your own personal pimped-out railcar. Great level all around.

7. didymos

didymos Well-Known Member

Too much on rails? What, 2033 was an open-world game? It's no more or less linear than it's predecessor.

Actually, the plot is classic thriller material: a race against time to stop the enemy's plans.

8. antonk999

antonk999 Active Member

I noticed that too, and it can be annoying at times. The solution is to come closer to the character you're trying to listen on, and face them directly. The conversation audio in MLL is VERY directional, you can easily filter out side conversations by imitating real-life behavior - come into the speaker's personal space.

Personally, I like this aspect of the game, adds to the immersion and realism.

9. antonk999

antonk999 Active Member

The claymores are useful for setting up traps for the human enemies, and creating a "safe zone" in areas like the swamp where you have to start up the raft winch 2 or 3 times.

Let's say the switch is "north", the raft is coming from the "east". I haven't seen any enemies actually jump over the switch, so I'm assuming it's a 100% impassable object/area.

That leaves you with "south" and "west" to defend.

Scatter the claymores around the "south" direction, ~10 steps away from the switch, before activating it.

This leaves you with only "west" (the most likely path you took to get there in the first place, if you followed the flags) to defend.

Fighting off the spiderbugs and w/e else was annoyed by the switch noise to the west, and seeing the Claymore explosions to the south & chunks of (whatever-the-hell-that-was) flying in mid-air, makes it SO much easier to focus.

There are a few more places where Claymores can come in handy, basically anywhere that you can entrap & backtrack through, with a group of enemies following you.

But, yeah, overall they're more of a pain in the ass than they're worth... unless you've overdosed on playing Trap Assassin in Diablo 2, and always think in terms of "how can I make life more interesting for people, w/o actually being there?"...

10. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Finished the game.
    2033- 9/10
    Last Light - 8/10

Metro 2033 wins, bit LL was close.

11. thuner

thuner Well-Known Member

I really think LL is better than 2033, but Im disappointed because it looks almost like the Devs tried to do a remake of Metro 2033; They brought up a lot of stuff from the book (Metro 2033) which they didnt in Metro 2033 (the game). This made me.... feel weird. Though this story is also connected to Metro 2034 (Which I wont say why, because a lot of people wanna read the book first), and that made it a bit better, it's just.... idk.
    Game wise, it's great; The stealth always worked for me (missing a throwing knife always made them look my way, even if I was not seen), stepping under a lightbulb almost instantly made them detect me, having to wait at certain points to actually sneak efficiently made it also that much more fun. The mutants are great, both how they work and how many they added.

I hate that they changed the characters. They just didnt feel like themselves to be honest. Khan was.... not Khan. Well not compared to the last game atleast. Miller and Uhlman was also just not.... Miller and Uhlman. It was as though they had become poured up with work and just couldnt take anything BUT seriously.

The enviroments have been improved. I miss that more creepy feeling on the surface though. It was ok, but I would rather want that feeling of insecurity. You REALLY dont want to be there too long! The only place I would feel like that was in the marsh, but that was because I was out of bullets and had to defend the raft with only the knife :( :tsk:
    But overall, a great game. Fewer glitches than Metro 2033, one of the best thing they fixed was the gasmask. 89/100 because of the characters and the few glitches they had.

12. The Gusten

The Gusten Well-Known Member

I think M:LL is much better, I love that they imoroved the stealth mechanics.

13. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Love Last light soooo much fuck it game of the year (until gta5 ofcourse) great story, absurdly beutiful rain, and the surface O_O its so damn preety

14. Divair

Divair Active Member

Here's how I'd rate them.

Metro 2033: Pretty good.
    Metro LL: Freaking brilliant.

15. Chimera Knight

I keep seeing people say this and I'm wondering in what ways people think they improved the stealth?

They made the human AI dumber and changed it to where even if you step into the light they will not go on alert 99% of the time even if they are 5 feet away from you.

If people mean easier = improved, then yes they did.

16. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

I think the part about better stealth is if you get spotted in 2033 all enemies knows exactly where you are. in Last light they don't, instead when alerted they start searching for you, not uncommonly in groups of 2.

17. Cheaptricks

Cheaptricks Well-Known Member

I disagree. They WILL see you if they are facing you and you stand directly under a light. Even from a decenly far distance...

18. Explodotron

Explodotron Member

2033 will always hold a special place in my heart, but Last Light was definitely a great game.

19. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

The one thing about LL is I miss some of the gloominess and feeling of vulnerability and solitarity of teh first game. Last light seems mroe lighter, but then again I guess hope has quite a big part of LL.
    Other than that OH MY GOD WHAT A FUCKING AMAZING GAME!!!

20. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

finished it last night, actually at last light, just as the sun was setting here. I love the game but for a few things I'll point out:

hitmarkers (hate the damn things); familiar characters, Ulman, Khan, Miller, have, somehow lost their 'mojo'; Artyom's voice, I want his old voice back, from the English version of 2033; HUD and weapons' layout, preferred the 2033 HUD and weapons' system; and finally, the pickups/use icons, imho, they are way to big and intrusive. did I mention hitmarkers??

my veredict? 2033 is a great game, and so is Last Light. both come very close for me.

forgot to mention, Anna annoyed the hell out of me the first time I saw her. one more 'rabbit' and I'll leave her to the nosies!

#40 Jet Odessa, May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013