Quantcast

Day-To-Night Cycle Could Come To Civilization

Discussion in 'Civilization VI' started by Todd Black, May 26, 2016.

1. Todd Black

Todd Black Well-Known Member Regular

2. YaBoyJoey

YaBoyJoey Member Regular

I would love this! It would make the game feel a lot more immersive, and I think it would look graphically really cool. It would be awesome to see how the day-to-night cycle affects other dynamics in the game like trade or war. I just imagine sneak attacks getting a bonus on "sleeping" cities.

3. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

@YaBoyJoey Not going to happen, Busatti clearly states it will work only for aesthetic purposes in the game, and perhaps will be expanded by mods. Which is very fine by me, it's always good for modders to get more tools, but night-and-day cycle wouldn't really work with vanilla Civilization. Turns represent years, after all.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

A lot of games nowadays have dynamic weather and time, so this seems like a normal feature that should be added. I hope they do add a day-to-night cycle.

Vladimir Logos likes this.
  5. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

The only problem is the time-scale of the actual game. It makes no sense for a turn to signify a year, and then have day/night last 5 turns or whatever. Of course the year=turn stuff seemed silly when it took you a year to move a combat unit one tile.

Sad Puppy likes this.
  6. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

Would be really cool to see a real day and night cycle in a Civ game. I wonder how the cycle will affect your Civ in general.

7. jonthai

jonthai Member Regular

That's actually very cool! Putting such feature into this game will surely increase it's sales and it's so worth it! I can't wait to buy this game.I expect allot from it, since I've been playing since the early Civilization's, and I must say, I'm loving the new concepts they are introducing.

8. Sad Puppy

It will be mostly for aesthetic purposes - changing the way buildings and units look, not work. The devs leave it to modders to add strategic value for it.

Vladimir Logos likes this.
  9. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

That sounds pretty cool. I haven't played Civilization since Civ 3, so I'm curious at how far the game has gone in over a decade of progress in gameplay and graphics. Is it still turn based though? If so, day and night wouldn't really be needed, because the turns are yearly, and I highly doubt they would make nights last, since that's not very realistic. Pretty cool concept though.

10. Belovedad

Belovedad Well-Known Member Regular

Would be cool if this was added as there would be a lot more content to come with the addition of the cycles. Hopefully it is implemented but I don't really see the sense of it other than for graphical purposes as it is a turn based game.

11. Sad Puppy

Yeah, it wouldn't be Civilization anymore otherwise :p As I've said, night and day will be relevant only for displaying the looks of your cities, wonders etc. but develoeprs believe there will be mods using this effect for deeper purpose.

12. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Well-Known Member Regular

I think it would be pretty cool, so long as it doesn't make the screen too dark. It would be neat to see them add other features on top of this day night cycle, for example, giving certain units advantages during a specific time of the day!

13. roguefox

roguefox Member Regular

Oh I would love this. Would be awesome to see the lighting of your city change from day to night, especially in modern eras. Civ is tough to make "immersive" because it's really a god game but the little details like this are what make it.

14. Vladimir Logos

Vladimir Logos Member Regular

If I understood Brian Busatti correctly, this is just a cosmetic feature with no impact on game mechanics. Players get an extra feature they can play around with and that's it: no spying bonus at night, no infiltration and assassination units or stuff like that.

CIV III and IV did get a bit tedious after a while and some sort of day-to-night cycle would have done them good. However, CIV V was a lot more complex in comparison and I was entertained for longer periods of time. I reckon CIV VI is going to be a step forward in that direction, too. If so, there is no need for useless cosmetics. I approve of this addition only if it introduces new game mechanics (like assassinations of city mayors, easier technological espionage etc.).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  15. Azrile

I mean it would be easy to have a day/night cycle and have it affect food production, or have it give an advantage or disadvantage to certain troops, or allow things like spying to be more effective.

They could always just go the game of thrones route, where a ´winter´ didn´t necessarily mean 1/4 of a year.

16. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member Regular

This is something I would be very interested in seeing. Perhaps even natural disasters and freak weather to spice things up!

17. Azrile

oh god I hope not, That is one of the things that turned me off about the SimCity games. These games are about strategy and long term planning and adapting those plans as you go. But having Godzilla or a meteor strike just destroy all your work and plans just is annoying. It is funny for the moment, but overall it removes a big part of the gameplay.

18. Sparks

Sparks Member Regular

OH PLEASE NO. If that was to ever be a feature, it should be optional. I can think of few things more infuriating than being on the verge of victory in a war, only to have your army wiped out by a swarm of tornadoes and heavy rain.

On the idea of a day and night cycle, I think this could be really cool. I can already imagine seeing my unit groups having torches and the like lit, illuminating their little tiles. I don't know if a day and night cycle would change the strategy of the game at all, but it would certainly be a neat feature.

19. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

While graphically cool, I sincerely hope it holds no function as far as the gameplay goes. I remember being excited for day/night cycles in Cities: Skylines, but in the end it just bothered me so I turned it off. It definitely made the game look prettier, I'm not denying that, but that a part of that game is to be pretty, while that's not the case for Civilization.

20. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member Regular

I agree with you. It world be really awesome. I am just waiting for it. I hope they would do it pretty soon.