Quantcast

Do you enjoy leveling up?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, Aug 31, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

RPGs require players to level up in order to become stronger to be able to stand a chance against the different bosses in the game. This is most of the time achieved by battling enemies over and over. Do you enjoy this aspect of Role Playing Games?

2. alfonso

alfonso Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the gaming concept of leveling up. Thats probably why I spent a lot if time playing RPG's and playing Pokemon on my now defunct Gameboy Advanced. I hate it though when they have a limit of level 50 or 100. You used to mostly see leveling up in RPG and action RPG type games, but now its in pretty much every kind of game in one way or the other.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

It's one of the aspects I enjoy the most. Especially in games where I can distribute skill points etc.

4. kelemenur

kelemenur Active Member

Yeah, a leveling system gives a very strong sense of progression through the game. Too bad developers mostly use this instead of writing a great story to get that feel. :(

5. bknight

bknight Active Member

I find grinding actually pretty fun, I remember the times I played WoW and spent grinding all night long alone by myself and actually enjoyed it, too bad I couldn't raid end-bosses by myself or the game would be much better sometimes.

6. GetFresh

GetFresh Member

This is the best part of the game. I spend a chunk of time grinding to level up my skills. With these types of games I have the mentality that I have to have everything maxed out to truly complete the game. A good example of this is Runescape. That's the only reason I kept playing it for so long.

7. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Not really in most MMO’s it’s more fun to dlvl so you can boss farm and make money to have uber gear and own people twice your level.

8. -Kian-

-Kian- Active Member

Leveling up is fun, depending on the game itself. I personally like leveling up in Skyrim, since it allows you to spend more points on talents. But in MMORPGs like WoW, it can be quite annoying after a while, since being a noob in World of Warcraft is the most fun.

9. SwordHungry

SwordHungry Well-Known Member

This is one of the funnest things about RPG's and MMORPG's. It makes you play the game for longer, and you get a good deal of satisfaction from reaching high levels and being higher ranked than other people. I like unlocking things by leveling up, it's a good incentive to keep playing the game.

10. TehMannie

TehMannie Active Member

Personally I don't enjoy the process of leveling but I enjoy the result. I love having a super powerful max level character in whatever game I play and I suppose it wouldn't be as satisfying if there was no process to getting that powerful but I can't help but despise leveling the way it is in most games. You have to spend countless hours grinding away as a less powerful version of the thing you actually want to be.

lindbergh likes this.
  11. Eva

Eva Active Member

It really depends on the game, for me. If it doesn't seem like too much grinding or seem too repetitve, I enjoy it. I enjoy levelling up more on an MMORPG over an RPG as a whole, though.

12. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Lol. That's a pretty good reply dude. Leveling up is definitely something that gives RPG lovers a warm feeling on the inside. The items that we get are also a plus when battling different opponents.

13. Teemo

Teemo Well-Known Member Regular

Believe it or not, I actually enjoy more the leveling part of the games, you get to experience the difficulties your character faces when he is "younger" and feel the confidence of his power when he is "older". But I also like RPG systems that scale according to your levels so there is always a challenge.

14. Flaxtick

Flaxtick Member

Leveling up IS the best part of RPGs let me concur. I mean when we invest all the time in one character it becomes only satisfying to see the character grow and acquire better weapons and armor, not to mention even the advanced skills that become available after every level up.

15. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

I enjoy it if there is some sort of choice for you when you level up, if I get to distribute stats and skills then it's great, but if it's like Pokemon where everything is set and you're just grinding away then it gets really boring.

16. iShootRocks

iShootRocks Member

It can be okay if done right. There needs to be some kind of fun involved, not just the same exact thing over and over. It can get really boring trying to level up in some games :(

17. drkn335

drkn335 Well-Known Member

I do like levelling up because you feel a sense of achievement when you are a really high level, however the process to level up is normally draining! And I'm not one of these players either that can grind all day on monsters, I have to level up by continuously doing quests to keep me entertained, which of course can get difficult.

18. ZackBanana

ZackBanana Member

I like the end result of leveling up, that feeling that you have accomplished a goal you set out to do. But I don't really enjoy the act of grinding to level up. Maybe if the games had engaging combat instead of the point-and-click system that most RPGs use. Unfortunately, I haven't come across many of these types of games.
    (I know this is off-topic, but if anyone could suggest RPGs with a good combat system, that would be great.)
    Another way that RPGs can make leveling more enjoyable could be to add more quests so that you have something to do until you become a high enough level. Make the quests closely follow and flow with the player's current level. What does everyone else think of this?

19. x0MandyLynn0x

x0MandyLynn0x Member

I believe leveling up is one of my favorite part of any Role Playing Game, and Massive Online Role Playing Game. It makes me feel like I've achieved something every-time I see the "Level Up!" pop up on my screen. And than usually you always get the opportunity to get skills once you do, to add to your character which is another reason I like to level up. I don't think an RPG would quite be a great RPG if we didn't have a leveling up system. Normally each game has a max level, it kind of gives you a goal to reach once you know what your max level is. So when you level, you know in the back of your mind you're getting closer and closer to reaching the max level goal. You also always get new skills. I don't think it'd even be possible in a RPG or MMORPG to get skills if you didn't have the whole level up system. So final answer is simple. Yes, I do!

20. Farseer

Farseer Member

Yes, if its not too hard to level up. It gives me a great sense of achievement and success, if it wasn't too easy, and mainly if it was given with a reward, loot!