Quantcast

Day-To-Night Cycle Could Come To Civilization

Discussion in 'Civilization VI' started by Todd Black, May 26, 2016.

1. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, you are right. It would be very interesting. Do you know when will it happen?

2. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member Regular

It would really wonderful. I don't believe the people who dislike this feature. Well, most of the people will actually like it.

3. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

I don't know if this is at all needed and I am wondering how they want to do it, as you often jump a lot from a certain time to another time, it isn't just a game on a day/night basis in my opinion.

4. Vall

Vall Member Regular

It has been confirmed that there is a day/night cycle, complete with your cities lighting changing. It looks really sweet and all the different wonders have their own kind of lighting at least from what was shown (Eiffel Tower, Big Ben). I assume that after each turn it will be a random time of day, but not really sure of that.

Link of the day/night:

5. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member Regular

Thanks for the video, it was really insightful and showed loads of info!

6. PeanutButterMan

PeanutButterMan New Member

Meh, if the only goal of this update is to be aesthetically pleasing.. I don´t know if I´m happy about this. I feel like they could be using this developing money on cooler features that actually affect gameplay.

7. AxelR

AxelR Member Regular

I'm feeling the same way. I don't really see any use for it. Civilization is a turn-based game and I can't imagine how the day-night cycle would affect anything. If they'll create bonuses like having a greater chance to win the battle if you start it at night, then it won't be good to attack during the day time anymore. But maybe they've got some kind of great idea how to make use of it, we will see in October.

8. ladydaydream

ladydaydream Member Regular

I would love a day-to-night cycle! I've always loved those little atmospheric touches that make the game come to life, so seeing different times of day in Civ would be really wonderful. I have to wonder though, since the time that passes in Civiliation games is so fluid and often passes through years at a time, I wonder how they're going to work in the cycle, since logically it wouldn't be night time for a year and then daytime for another. Perhaps it's just flavor for the player, and won't really mean anything in-game.

9. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

A dynamic day/night cycle for Civilization would be a neat idea, in my opinion. If done correctly, it has the potential to make the game more graphically pleasing and immersive.

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

It's about time, it can really change the game. There are so many games out there that already do this, it's a pity that they didn't think of this earlier. This does mean on the other hand that they game will take longer to play.
    Humm I guess a couple more sleepless nights won't be the end of the world.

11. Nelfy

Nelfy Member Regular

The more I think about this concept of day-night cycle the more I am able to see how this could turn out to be a great addition to the game. Or maybe it could be a feature used to represent the current status of your turn: morning - the start of your turn, day - your turn, evening - the end of your turn, night - other player's turn. This would automatically influence the game immersion and add to it more than anything. I don't understand why this should be a mod (made by a fan), rather than just have it implemented from the start by the developers. Maybe they chose for it to be like this due to the fact that they haven't found a concrete functionality to the day-night cycle, which is a pity considering that the fans have quite warmed up to the idea of this new possible addition.

12. iRoxas

iRoxas Member Regular

Oh I would for day-night cycles, since it would make the game a lot more enjoyable for me. I've played a lot of games that have it and then games that don't, and I feel that it adds a lot more to a game even if it is just a time change. It'd be cool if they also added events based on what time it was.

13. Calinpls

Calinpls Member Regular

This seems like a minor change, but I think it'll make a significant difference. When given the choice between style and graphics, I'd definitely go for style, and little touches such as this one make the difference between good art styles and truly memorable ones. It might even have some practical sense, perhaps it could be used to implement a weather system, which would cause storms during night in, let's say, times when the empire isn't happy - or during wars and such. I can only see this as a nice addition, and one that doesn't have a big hit on the performance of the game.

*I just imagined being nuked by Gandhi in the middle of the night and during a storm. That's a sight to behold

14. NormaD

NormaD Active Member Regular

This would be a great feature for the game and it would look super cool. It probably wouldn't change the strategy of the game, but it still would be awesome to see how the day-to-night cycle would affect the other aspects of the game.

15. AgentD22

AgentD22 Member Regular

You guys all seem to love this feature, but I'm gonna go on a bit of a rant here, please don't hate me!

So, they said this is cosmetic and has no effect on gameplay and that's pretty great because if it did then it would be a real issue (which it isn't). But what gets me is that they said they did it for Immersion and for the life of me I can't think how a night lasting years can make the game more immersive...

The correct way for this feature to work would be to add a key that you press to make it nightime and if you press it again then it would be daytime, that way you can play the same in the setting you want and see your cities during nighttime without it being a nonsensical feature that works in an arbitrary way.

16. Mistiq

Mistiq Member Regular

That's a feature I would certainly like to see in this game. I wonder how it would work. Maybe you could press a button to make it nighttime like AgentD22 suggests - that would really be fun...

AgentD22 likes this.
  17. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

Well I have to say that I am all for it. When it comes to new features and tools for the game I say pile them on and it just makes it that much more fun to play, in my opinion. This is really one game that I think does not get cluttered if there are a lot of different actions of features, because it is a game meant to last a awhile. I cannot wait to see what they have in store for us.

18. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

I personally consider it as a good addition and also a plus for strategy improvement and development in the game itself, choosing the right time to attack might be a really good feature, it would also make the game more interesting and therefore funnier for most players, it's going to be a great thing indeed.

19. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

I hope so too. I don't know how much I'd enjoy the feature if it were just aesthetic so I really do think they should try and add weather and night cycles into the mechanics.

20. gamer2x

gamer2x Member Regular

Many of the games have adopted the day and night cycle. It is a great way to make the game more realistic and a great opportunity to make the graphics of game even more visually appealing.

It would be great if they could put more options depending on whether it is day or night, like certain things which you would be able to do only during the day. That would increase the competitiveness of the game and also, make it more challenging.