Quantcast

Do you care about the story?

Discussion in 'The Division' started by troutski, May 4, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

While I agree with you I still think there needs to be a little bit of backstory, you can't just go in and shoot people randomly because that's what the game is all about. The Division is a little bit RPG oriented.

2. harlek

harlek Active Member Regular

I think a good story is a strong driving point for a game. Yes you can argue that a good game doesn't have to have a fully pledged, Hollywood movie story but it gets the player going since you'd have something to expect once the game has ended or something like that.

I'm a huge fan of storylines in games but only if they're done right. Not like what other games do where every 5 minutes you get a cut scene just to remind you that the game has some narrative to follow (*cough* Metal Gear *cough*)

3. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Well-Known Member Regular

I'm always surprised when a great game comes out with a poor or inconsistent storyline. It seems that compared to the complexities of programming, a full and engaging backstory should really be easy for them to accomplish in comparison. Its never going to be as important as gameplay to me, but it is a vital part of any game and is vital in attracting a large number of players to any new game.

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  4. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member Regular

The storyline is important. A game wouldn't be a game without it.

5. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member Regular

Hm... Not that much currently. Right now, I am more looking forward to the open-world and multiplayer tactical TPS/FPS action.

6. karamara

karamara Active Member Regular

I'm not a fan of heavy storylines in games but it's not unwelcome addition. My only complain about games with heavy storylines is that they tend to forgot that their presenting a video game and not a Hollywood movie.

Many games with great stories tend to have poor or very simple gameplay mechanics that, if not for the story, the game itself would collapse. But as for this game, I wouldn't mind a cool story to go along the shooting and looting.

7. beccagreen

beccagreen Well-Known Member Regular

I think gameplay should come as a first priority compared to story. I mean I love a good story (like in Bioshock Infinite) but gameplay for me is more important since it's the essence of video games. If you're just in it for the story then you're better off watching the whole game as a movie (there's a bunch of those kinds of things on Youtube)

Also since there's a mention of a guidebook for this game, I think they can get away with not having cut scenes to tell the story in this game if you can just read it before hand.

8. Celerian

Celerian Well-Known Member Regular

Story is really important but not as much as gameplay

9. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

Further to this, I'd even take a simple or cliché story line as opposed to poor or inconsistent (or no story for that matter). The premise for this game is good, but we still want to know exactly who the Division is, why certain people were suddenly awakened and how they were chosen to be part of the Division. I hope we get some good answers to these questions.

10. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member Regular

I care about the story a lot. It might be one of the deciding factors in whether or not I get the game. Now, I know story isn't the focus of the game at all, but I'd like to have a good reason to do whatever I'll be doing throughout the game.

11. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

True, but I think we already have a reason to do what we are doing:

According to the IGN The Division Wiki Guide:

"You're part of The Division, an organization developed around Operation Dark Winter. In reality, Dark Winter was just a simulation that took place in 2001; however, this game makes it real in their universe. In 2007, President George W. Bush signed Directive 51, launching The Division's Agents into effect.

About three weeks ago, many sleeper cell agents released a weaponized virus in the United States. The Division tried to stop it, but they failed. This day was known as Black Friday. The entire population was nearly wiped out in the process. The Division's goal is to save what remains and restore society.
    "

That sounds pretty cool to me and enough of a premise to keep me interested. :)

12. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member Regular

When playing a game, the story is always important to me. It's so hard for me to remain focused throughout the entirety of a game when there is no solid storyline. It definitely matters to me. I'm always looking for a strong story, up until the very end.

13. Delirium

Delirium Well-Known Member Regular

I do, and I'm very disappointed that they're focusing on the gameplay and ditching the story. I mean it's good that we'd get great gameplay, but I like paying attention to the story when I play or watch something so it's probably going to bother me a lot. I'm just hoping that it'll be at least decently written, and not completely horrible and basic.