Do you expect that elder scrolls online will be f2p?

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online' started by fliktor7, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

It will definitely go F2P in the future. The game was a failure at launch and did not hit the required subscription numbers that the devs expected. I am not saying that the game is bad. It just isn`t that good to warrant a monthly subscription in my opinion.

2. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it will within the first half of 2016, maybe by the end of next year. They've just had nowhere near the success they (and everyone else) anticipated.

3. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Don't you guys know that TSO is already free to play and has been for a while now? You buy the game but you don't pay any subscription fees to play.

4. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

TESO is B2P right now, not the same as F2P. I think if their store is successful, they may well go full f2p in the future.

5. Jboh

Jboh Active Member
    Regular

If you have to make a purchase to play the game, then the game isn't free-to-play.

I can see ESO going free-to-play in the future, but right now I enjoy the sub model. It's a nice buffer against the myriad of younger gamers you see in almost all free-to-play games these days. Nothing against any kids who enjoy online gaming, but some of them can be pretty obnoxious. I can only handle so many sexist remarks, racial slurs, and just general bigotry in one day before I have to call it a night and go to bed.

6. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Your assumption that it is younger players amuses me. There are plenty of supposed adults exhibiting the same behavior.

7. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

What I meant, is, for it to go F2P in the sense that you just download the client and start playing, without having to pay for it. Not even buy it.

8. mopli

mopli Active Member
    Regular

At this point it won't be free 2 play, they have a steady fan-base and people really enjoy the content that zenimax is putting out there. So I don't think it will pe f2p, however if you are interested to play you should really buy it. It is pretty cheap if you buy it from kinguin.net, and it's really worth it.

9. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

It is sad to say that I think the answer is no, and it is mostly because there is money to be made like other users have said. That would be great, though, and it probably would increase the popularity, but we all know that comes behind money in terms of motivation for these companies. I will still oblige though and give them my money for a good product.

10. MarsL9

MarsL9 Member
    Regular

I'm a little late to the party but I'm now glad to say the yes! ESO is now free to play! The userbase has grown quite a bit since going free to play and so much more content has been added. The PVP now constantly have a max amount of players on for every faction so you never have to worry about logging on and not having anyone to play with.

11. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

But that really is the reason they should remove the box price. If the game is good, then people will support the game through store purchases.

I am not a fan of B2P as compared to cash-shop because it puts the risk on the player. If your game is good, make it free2play ( path of exile) and your players will reward you.

12. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it'll definitely go Free 2 Play, most likely in the mid-2016. They've already gone buy 2 play, which, though still not free 2 play, is a huge step down from the P2P model they opened with.

The reason they'll go F2p is that though they've a dedicated fanbase, it can support the game and the company for only so long. That's why they're experimenting with their in-game store. If that is successful, they'll take the F2P route, to attract more players and therefore, make more money.

13. userbutnotloser

userbutnotloser Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's hard to say because if they earn profits then they will never do or if they seem that their customers are declining then they will have to think hard over this major issue.

14. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

Considering that the only reason ESO was released is to piggyback on the success of Skyrim, I highly doubt they will make it a free game, as too many Skyrim fans would try it out of curiosity since they have truly enjoyed the previous game. So instead of working on a well made sequel in Elder Scrolls 6, they hired another company to do an online game in ESO.

15. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I doubt they will ever get rid of the B2P model.. I think most companies are beginning to realize that with really popular IPs, there is a huge cost associated with free-loaders, and mainly customer support and harrassment of paying customers. B2P adds a small barrier of entry that prevents ´bad´ people from ruining the experience of paying customers. With some games, mainly MMORTS and PVP games, completely free players are needed to be the ´sheep´ for the paying customers.. but with RPGs not focused on pvp, long-term free players are a burden on the development.

16. ToneyWatermeloney

ToneyWatermeloney Active Member
    Regular

More and more MMO's go f2p only after their subscriber base get a considerable drop. Unfortunately a lot of them will be pay to win though. It's a sad trend but no less true.

17. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

I personally don't think so. A B2P model is only going to work if there's a dedicated enough fanbase for the game IMO. And to be honest, the most profitable MMOs atm (except WoW and maybe FF) are all F2P, and growing by the day.

18. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I can see this game becoming F2P... eventually. It'll happen when there won't be many players playing it anymore.

19. isthismad

isthismad Member
    Regular

They have not officially announced it but there is a probability.

20. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would also not pay monthly bills for a single game. It just makes no sense. It's my favourite, though.