Did you enjoy the original Fallout?

Discussion in 'Fallout' started by troutski, Jun 15, 2015.

1. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

The original Fallout was a far different game compared to Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Of course, most people know that, but not everyone has played the original game or its sequel. What did you think of Fallout 1? I happened to appreciate the game for what it spawned, but the game itself wasn't exactly thrilling for me.

2. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the game is genius in everything that it does. Fallout: New Vegas came very close to the feeling you get, by playing the Original, but that is because most of the original developers worked on New Vegas. I totally loved Fallout 1 and I`m replaying it and Fallout 2 every two years.

3. cassidy

cassidy Member

When I first played it I was completely shocked by the game. Even then we all knew the graphics was not exactly the highlight of the game, and the story and the mechanics was just brilliant. It was my first RPG game too.
    Like Chris_A i return to FO1 periodically and it never fails to be fun and engaging. I must have played it through six or seven times by now and somehow it does not get boring, which testifies to the quality of the original release.

4. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

It is nice to see someone else replaying the classic. I think the game was so revolutionary because of the freedom it gave you. Also, you could beat the game simply by talking the the main boss into killing himself, if you had high enough speech skill. It was insane at the time.

36 people like this.
  5. rodthevapenrat

rodthevapenrat New Member

Oh yea I love FO & FO2 its on every computer I have ever owned and of course it's on my current PC

"War,war never changes

Only The Means of Destruction"

6. heatblast92

heatblast92 Member
    Regular

I thought the first Fallout game was a bit shorter than its sequels. You are also required to complete the water chip quest within a given time limit, which some might say somewhat restricts your freedom to fully explore the post-apocalyptic world of Fallout. Said time limit screwed me over the first time I played it, though I am able to appreciate the fact that it was probably intended to create a sense of urgency in finding the water chip before everyone in your home vault dies of thirst, unlike the later Fallout and Elder Scrolls games where you are free to put off the main quest for in-game days so that you can indulge yourself in various side quests

That said, it would be nice to go back to one's roots, despite its flaws, all so that one can appreciate even more what the future (Fallout 4) will be improving on.

7. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Member

I did not really enjoy the original Fall Out. I think I might have enjoyed the original Fall Out better if it was not for having played Fall Out 3 for the first time. Then I went and rented Fall Out and Fall Out 2 and was not too impressed with the story lines and the graphics of the Fall Out and Fall Out 2 after having played the Fall Out 3.

8. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm currently playing this game and while it doesn't have the graphics and features I'm used to from Fallout 3, I would have to say I'm currently enjoying the game so far. It has certainly gave me an appreciation to the series itself and I look forward to playing Fallout 2 once I'm done.

9. atlantasports

atlantasports Well-Known Member

It's a good game. It's not like the sequels or anything, but it's good.

10. atlantasports

It would have probably been better for you if you had played the games in chronological order, to be honest.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I played it briefly but I never gave it too much thought. I didn't get too far but at that time the game was pretty good and I enjoyed playing it, although nowadays it has really dated graphics and features.

12. troutski

Regular

Absolutely true. A lot of people don't have the patience to start with the older games, though. :(

13. atlantasports

I have been through that. I have learned that it's better to play games in order, though.

14. atlantasports

It can be a struggle to get through, admittedly. I understand where you are coming from.

15. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member
    Regular

I must confess that I never played the original beyond a demo on my brother's old computer. I remember being intrigued by the look and feel of it at the time, as I'd only experienced JRPGs up to that point, but wandering around the starting area was the extent of my exposure. I would probably appreciate more now, having had experience above and beyond the likes of Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.

Possessing money with which to buy stuff also helps. Is it on Steam at all?

EDIT: I see it is. Twenty bucks for the game and the expansions? For something that's nearing twenty years old? Ehhhhh... maybe I'll wait for a sale.

16. troutski

Regular

I could sit through an entire playthrough of the original Fallout.

17. troutski

Regular

In fact, I'm planning on playing through all of the games before Fallout 4 releases.

18. troutski

Regular

I've played them all at least once to completion, although I spent about 100 hours in Fallout 3 and New Vegas combined, so that's where my heart lies.

19. West

West Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's honestly difficult to compare them, in my opinion. They're such radically different games.

20. Amazon XD

Amazon XD Member

I was very young when I first saw the original Fallout. My older brother played it quite a bit on our PC. I didn't find it very cool when I was younger, but going back now... wow. That game had a lot of things going on. Some real forward thinking narrative.