Do you expect that elder scrolls online will be f2p?

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online' started by fliktor7, Jan 13, 2015.

1. fliktor7

fliktor7 Well-Known Member

Nowadays, there are a lot of games which are going into de free to play system.
    This one, elder scrolls online interests me, but I don't want to pay monthly for it.

Did you think than Bethesda will change the system and turn the game into f2p? It has happened with important games as Tera online or Aion the tower of eternity, so why not?

2. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it will after a little more time. There's already a few rumors speculating that the studio won't make enough money in the long run with enforced subs. The smart move would be to go with a F2P system and take several pages out of GW2's business model in order to do well. The problem with the MMO is that it did nothing to live up to its promised hype and they didn't deliver what they promised in beating GW2 in overall experience.

3. Epicfied

Epicfied Well-Known Member

I think there's a change that it will change to free to play. A rumor I hear was that they stopped allowing super advance payment on subscription (I think 6 month?) so maybe they're moving towards it slowly. I would definitely play if it wasn't subscription based. I would love to try it out if anything else.

4. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

At some point I think the game is going to need to go free 2 play in order to keep the player base up. Theres very few games that have managed to survive on a solely pay to play format.. I haven't played the game yet but I would be filling to give it a try if the game ever went Free 2 Play.

5. tournique

tournique Well-Known Member

Most likely yes, they won't generate enough profit in order to keep it subscription based.

6. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

As much as I would love it to go free to play, I know that it;s not happening in foreseeable future. They are simply not going to do it. It's doing good for the time being.

7. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

they will probaby give it more time to see how it does on consoles. I don´t think they did as much prep to go free2play as games like Wildstar did, where some of the f2p elements were already in game when it launched. I dont´think TESO is set up yet for f2p and they will have to do a lot of work first. They probably didn´t want to do that work until after the console release.

8. Stoyanow

Stoyanow Member

It certainly will..in time. But before they do that they'll make sure to load their pockets with money from in-game purchases. Once they lose too many players they will make it Free To Play.

9. majessticah

majessticah Active Member

Since the day that I got beta access to ESO and realized that the game was not going to be as great as everyone expected, I knew that there would come a day when it would eventually go free-to-play. Especially now that they've taken the physical copies of the game off the shelves (according to PC Gamer news) it sounds like they're preparing to go f2p. This is usually what happens when MMORPG's are overhyped, they usually end up falling flat of expectations and eventually going f2p, which is exactly why I didn't shell out the money to play it at launch.

10. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member
    Regular

Given the fact that many stores are pulling the game off the shelves, and given the game's poor situation, I'd say F2P is imminent for this. Hell, I don't get why they didn't make it free to play in the first place! Instead, they took the worse decisions they could take - paid game, paid subscription AND horse dlcs. Not to mention screwing over Xbox users - they have to pay for Xbox Live too!

11. Lucas

Lucas Active Member
    Regular

I hope so. TES is my favourite game series next to GTA, and I still can't believe why they did such a thing. I would definitely play TES:O if it was F2P, but I won't pay monthly for a game.

12. Setari

Setari Member

I deeply suspect that as much as Elder Scrolls Online wants to be the "WoW-Killer" of its generation... well, wrong wording because the only thing that's ever killed WoW was itself, but it will go F2P. As much as the devs don't want to do it, it will eventually. Their business model is flawed by making the subscription fee the same as World of Warcraft's, along with many other things they've done, i.e not making new content for lower leveled people to do and interact with them... stuff like that. Their first update was a max-level update. I mean, I understand why they did that, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the people at the time were not max leveled at all, and this only piled more things on top of them.

Honestly, I think they should have just made the sub fee ten dollars and took the hit. I think more people would be paying if it was. And I mean the monthly sub fee, not the whole "Oh pay for a year and you get this price instead, but you have to pay for a year up front!" thing. I dunno, maybe it's just me. 13 dollars even. I dunno. There was many other things done wrong with ESO and that's only barely touching the surface IMO.

13. Sinfield

Sinfield Active Member

It should be. At least, get rid of the subscription and use micro-transactions like most other games. The game is ok, but given the competition, it just can't compete with a subscription format.

14. Christian46

Christian46 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it'll definitely end up being F2P because that seems to be the way most other MMOs are going nowadays. My only issue is finding a good balance between using micro transactions to make money, and having those micro-transactions unbalance the entire game.

15. Sinfield

Sinfield Active Member

Guild Wars 2 got the micro transaction part right. They are cosmetic items that do not affect the gameplay in any kind, and what even better is that you can convert gold to gems, so you don't even have to spend real money on stuff from their shop. Although, I started believing that ArenaNet is responsible for the inflation of gems, the exchange rates are becoming ridiculous.

16. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

DDO has a really good f2p model, in my opinion the best one out there. So what is the word on TESO f2p, have they officially announced it yet?

17. Christian46

Christian46 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Personally, I think if you buy a game, micro transactions shouldn't exist inside the game. I'm not against having to buy the base game, and then having a subscription fee, but I don't think micro-transactions are fair in that case. I have, however, been wanting to try both DDO and Guild Wars 2, and I've heard that both games do micro-transaction correctly, so I might have to try them out.

18. Nolan Watt

Nolan Watt Well-Known Member

I think if a whole lot more people join, they will either lower the rate or get rid of it entirely.

19. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Maybe, but if the game became free to play there will be micro-transactions and it will be more expensive than being not free to play. Well, it's your choice to spend more money on f2p or not.

20. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member
    Regular

And to think we almost got a Fallout mmo. I shudder to think how similar to this it might have been.