Quantcast

City-States

Discussion in 'Civilization V' started by Bapsy, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Bapsy

Bapsy Member Regular

One of the things I hate is city-states. Taking them out is a pain in the button. Making friends with them, equally fussy. And when you become friends, they tend to be real demanding. "We need stuff", "Kill these barbarians", "Help! This other nation is attacking us!"

I wanna be like "what am I, your whipping boy? We're friends so I won't try to kill you, not so I'll do stuff for you. Now give me some slaves for my empire."

What about you? How do you deal with the city-states when you come across them? Do you enjoy that element of play, why or why not?

2. AgentD22

AgentD22 Member Regular

Haha, that's really funny that you think that, I on the other hand, like CS a lot.

To me city states are one of the better ideas of the Civ Games, because they make the maps feel more alive and less empty, also it gives you something kill/trade with when you don't want to deal with big civs because of the diplomatic implications that it would have on your game.

It's also one the staples of the CIV games, you don't see CS on other games so I have a soft spot for them.

3. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

Well, seems like you're an egoist person, just kidding though.
    I agree with you at that point, they're really annoying and they also ask for too many things, it's crazy the way they really consider us as their security and supplying company or something like that, I really believe you can take an advantage out of that, how? I do not really know, but there must be a way, that's my opinion though.

4. Bapsy

Bapsy Member Regular

Haha! No offense taken. I tend to be a... not so benevolent dictator when it comes to my cities and any unfortunate city or civilization that happens to have the misfortune of landing on my map. My way or fiery doom. If they're lucky I chose islands as my map and I'm so bad at making a navy that they'll be protected from me for a while. Otherwise if I find them on a single continent then Hulk Smash. It's just so much fun to be diabolical in Civ V. But yes exactly, for all of their difficulty to kill, they seem to lean heavily on you as a body guard and the local corner store once you're friends.

That is a very valid point! I suppose when I'm feeling mellow that the city states aren't so bad. Haha. I'd probably miss their nagging and the game would be too quiet and the world would feel empty.

5. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

Oh yes, I also hate is city-states. Can't deal with it

6. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

I've tried to play aggressively several times and it has actually given me good results, my win rate has increased since I started playing that way, however, it gets kinda stressful sometimes because playing so aggressively gets your brain tired and well, you know what happens then, it's all about holding yourself I guess :p

7. taco

taco Member Regular

I never invade city states, it only makes other civs consider you a warmonger and make trading for resources a pain. The way I play is heavy economics, where by the 1AD I am making around 200 gold per turn. Usually by the industrial era and modern era I will be up to anywhere between 600-1000 gold per turn. Now I obviously use this to buy off city states. But before you buy them off, always try to do the little quests they ask. Most are simple, like connect a trade route, or spread a religion. These give you nice free points.

Once I have a lot of money, I will wait till a City State wants to build a public project and they make your contributions worth 2x. When this happens, pay them off nicely, and get atleast 50 more influence than their current ally.

I try to be allied with at least 50% of the City States in order to keep power in United Nations.

Also city states that you are not allied with, feel free to extort money from them all the time.

Oh also another great way to get credit with city states is to go Barbarian Hunting. I will always clear out barbarian dens when they ask, it is usually quick and simple, and its easy experience points for your units. Also if you capture a worker that belongs to another civilization then take it, if it belongs to a city state give it back for mad influence.

8. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

Sometimes I catch myself paying a lot more attention to them and their development than I normally would, or should for that matter. It is just one of those random things that I usually catch pretty early though.