Quantcast

Do I have to play the other games to get the story?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts' started by FruitCakeFairy, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Okay, so the only game I've played was the first one in the series and that was a long time ago. Lately I've been feeling a sense of nostalgia for the game since I remember having so much fun playing it on my gamecube. But I don't really wanna have to play all the other games, mainly the ones for the handheld systems, to play the upcoming Kingdom Hearts 3. I mean I will if I have to, but I'm not that invested in this series to be honest.

2. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

You'll know most of everything if you play the two main games, but it's a lot more interesting if you play some of the side games, too.

3. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

You would just have to play the first and second one, the handheld games are optional I believe, I've never played them and I'm just gonna get the 3rd. If you don't want to play through them again I'm sure there is a way to find a synopsys online.

4. ChilledFlamez

ChilledFlamez Member

I 'd say yes. The main series would give you a general idea for the story but all the handleld games explain tons of loose ends and plot points that don't add up. You could jump to the third game if you want, but there will be no explanation as to who some of the characters are or why the events in the game are happening in the first place.

5. TurningCoffee

TurningCoffee Member

I think if I had to recommend just one of the handheld games I'd say make sure you play the original Chain of Memories. This isn't for the sake of the story, but it's because the gameplay system in that game was fantastic. I also feel like the DS title (357/8 days? I forget the exact name) was a pretty nice thing to know about the Kingdom Hearts universe.

6. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

Yes. If you didn't play all the game it you will be confused about the story but you should just play the first and second of Kingdom Hearts. 1st and 2nd is the most important of the series but if you want to know what happened before you can play Birth by Sleep and 358/2 days.

7. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

I guess you could skip over some of the games ... could. But I personally would recommend playing them anyway. :) I don't see why not! They're really great games after all, and especially Chain of Memories you should be sure to play if nothing else. That one was absolutely incredible, whether it is crucial to the story or no. I agree with TurningCoffee on 358/2 Days as well; really great one, and it featured Xion who is one of my favorite characters. It takes place between KH and KH2 if timeline factors are important to you at all.

The one game I'd say you can definitely pass over though would be Dream Drop Distance. I actually didn't even complete that game because it didn't catch my interest, and I don't feel like the series is lacking without it in any way. It was my least favorite in the series, personally.

8. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member Regular

You should definitely play at least Birth By Sleep, since the story is extremly important in the overall story of Kingdom Hearts. BBS, I and II are the ones I have played, and I never had any problems understanding the story. You can read up on /watch the cutscenes of the other games if you want to make sure you don't miss anything.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Yup, this is the correct answer here. Birth By Sleep is mandatory if you want to understand the story, but if you're looking to know more about Kingdom Hearths' plot then you should definitely play the first two games. The handheld games aren't that important to the story.

10. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

The first two have more story in them and can be enjoyable as well as you will understand what the game is about and how the different characters are in the game, and what their role is like Donald Duck and Goofy who are good as allies in the battles. The birth by sleep takes place nine years before the first one and has a good story and Mickey is a King in the game, and a good one as well who rules well in the game and does hard work. I have played the second game which was interesting, and found the music relaxing and also was well designed and enjoyable to play with friends.

11. Sweeriebanana

Sweeriebanana Active Member Regular

If you have the time to and the games readily available to you, I don't see why you shouldn't play all the kingdom hearts. I loved the first and second cause of the storyline. They were so detailed and very interesting. I wouldn't mind to play them over and over again. I don't like the feeling of not knowing what's happening.