Quantcast

Diplomacy or Warfare?

Discussion in 'Civilization VI' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 17, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

The age old question in Civilization games. Will I be a peaceful leader, helping and making deals with other nations so we can all thrive in peace and prosperity for the next 50 years, or should I just raise an army and raze their cities to the ground, salting the earth in their fields so that nothing may grow? What do you guys often do? The peaceful (and incredibly boring) approach, or the leave nobody breathing approach?

2. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

I like to have a neutral relation with most players in the game for as long as possible.
    However, I don't mind mixing up my playstyle from time to time, so I don't get too predictable, which can occur especially when playing with the same group of friends.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I always like to be the powerful leader that raises an army and dominates everything, I almost never go for diplomacy when I play Civilization, it's not the most entertaining way of playing the game. :p

4. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

What's your favourite era to strike in? I personally like to launch my first attacks when I have trebuchets and knights.

5. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member Regular

Usually you need a balance of the two, choosing your allies wisely. Being a warmongering state would leave you like North Korea in real life :p

6. YaBoyJoey

YaBoyJoey Member Regular

Ehhhh, I'd say you can be pretty successful with your warmongering so long as you have the proper military to back it up. Still, though, conflicts with more than two civilizations at once do make it a little bit tougher, but you could probably pull through in most situations if you play defensively and don't overextend too much. Normally I deal with the warmonger status by freeing a city state or two to get it wiped.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

Well I am pretty sure that I am like most other people when it comes to this, but I always have to start by going the diplomatic role. I just feel that it is the right way to play the game, and of course the definition of "right" is always relative. That said, though, along the way I do get more war-like, and once that first game is over I go to more and more war mode, because that is just more fun.

8. PeanutButterMan

PeanutButterMan New Member

Haha! I guess I like both. Some playthroughs I try just playing as passively as possible, respecting other nations and just doing my thing. Other times I just go all out and starting warmongering from day one >:).

9. AxelR

AxelR Member Regular

Balance in all things. I personally like to start off slowly, get some allies first and after some time I change my play style to aggressive. But sometimes I just feel like raising an army and becoming more powerful using brutal force.

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

I like to build up my strength first so that I can release my wrath later. :D
    After all it is a game and you can do there what you wouldn't never do in real life. If things don't work out you can always start again. :D

11. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I've never been all that good at diplomacy in these games, so I tend to lean towards warfare and wiping out the other civilizations in the game.

12. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

I like warfare because it's more exciting though in real life I am never for it but when it comes to video games where there are no consequences I find it more enjoyable. I like mixing between the two to get the full experience though.

13. Arctic21

Arctic21 Member

I go for multiple playthroughs. I start off as a peaceful leader for the first playthrough then I am totally aggressive in the second. I do this with a lot of games that give me a choice on how to play. It makes the game last longer for me.

14. Nelfy

Nelfy Member Regular

My favourite strategy, that I found mainly by accident, due to my passive approach in strategy games in general, is that while I spend most of my time and resources expanding and exploring, I see the countries around my waging costly wars and deploying tons of units to conquer each other. I tend to be the last survivor, more often than not, just because I choose the neutrality approach. Also, due to the fact that i spread my cities all over the map, that allows me to quickly pickup the remains of a weakened civilisation. I am not going to lie, this is a sneaky approach and probably by far the best, but it is one that I often use in my gameplays. It gives me the freedom and time I need and want to grow and expand and at the same time it doesn't push me in directions i do not wish to take (the warlord one). I have tried the other method of gameplay also, by building a potent army and being ready to quickly send out troops to conquer enemy cities, while making allies with other great powers, but then I find myself missing out on some research that I always like to adopt and build upon. So, in the end, it mainly revolves around the type of player your are, and with Civ this gives you freedom to express yourself through your gameplay.

15. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Well-Known Member Regular

I am a war mongering leader who makes his enemies bow to him. I prefer playing war over diplomacy because to me it is just so much more fun. It is very satisfying to take down a civ that has been denouncing you, or stealing your land. The payoff after coming up with a huge strategy to taking them down is also great.

16. Hectic

Hectic New Member

And let's be honest with ourselves, war has always been far more entertaining than diplomacy in Civ games. Crushing your enemies by marching infantry and tanks into their cities, while bombarding them with planes is just too much fun to not do literally every game.

Maybe if they introduced a more advanced diplomacy system, which consisted of more than just half a dozen things to say, it would make me consider switching sides.

17. iRoxas

iRoxas Member Regular

I'm more of a peaceful guy and I wouldn't want to disturb anyone else while they're doing their own thing, since it would make me feel bad if I didn't have to. Even without destroying cities and taking their resources, you could grow, even if it is a little bit slower.

18. Calinpls

Calinpls Member Regular

Most of the time I go for the good ol' strategy of.. well, killing them all, of course.
    Esspecially on higher difficulties, it's sometimes intrigueing to fight Shaka or Montezuma in their golden age, since all they do is build units and denounce whoever dares to meet them.
    What I find even more interesting though is a no-violence strategy. I sometimes try this when I want to feel challanged or when I'm bored. Here's how it goes: you can never have more troops than the amount of cities you own. I'm yet to succed on diety, but I got away with it once on Immortal though I had an excellent roll and questionably friendly neighbours. This way, the diplomat in you will find a way to flourish.. or die. Mostly die. Feel free to check it out!

19. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

That's why games are so appealing. No one would ever do in real life what they do in games, if you did you would be locked away and the key would be thrown away.

20. jasonr299x

jasonr299x Active Member Regular

Without a doubt, I am the type of person to try to conquer every nation within sight and burn every city to the ground.

Ever since I was little, I've always tried to be the best at what I was doing. I don't know why, but I've always had a competitive fire in me that could not be put out. When I first started playing Civ, I tried playing extremely slow and meticulously. Every game seemed to drag on for an eternity and I was wondering why I was constantly losing. I was playing to react to what the enemies were doing, rather than setting myself up for success and capturing all those that dare oppose me.

One day, I decided to see what it would be like to win a game through total domination. I made a game with a bunch of bots on the lowest difficulty, and I unleashed some kind of primal rage on them.

From the very first turn, I had the idea in mind that that game would be MINE. I went into every battle thinking, no, actually KNOWING, that victory would be mine in the end. Before I knew it, I had captured three city states and I was on the borders of the second highest ranked nation in the game.

That game ended very, very quickly, and I can only attribute that to the ruthless approach I took to the game. I did whatever I could to get my enemies to work against each other, and just when they least expected it, I would swoop in and take the land that was rightfully mine.

From that day one, I've played every game of Civilization with the exact same mindset, and I can say that my gaming experience has been improved at least a hundred fold simply because of that.

I'm not quite sure how people can force themselves to play slowly. Even when I was doing, I was simply succumbing to what all my friends did at the time, not because I enjoyed it. I feel like playing slowly turns the game into who can get bored and mess up before everyone else, instead of what it should be, which is a bloody, gritty, battle between the powers of the world.

Just my $0.02.