Do you expect that elder scrolls online will be f2p?

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online' started by fliktor7, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Corten

Corten Well-Known Member

Yes, I expect it. I don't think the game was a huge success and they have already droped the subscription fees. So, it's just a matter of time before it goes fully f2p, I'm sure I'll give it a try when it does.

2. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

Yeah, Im there with you. I mean, I'm sure they will keep some kind of monetization around, but it's only a matter of time. Sadly, the subscription model seems to be dead with the advent of big f2p games, and making a subscription based MMO seems like a death trap nowadays..

3. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

It's not even a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Even the PS4/XB1 version will be free to play after the initial purchase without needed a sub fee (although there will be an option of some kind).

This game reminds me of Age of Conan. Just like Conan, had all the hype in the world behind it. And just like Conan, ended up being a sub par product and went f2p.

4. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

To be fair, TESO didn´t hype themselves or mislead people like AOC did. AOC had marketing and dev people saying ´we are steak, WOW is hamburger´.. and stuff like that. The devs of TESO were mostly silent, and certainly not overhyping things. TESO suffered from just being caught in the middle of two genres. The things that made elder scroll games great just was not possible in a MMORPG... so no matter what they did, they were going to lose. If they made an online version of Skyrim, it would suck hard as a MMO, but if they made a good MMO, it would alienate all the Skyrim lovers. They ended up trying to split the difference, which basically made everyone unhappy. The game was not at all like Skryim, and at the same time, wasn´t a very good MMORPG.

5. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's going to happen, though I couldn't care less either way.

6. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Well-Known Member

It is free to play, just not free to download.

7. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Well-Known Member

What exactly about The Elder Scrolls was so great and couldn't be translated into an MMORPG? Why would Skyrim make a bad MMORPG? I'm not trying to pick on you I would just like to know what supports your argument.

8. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Well-Known Member
    Regular

TSO kind of dropped the ball in beta, they didn't really listen to the players feedback and went on with their own devices which in the end killed their games chance at a sub routine when word of mouth came out how badly misrepresented the game was. It was pretty much GUild Wars 2 with an Elder Scrolls wrapper. Really badly done.

9. devonbomer

devonbomer Active Member

Actually, I believe that Elder Scrolls Online IS becoming free to play. I haven't played it due to the cost, although I have read articles talking about how the transition to F2P is within reach. I'm still looking forward to it, and I believe you will still have to pay for the initial game / expansions.

10. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Well-Known Member

I agree, I think they should have kept the game mechanics just the way the were to begin with. It'd be just like Skyrim, but with other players walking around.

11. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

To be honest I will as I am willing to play it quite oon but I doubt this will happen. Maybe from here since a few years it might be considered as a possibility but at the moment the hcance that it turns ot be a f2p is equal to 0.

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it's going to be free to play, but not in the near future at least. They'll still make a little bit of profit before they lose all the sales, and then they're going to make the game F2P.

13. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

It doesn't matter to me whether they go F2P or not. I bought the game after I finished playing Skyrim and I was disappointed with the results. For now, I'm just going to wait for the next installation of the main series and bide my time with Morrowind since I was finally able to dig out my old copy while I was cleaning up around the house.

14. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

It might go F2P eventually, but not anytime soon. After the transition to a B2P model and the console release, the game has been doing quite well. (The Steam Release has been in the top 25 sellers since launch.) Maybe in a like 4 or 5 years when support for the game starts to wane, they might transition to that model as a last ditch effort to keep the game alive, but for the foreseeable future, I don't think there's plan for change.

15. Khatib22

Khatib22 Active Member

Absolutely, with how popular and profitable the free-to-play schemes have become, from a business standpoint it wouldn't make any sense to keep it a subscription model. Put it like this, the base game is free, but for specific swords and cosmetic items, you can drop $1.99 to pick them up. At least that's the way I see them looking at it.

16. prabab

prabab Well-Known Member
    Regular

Some people argue that subscription, as it makes the game more exclusive, makes its easier to form worthwhile community in such titles. Which is a good point in my opinion.

17. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would like it to stay B2P, if only the price was a bit lower. I was interested in trying it for quite a while now, and just when it was on sale on GMG I didn't have any money left for games :/

The reason I wan't it to stay buy to play instead of going free to play is because B2P titles usually have a better community.

18. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't think people really want to pay anymore, its kind of dying out thank god, hopefully it will be free we will see.

19. West

West Well-Known Member
    Regular

Maybe in the deep future. I've always thought that B2P was the best purchasing model, but I can understand why some people would want it to go F2P. I personally feel as though the inevitable paywall and pay-to-win features would ruin the game, but to each their own.

20. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

I never played the game prior to it going F2P. I was a Beta Tester, but never went through with the subscription after it went live. It just didn't interest me at all.

Now that ESO is F2P, I had the chance to explore the game a bit and realized it's quite interesting. It's still not as fun as WoW, but it has a beautiful world and I like the action-based fighting system instead of the auto-statistical battles that WoW uses.