Can't perform takedown in 2033 Redux on XB1

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by Staize, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Staize

Staize New Member

Hey guys as the title says I can not perform take downs in the XB1 version of 2033 Redux which is keeping me from getting the Rescue Ranger/Invisible Man achievement on the Front line mission because you can't get the latter with out doing the former which I can't do because the only way I can get the former is by killing the guard because the game won't let me knock the guard out, or any human enemy for that matter, via the take down system due to this bug or what have you. I know that the L.L. take down system was implemented in 2033 Redux, but I have no idea why I can't utilize it. If it helps I am playing on the survival normal difficulty because the last time I played this game was the original version on steam and I wanted to get reacquainted with the game before I gave ranger hardcore a shot.

Anyways if anyone knows what is causing this issue and how to fix it than please let me know. I already tried reinstalling the game on my console.

2. Skaara Dreadlocks

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for your question! :)

Okay, so, I've never played any of the Metro games on any console, only on PC. But I recently bought an Xbox360 controller to use for Rocket League, so I thought, why not help out and see if I can find out which button does the knock-out act? I started the Pavel chapter in Last Light Redux, and I got a hint on the screen, telling me to kill by pressing down the right joystick (default melee-attack button), or to knock out with the X button (default USE key). It worked, so I tried it out in 2033 Redux, and it worked there as well. Kind of annoying that this feature isn't mentioned in the controls-options.

Xbox one isn't the same as PC of course, but I assume the controls are as similar as possible, and so are the 360 and ONE controllers as well, so I'd try using the USE-key if I were you. One thing I noticed, was when two enemies were standing together so they could see each other but not me, I was unable to knock-out any of them. All I could do was to do a melee stab in the air at one guy (Melee attack without getting the animation), and then I could knock out the second guy, with an animation. I think there's a safety-feature, or failsafe or whatever, that prevents you from going into an animation when there's a possibility you can get shot.

Also, I googled the problem, and it turns out a lot of people in steam have been unable to use the stealth kill animation after the Bandits level in LL Redux. That's LL, though, but there might be a problem like that in 2033Redux too, if it doesn't work using the USE key to knock out.

#2 Skaara Dreadlocks, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2016
  3. Staize

Staize New Member

Hi thanks for the welcome and the response. I suppose I forgot to mention that yes I have tried using the USE-key(which is in fact X) as well and any other key that isn't shoot, melee, and use secondary i.e. throwing knives. I have played the original game before on steam and I purchased the Redux bundle on my XB1 because it was on sale last month.

I didn't run into any LL glitches and from what I've both read and experienced 2033 and LL Redux use the say controls, stealth system, and all around run on the same engine.

the only thing I can think of is that I skipped a piece of dialog or a key instance that allows me to perform my first take down. I remember in the original 2033 there was an instance in the level that Bourbon dies and Khan is helping you from the shadows where you picked up a throwing knife and Artyom waves it around in the air and then the game told you about stealth kills, but I didn't encounter that in Redux and I just wrote it off because the game is now using the LL stealth system.

I might try to restart the game and see if that fixes the issue, but as of this moment none of the forums I've read into seem to have any idea why takes downs aren't working.

4. Skaara Dreadlocks

Well, then I'm sorry to say that I fall short in my attempt to help you, I've got no way to test it out on any Xbox One :/

But perhaps someone else on the forum can help you out. I think most of us are PC gamers, but you never know Maybe Komo can help you? (Our all-knowing guy). :D

5. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

I don't know of any specific fixes for your issue, but historically speaking, many scripting issues with previous Metro games have been most easily fixed by restarting the level, and if necessary, the game playthrough.

Since you're on console, I can't imagine any odd hardware configurations messing with your experience, short of maybe a third party controller or something. Might seem dumb or obvious, but I'd make sure that the button used (I believe it's X) is actually working on the controller in full capacity.

After restarting the level, and subsequently the game if that doesn't work, we can look into other options to make sure that everything is running and installed properly.