Did anyone prefer F:NV over F3?

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas' started by NinjaTael, Jun 5, 2015.

1. NinjaTael

NinjaTael Member

I personally enjoyed Fallout: New Vegas so much more than Fallout 3. This is not to say that I did not adore either game. To this day, Fallout 3's dialogue and events trump most any game I've ever played. I just prefer generally the atmosphere, the gameplay, and the story of F:NV. I think the open-endedness of The Courier is what draws me in so much where I have complete freedom to make my back-story anything I want; Just my thoughts, any others feel the same way?

2. Stoyanow1

Stoyanow1 Member

I don't feel the same as you, as I found Fallout 3 much more enjoyable. I think it's partly because of my love for melancholy. Regardless, Fallout: NV had the better soundtrack of the two.

36 people like this.
  3. Ridwan sameer

Ridwan sameer Member

Honestly, No.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 a lot more than I did New Vegas. I actually made it a point to (almost) 100% Fallout 3 because it was that Interesting. With New Vegas I just rushed through the story and stopped without attempting many side missions.

4. Oblivious

Oblivious Well-Known Member
    Regular

Fallout 3 had the better atmosphere for me. It was more bleak in every way, it made you feel that the people were more helpless and desperate. I found the gameplay better in New Vegas as well. As you mentioned, the dialogue and the events were better in Fallout 3. The factions in New Vegas make you work towards something throughout the whole game, depending on whose side you're on, but they could also prove to be to an annoyance when you wanted to explore and not take sides.

In general, while New Vegas was an improvement on some aspects of Fallout 3, it didn't quite capture or transmit the feeling of being in a nuclear wasteland as successfully as Fallout 3.

Last but not least: New Vegas had invisible walls where it shouldn't. You couldn't take "shortcuts" over the mountains and you were forced to either find the passages the designers wanted you to or you were forced to walk around them. Very annoying game design.

36 people like this.
  5. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

My whole feeling on the matter is that Fallout 3 had the far better setting and atmosphere, while New Vegas was a more solid game mechanics and gamelay-wise. I loved both games, and I had dozens of hours of fun and exploration with both of them. Fallout 3 had some mechanics and gameplay problems that bothered me to no end. The atmosphere made up for it.

New Vegas felt more solid in those regards but lacked in atmosphere.

6. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic Well-Known Member

I did enjoy Fallout New Vegas a lot more than Fallout 3.

7. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member
    Regular

I enjoyed new Vegas more. This might be down to New Vegas being the game that got me into the fallout series though. I absolutely adored the setting of new Vegas. f3 just didn't have the same feel to it, in terms of gameplay anyways. That coupled with some mods made New Vegas my go to game for about a year

8. TwistyBR

TwistyBR Member

I really prefere new vegas too!

Twisty BR

9. Typhon

Typhon Well-Known Member

Both are outstanding games. With the DLCs added on, I still prefer F3.

10. Typhon

Typhon Well-Known Member

Starting a new game of Vegas tonight

11. rzbh

rzbh Active Member

Eh, I far prefer Fallout New Vegas than Fallout 3. It feels more alive, you know? Yeah, the faction demands more thing for you... of course they do, you don't expect to just waltzing around everywhere and get stuff, right?

I also likes how it feels empty. It is post-apocalyptic after all, can't expect huge population. Fallout 3 kinda creep me out with just how many encounter I got from walking around.

36 people like this.
  12. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes! people would come up to you time and time again after wandering about, it was crazy! I really loved how big the world was in New Vegas too. Made it a lot more fun and "explorish" for when you stumbled across a secret or a well hidden area

13. Typhon

Typhon Well-Known Member

Yeah, deathclaws just popping out of nowhere. A whole pack chasing Boone, Ed-e and myself all over the place.

14. rzbh

rzbh Active Member

Really? I'm reasonably sure New Vegas have fixed place for Deathclaws to congregate and spawning. So if you meet one and you run back where you come, you won't get a new pack on top of you, no worries.

15. Viorel2

Viorel2 Member

I've heard a lot of people say that NV was a better game, yet Fallout 3 was much more engaging for me. I played through it fairly quickly and I can't say that I got bored. In NV, after a while I just got tired of the quests.. I don't really know why, they were interesting.

16. Typhon

Typhon Well-Known Member

Yep. This current play through I had a pack show up around Victor's shack and another shack, can't remember the name right now. Wonder if the settings has anything to do with it, playing very hard.

17. theGIJST

theGIJST Well-Known Member
    Regular

Don't get me wrong here, I loved Fallout New Vegas too, but Fallout 3 to this day remains my favorite of the two. It could be because I've played Fallout 3 before I played New Vegas, or it could be something else. I personally like the Fallout 3 story more. In New Vegas you had to take revenge on a guy who shot you, that just didn't really motivate me enough. You can't just give me a character, tell me that I'm supposed to hate him because he shot me, and expect me to hate him. Anyhow, I loved New Vegas as well, but I preferred the story of Fallout 3. This is coming from a guy who has 120 hours on New Vegas on Steam and almost all achievements. The only achievements I don't have are the Lonesome Road (I bought that few days ago), and Gun Runner's Arsenal.

18. llfsa

llfsa Active Member

It's hard to say, for one NV does have the better engine and mechanics, but when it comes to capturing the feel of the wastelands it falls miles short of how FO3 managest to do it. It's really one of a kind.

19. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I played Fallout NV first and then I played 3. I prefer NV than 3. NV has better graphics, mechanics and gampelay. But 3 has the best story of Fallout.

20. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I preferred 3 since I was able to play well after I finished the game (after getting the DLC to do it, of course). That was the major grip I have with NV since they could have let us have free play mode after the story but they chose not to do it for whatever reason. I still like the game, but I'll probably ignore the game after I'm done whereas I'll go back and play 3 long after I'm done with the game.