Companion ammo?

Discussion in 'Fallout 4 Discussion' started by SLTE, Dec 30, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm sure by now most users on this board have realized that you need to give your companions ammo in order for them to use anything other than their default weapon. My question is, do you ever bother to do this? Say, for a companion you really like, and don't want to fall into uselessness? Or do you just stick with whichever companion is strongest at any given time?

2. John1

John1 New Member

It's so frustrating to me to have to give them ammo! Even though, it makes sense, I must admit. I'm just lazy, apparently. I have been in so many shootouts where I have expected , for instance, Paladin Danse to whip out the Laser Gatling and decimate my enemies.... but I always for get to load him up with fusion cells! Ugh! So, as it stands, I don't even give my companions weapons any longer, haha! I just let them use their default weapons as we go about our way through the Commonwealth. However, regardless of my super lazy tendencies, I do manage to outfit my companions with armor, and surprisingly, I actually take time to mod their armor when I have the proper resources. What is my issue with giving them ammo? :) I wonder if they can be commanded to search dead enemies for loot, and if so, would they loot the ammo? I will have to try this.

3. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't know about ordering companions to loot ammo specifically, but I have seen some companions go looking for it independently before. Nick jumps to mind, as I've found things in his inventory I know I haven't put there, usually guns and ammo.

1 person likes this.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nick does that for me too, he always has random stuff in his inventory. In general I don't bother giving them ammo, even if I love them to death. :p

1 person likes this.
  5. tonidatyga

tonidatyga Member

I'm wondering if it's all worth it. Is providing and outfitting with a specific weapon really benefiting us because I'm not sure if I can tell a difference between the kill rate of a default weapon vs a stronger weapon. My companion is a bad shot anyway and wastes a lot of ammo. Now I do find that providing my companion with grenades is very handy.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

6. themusicliveson

I've turned around before to find Nick holding a random minigun that I have no idea where he found! It was super weird but definitely useful in reclaiming The Castle.

I actually do give my companions ammo since their default weapons are always super weak. Especially now that I've started a new character on survival difficultly and ammo has weight. I can shove that onto my companion AND have them do more damage? I'll friggin take it.

7. TheOptical

TheOptical New Member

I don't use companions for firepower. Instead, they are used as mules and for some of the lines they say. Currently, I switch between Codsworth and Dogmeat. Codsworth gives you filtered water every so often which heals a sizable amount of health. Then Dogmeat for help find some rare items. And because I haven't seen many dogs around ;P

8. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

I give my companions energy weapons ammo, and the gun Paladin Danse gives you at the end of the first BoS mission in Fallout 4. It's not like I'm gonna use laser energy weapons anyway (I find them too unrealistic), so it just stacks up my inventory. I give them to my companion, my companion gains a powerful weapon, and I get to have more space in my inventory. Win-win for everyone.

9. tonidatyga

tonidatyga Member

I've been giving McCready my older upgraded weapons. I've collected enough caps and saved alot of ammo just for him to use. But after all that I finally found an unlimited ammo laser rifle that I gave him. I provided him with one fusion cell. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Since I have another 2k plus in 45 caliber ammo he has to use up and all.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

10. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I only use Dogmeat, so ammo isn't a huge concern. If I did take someone that needs ammo with me I would always keep him stocked up though. There's no sense in taking someone who is practically useless with me.

11. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Well-Known Member
    Regular

I didn't even know that I had to give them ammunition, most of the time my companion is the one giving me the ammo. I should probably start giving them some good guns and ammo so they can be a bigger force when taking on mutants.

12. jesssiii

jesssiii New Member

Piper's always throwing grenades and Molotov cocktail's near me! So I use her to send ahead and draw fire so I can shoot from cover.

And boy was I surprised when the game let me romance a woman! Most games I've played don't even offer female leads, let alone allowing same-sex relationships.

Nexus 6P

1 person likes this.
  13. tonidatyga

tonidatyga Member

I know! Romantic partners have a special perk everytime you sleep. My wife and I laugh everytime McCready says "that was amazing" or "I didn't know you could do that".

Sent via carrier pigeon...

1 person likes this.
  14. Nelfy

Nelfy Member
    Regular

So I've kinda known that this would prove to be a challenge at a certain point and thus I decided from the start of the game and until the end of it to carry on my adventure with my faithful four legged companion Dogmeat. Sure he isn't the brightest or the strongest, but I love the idea behind travelling and exploring the world with an animal companion, who is silent... at least most of the time. I don't need a romantic partner perk simply because I already have by my side my trusty partner and friend and at the end of the day that is what really matter and that is what makes the game so great for me.