Quantcast

Do you care about the story?

Discussion in 'The Division' started by troutski, May 4, 2015.

1. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

As I mentioned in another thread, Ubisoft stated that it was focusing upon gameplay over a fully fleshed out story. What are your thoughts on this? Do you prefer a strong story? Is it necessary for a game to be successful? I don't mind either way as long as the gameplay is fantastic.

2. Zarentu

Zarentu Active Member

Well as a person that enjoys the RP aspect of most games that I play I usually do enjoy when the game has a good and strong storyline to support it because then what are you trying so hard for. You gotta be the savior of the people and champion of the land. So it's good when there is a story to enrich the game play.

troutski likes this.
  3. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

I'm kind of hoping that Ubisoft gives us a lot of backstory and a solid framework for what our actual goals are, but then lets the world speak for itself and still give the players the feeling that they're working toward some ultimate goal.

4. andkno

andkno Member

I didn't know that Ubisoft stated that, It's kind of a boomer for me tho, I really enjoy a great story, I don't think it is strongly necessary for a game to be successful, but a well worked story with a strong game-play can help any franchise grow stronger. I will still get the game anyway, but if the story sucks I would probably end up finishing it and selling it.

5. Neddison

Neddison New Member

Honestly I'm someone who enjoys story and I tend to rely on it heavily when choosing a game to play. I dunno about anyone else but I seriously do hope Ubisoft gives us a some kind of story and why we're doing what ever it is we're doing. Of course gameplay really does need to exist for the story to be good as well. They both should be hand in hand, but honestly I do think a heavy story is something I seriously want to see.

6. I trust Ubi, I'm sure we'll get at least a passable story. I mostly play for the gameplay and don't care much for the storyline, it's important to others, so hopefully they'll bring something good to the table. Either way, I'm still super hyped.

7. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Since this is a multiplayer focused game, I don't mind that much if there's not an actual story. In games like these, the story is what you get from the emergent gameplay: it's how you play, and how you interact with other players and so on and so forth. I bet that's what Ubisoft is doing here, everyone will have their own story to tell, and their own unique experience.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I hope the story is going to be at least decent since it's an RPG game, but the gameplay needs to be up there as well. Hopefully the game will be good overall when it launches,

9. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

Story is pretty much always important to me, but after the first play through it's obviously going to take a back seat to the gaming experience. So, y'know, yes at first, but ultimately meh? I'll never begrudge a good storytelling experience, at any rate, and despite some of their problems Ubisoft usually tells a solid story.

And, hey, semi-post-apocalyptic warzone with a raging virus. What can really go wrong with that? C'mon, now.

10. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Ubisoft, believe it or not, is actually good at writing but is also bad at storytelling because they give priority to the open world so the narrative often feels fragmented even if there are good ideas. That's why I don't have much expectation with the story.

11. FuZyOn

I think everybody lost hope with the story from the moment they announced that it isn't too important for them. Now, if the story will be at least half of the ones from previous Assassin's Creed games then that's fine by me, I'll enjoy it! Hopefully open world compensates.

12. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

The story is what drives role playing games. Since it's open world, that means it will be so much more epic with a fantastic story to go along with it. Too bad it's going to come out on UPlay. Otherwise, I would have enjoyed a game like this very much.

13. Amazon XD

Amazon XD Member

Depends on how much they focus on scripted narrative vs player built story. From the teasers I've seen, it seems like they're really pushing the idea of cooperative play. In that regard, maybe a lot of the "story" will come from cool moments you do with your friends.

14. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member Regular

Considering the game seems to be very heavily multiplayer, I don't see a fully fledged story being as important. Background information is great to help setting an overall feeling, but the players will really be what gives the game it's feel.

15. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

I think a good story goes hand-in-hand with a good premise, and this game has it. I'm glad it's not fully post-apocalyptic yet but instead drops us in a few weeks after the big event. That alone sets is apart from other similar games for me. The story can be simple as long as it's engaging, and looking at the trailers and game play videos, it seems like this one is.

Watching a few trailers gave me everything I needed to know to be able to submerge myself into this world and got me psyched to know more about the virus, and the members of the group.

16. FuZyOn

I think this is a pretty accurate idea of what they had in mind with the game. The premise is good enough to make the story not that important and as long as the gameplay and atmosphere is mesmerizing not a lot of people will complain.

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  17. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Yes, I've played a few time with a friends and you manage to emphatize really well with the characters and the storyline itself. The environment is iteself really well designed even for the multiplayer part.

18. Codygr89

Codygr89 Member

Games like this the story isn't really needed imo. There are games i play for the story, others for just the content (pvp and etc) this is the latter !

19. Benetnasch

Benetnasch Member

I am a very story driven person. A game without or too little story kind of turns me off. I guess I could play it for multiplayer? But hm...

20. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

That sounds pretty promising. Did you get a chance to play this game at E3?

There still has to be a minimum amount of story, I would think. Or at least a solid premise or something you can wrap your mind around. I don't necessarily know all of the lore surrounding Call of Duty but I still have a general idea and can submerge myself into the world when I play multiplayer.

There will be a single player portion of this game, so I'd imagine there has to be some kind of story line. The videos so far have been crazy awesome with the chatter between your computer controlled teammates. It looks sick!