Considering a PC type laptop.

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by Lostvalleyguy, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Well-Known Member

Are there any out there that are good enough to play MMOs on? I don't need the best one, but I would like to play smoothly without having all the settings in the basement. Any suggestions on what i might look for?

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Personally I would stay away from laptops because gaming laptops are for one not cheap and still cannot be upgraded overtime which are not worth the investment also on top of that if something goes out and warranty is up your going to have to have someone else fix it and if its major your going to have to buy a whole new laptop.

3. llllllllllllllllllll

llllllllllllllllllll Well-Known Member

Ditto. As you know, MMO games are always being updated, and some content updates or expansions comes out with improved graphics and greater system requirements which may exceed what you have, and if you have a laptop you are basically screwed or end up buying an entirely new unit unlike with a desktop where you can just simply upgrade a certain component. If a patch requires additional memory or RAM then you can just upgrade your memory module, but you can't do that with a laptop.

4. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I will stick to my desktop for gaming. I suspected that might be the case with upgrading, but I had wondered whether laptops had become sufficiently capable. I will take you advice as a no.

5. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

Laptops are a waste of money for gaming lol.. You will end up spending a ton of money on one upfront and then having to buy another one in 2 years to keep up with games because you cannot upgrade them.

6. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would definitely stick to a desktop, though I did make the "mistake" of buying a laptop through Asus for gaming. I loved the thing and spend a lot of days on it. I could run anything I wanted on it, but I still preferred a desktop at the end of the day.

7. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Asus is alright but really a desktop is best for gaming..

8. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I prefer dektops over laptops in gaming since gaming laptops are quite expensive. I wouldn't pay a 1000$ for a laptop since you can get two desktops at that price with the same power.

9. tony

tony Well-Known Member
    Regular

Except for this high price I'd prefer a gaming laptop to the desktop. If I have enough money for one I am sure going to get a gaming laptop, it's easily portable.

10. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am a little surprised to see the fidelity to the desktop here, but at the same time I really do get a lot more done when I am sitting at my desktop. I am not sure if that is the machine though, which makes me think I can recreate it, but I am not sure.

11. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would agree with the desktop over laptop thing since gaming laptops cost a lot, buying an Alienware or a Predator laptop would be nice if you don't mind purchasing a laptop worth around a thousand dollars or maybe more. I would stick to using a desktop if it's for gaming since I can tweak the hardware anytime I want to.