Different Timelines?

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by I Hate Lurkers, Dec 8, 2012.

1. I Hate Lurkers

I Hate Lurkers Well-Known Member

Alright, so I'm not sure if I'm the only one who's noticed this but there seemed to be different timelines between the novel, a trailer, and a demo on Artyom's childhood. In the novel, Artyom's mother is killed by rats when he is a baby. Note, he is a baby and not a newborn in the novel. In the live action trailer, Artyom is a newborn and his mother never makes it to the Metro and he is taken the by the Commander (does this mean Alex is the Commander?). In the 12 minute demo for Welcome to Moscow, I'm sure people have seen it but I will post links below if you haven't, Artyom has a flash black when he sees an ice cream sign. In the flash black, Artyom is sees the same ice cream sign while holding his mothers hand during a ride on a pre-war Metro train. So in the demo, Artyom is clearly old enough to stand, walk, and most importantly, remember. This would mean in the demo Artyom is about 3 or 4 year old and is a child. But to wrap this up:

Novel = Artyom baby when mom dies in Metro and is raised by Alex.

Trailer = Artyom newborn when mom dies on surface and is raised by 'Commander Daddy' (Alex?).

Demo = Artyom is child before the nuclear war and is old enough to stand, walk, and remember.

Either they are different adaptions or the developer's fucked up during the demo. Metro 2033 the game runs parallel to Metro 2033 the novel most of the time. So if Metro Last Light is after the bad ending of Metro 2033 the game, then shouldn't Metro Last Light follow the chronological order of Metro 2033? By this I mean all the events that happened in Metro 2033 the game, should have happened to Artyom and the Metro Universe in Metro Last Light. Including the events around Artyom's childhood. So Artyom should not have had the flash back in the demo, unless Metro Last Light is on a different timeline than Metro 2033 the game. What do you this?

Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdS6IHRAsrk

Novel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_2033_(novel)

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95LF-JBRMOs

#1 I Hate Lurkers, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  2. Heavygunner

Heavygunner Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that the Baby from the live action trailer is not Artyom.I think its a random Baby.And i heard somewhere that all persons from the live action trailer
    have nothing to do with the MLL story

(If you find some grammar fails please tell me^^)

3. I Hate Lurkers

I remember reading somewhere that the baby is Artyom, I'll have to find it.

4. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

As an expert on the manner, trust me, that isn't Artyom in the live action trailer.

5. I Hate Lurkers

either way. there is still a clear difference between the childhood events during Metro 2033 and the flash backs of Metro Last Light

6. Teddy Picker

How so? The only flashback they show is Artyom and his mother pre-war, it doesn't conflict with canon at all.

7. I Hate Lurkers

Alright. In Metro 2033, Artyom was a newborn, he was born a few days BEFORE the nuclear war. Metro Last Light follows Metro 2033 in chronological order. Yet they have flash backs of him as a child before the war. Do you see the conflict? How can he be a week old and three years old at the same time?

8. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

as far as I know in the novel artyom was born about 2 years before the bombs. and where in the game does it say he is born but a few days before the bombs?

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

Here.
    "I was born in Moscow, but I remember nothing of that time. I was just an infant when the old world was destroyed in the flames of nuclear fire"

10. I Hate Lurkers

exactly. there is something clearly wrong with the game's linear history. how can he be a child and an infant at the same time?

11. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Its obvious. The flashback in last light could be after artyom is in the metro. Perhaps he was with his mother till then, after which they got seperated. Its also possible that this is not his mother. But alex's wife during the time shortly after alex adopted him. But then the question happens that what happened to this female?

12. I Hate Lurkers

You realize that there is no panic, everyone is normally dressed, there are no weapons, and there is an abundance of electricity, right? The first few years in the Metro, which in your theory this flash back had to take place, were complete chaos. People killed each other over the simplest things like a load of bread. It wasn't until later that stations and alliances were formed. Moscow was bombarded with nuclear missiles and EMPs. There was not any electricity in the Metro until equipment was scavenged from the surface and Metro-2 to replace generator parts. This has to be pre-nuclear holocaust metro train. Also, to clear up the whole Alex's wife thing; Artyom's mother was killed when he was a baby, she handed Artyom off to Alex before the station was overrun. In the Trivia section on the Metro 2033 Wikia for Alex, Sukhoi in the novel, it is stated "Sukhoi is not married or in any relationship." It also goes onto say, "Sukhoi gets nervous when seeing a mother and a child, because he never got married or had kids." With all the information in mind, this therefore cannot be a flashback of post-nuclear holocaust Metro.

Source: http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Alex

13. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Yeah but that is in the novel. The games coul be completly dofferent. But we all the know the real answer is that artyom is a time loard

14. I Hate Lurkers

The novel and game are actually quite similar. And yes. He's fucking Inspector Space Time.

15. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Waiy maybe that wasnt a flash back of artyom! Remeber everyone is havimg weird flashbacks and thinking there the ones in it and it is happening for real. So msybe it is one of those flashbacks!

16. I Hate Lurkers

It was Artyom. Artyom was in first person with Pavel when he saw the sign in 2034. Then it flashed back to the first person of the child who saw the sign and the female with the child called the child Artyom, to which the child responded. Also the words Pavel said directly after the flash back in 2034 were the exact same words the female said during the flashback, kind of like an echo effect that triggered the flash back. It is common that if two or more elements collide they can cause a flash back if they were both present in the same random memory. Basically the sign and the words set off the flash back. It had to have been Artyom. Why would Artyom have someone else's flash black in first person?

#16 I Hate Lurkers, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  17. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Like Teddy Picker has said, the people shown in the LL live-action trailers are most probably not connected to the plot of the games or the books. They are simply used to signify the different aspects of the Metro universe and, of course, to promote Metro: Last Light to audiences (especially those from the West, who are mostly new fans and don't know as much about the franchise as many people on this forum do - which would explain our confusion with that being Artyom or not).

As for what we see in the demo: Dark Ones are known to manipulate people's memories in order to show them different images and communicate with them in usual ways. As is revealed in "The Gospel According to Artyom", the protagonist of the first two books was saved from wolves as a child when he first ventured onto the scorched surface, by a Dark One who used Artyom's memories in order to show him his mother. Assuming some Dark Ones survived the ending of Metro 2033, they could be invading Artyom's mind once again to show him something.

18. Teddy Picker

^This.

Dark ones definitely survived, Bamul, were you around for the image leak? I think it was some time in June.

19. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

No saddly bamul was not ): I asked him before. Byt I was :)

20. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yeah, unfortunately, I wasn't. That was during the time when I was completely absent from the forum. :(