Do you create male or female characters?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by grinder, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Tinkerbelle

Tinkerbelle Member
    Regular

I usually create female characters because I am a female and I think the female avatars look alot better than the male ones. There seems to be more creative ability when it comes to the design itself. Male characters are just too plain in general, for me, but I prefer a female character anyhow. I give them female names too because I want others to know I am a girl gamer. I'll admit the names I pick are a bit out there, but I like them so it works for me, plus the names are unique and often available, which is a huge plus to me. I hate spending too much time on creating a character name because the others are unavailable.

2. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's exactly what I said, lol. You sigh like this is a bad thing! ;)

I think it really depends on the game too, or what kind of character I'm making. Especially when it comes to MMORPGs, I usually have a certain character in mind, and I'll create it based on that. It just usually gravitates towards me wanting to create a hot chick character, lol.

3. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

I find it interesting that real life female players only make characters that are female. Is it because the idea of being a different gender is too different? I mean I personally do 50/50.

4. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member
    Regular

Tend to choose male characters. I dont know why maybe it is some sort of complex but it has never really occurred to me create a female character. I have heard in some games it can provide a slight advantage apparently in S4 league for instance female characters have an ever so slightly smaller hitbox making them a little bit harder to aim at but Ive never checked that out for sure myself.

5. Kalabrink

Kalabrink Member
    Regular

I am a girl and I only made male characters when I first started gaming, but I later made female characters. I'd heard so many horror stories of girls getting harassed on games among other things, and all the girl characters tended to have skimpy outfits. I took a chance one day and created a girl character, and people didn't bother me when they found out that I was actually a girl. I still don't wear skimpy armor though.

6. Cyborg Superman

Regular

I have a female character in an MMO game that wears a skimpy outfit and gets "harassed" all the time... but also gets a bunch of stuff for free all the time, lol. So it kind of balances out.

If the people get too annoying though, I just ignore them. It's actually pretty easy to block someone in an MMO usually since griefing, etc. can be pretty common. You put them on ignore and they'll even be blocked from entering the pick-up mission as you.

7. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member
    Regular

I go fifty-fifty with my characters. It's nice to have some variety. And I can't honestly say I've ever really been harassed while wandering around with a female avatar, or at least not recently. I recall it happening more often back in the old days of Ragnarok Online, but RO didn't really have great ways to protect against abuses of that nature so I assume harassment was just harder to avoid.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm a woman and I create female characters because I like to think of the character as an extension of myself. It helps me get immersed into the game if my character looks as much like me as possible.

9. TheNapier

TheNapier Member
    Regular

Depends on how good the models and options are, usually. Many times I find that male characters are buff and distorted to the point of being ugly, but the females have the 'metal lingerie' problem. While I don't enjoy that sort of thing myself, I can see the appeal- I just wish most games had more options.

Overall, I have three characters that I like to play with on all games. One light build, albino, caster type male; one tall, medium build, dark haired ranger type male; and finally a medium build, brown haired rogue type female.

#69 TheNapier, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  10. Funky Fingers

Funky Fingers Active Member
    Regular

I always create Male characters when playing games, as my sex is male. I never really understood why people made characters of the opposite sex that they were, always thought it was a bit weird but everyone has the opportunity to do what they want I guess :/

11. Player7

Player7 Active Member
    Regular

I once met a guy who actually used a female name for his character and usually played with female characters. He was trying to get free stuff and this didn't work a bit. Perhaps he wasn't that credible :D. Anyways I've heard the stories where guys impersonating girls do get free in game stuff and that's how they save some dollars.

Sometime ago I used to play a game and had a female character (wasn't after free stuff) but one friend who also went to the same school and played the game found it strange because in his mind girls should make girl avatars and guys had to stick out with male avatars.

12. malavicious

malavicious Hero of Justice
    Regular

If it's a dressup simulator like Maplestory or other Nexon games, then I tend to make female characters, because making your character look cute is half of playing the game for me. If it's just a generic fantasy inspired RPG, then I'll go male, because at that point it doesn't matter and sometimes I'm just too lazy to hit the change gender button.

13. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I always make female characters because most games I have played already have male main characters so I'm a bit tired of it by now after years of playing many different video games. Also, I kind of prefer the movement animation because it seems a bit more fluid. And lastly I just prefer the variety in clothes since I find male clothes a bit dull.

14. Cyborg Superman

Regular

I can tell you from my own experience playing a female character in an MMO, a lot of players don't even confirm if you're really male or female. I play a female character in an MMO and I get stuff sent to me all of the time, unsolicited. I even get stuff sent from players I've never even chatted with. It's kind of funny (and weird at the same time). Hell, I won't say no to stuff, but I also won't lie. If someone asked me "are you male or female in real life", I'll always answer truthfully. I think most players don't want to know though...

I personally treat each character at face value; meaning that if the person is playing a female character, I'll assume female when grouping with "her"; meaning I'll say "she" or "her" or whatever. It doesn't matter to me because I'm not trying to "hook up" or flirt or any of that jazz, I'm just there to play the game.

15. IgCho

IgCho Active Member
    Regular

I generally make male characters since I like to insert myself into the story of the games I play, so as a male that's just the common sense choice for me.

16. mett1982

mett1982 Active Member
    Regular

I have to admit, I am a girl and I usually create male characters. I don't know why. I think it's because if it's an adventure game, I feel like it would be a male character that is doing the adventuring instead of a female. I guess I get more involved with the game when it's a male character. I have made female characters and I just get bored with them.

17. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, I usually create male characters. In fact, I try to create characters that resemble me as much as possible. It sounds narcissistic but its true :)

18. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member
    Regular

I usually try to create characters that look like me as well. I feel a little strange making a male character. I mean... I've always made females. Even in sims.. I felt strange making a male character and often preferred having my toon meet someone rather than creating someone for her. Felt better to me. Must be a girl thing.

19. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, I mostly go for male characters straight ahead for playing serious, when it comes to creating a second account I definitely go ahead and create a female character so I can ask men for money and some help you know, ahha.

20. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

That would be a strange reason haha... Either way, most male players I have met were playing female characters anyway. Just curious, were you asking other players for money based on the character gender or something else?