Can mobile gaming kill the consoles?

Discussion in 'Mobile Gaming' started by elmarianexx, Jul 29, 2015.

1. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Well-Known Member

Five years ago if you’d told anybody mobile phones and tablets stood even the chance of challenging dedicated home gaming consoles, you’d have been laughed out of the living room. After all, the state of the art of mobile back then included the Apple iPhone 3G, BlackBerry Storm, Palm Treo Pro, and HTC G1. Comparing them to the powerhouses that were the Sony PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360 - as well as the not-powerful-but-still-enormously-fun Nintendo Wii - would have been ludicrous.

Fast forward to today and the landscape’s changed. A whole industry has grown up around mobile gaming, drawing the attention of incredible indies and enormous gaming studios alike. iPhone and Android have marginalized dedicated portable gaming devices like the Sony PSP and Nintendo DS, thanks in no small part to their less expensive, more easily available content, better screens and processors, ubiquitous connectivity, and the simple convenience that comes from convergence. Yet the consoles have endured.

2. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Well-Known Member

So the question is, can mobile devices make the next generation of consoles - the PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U - the last? Is the very idea as ludicrous today as it was five years ago, or can an argument be made that now, or in the near future, our phones and tablets could killed the big gaming consoles?
    Source: http://crackberry.com/talk-mobile/can-mobile-gaming-kill-consoles
    What are you're thoughts on this subject? Do you think that mobile games can replace console gaming?

3. js85

js85 Member

I definitely don't think it's going to kill the consoles. I think they're two entirely different worlds. I just made the comparison earlier that it's like eating a hamburger or a steak. Both have a time and place for each, and both are enjoyable in their own right, but neither will overtake the other or make it go belly-up.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

It really depends on how mobile gaming is going to improve in the upcoming future but I don't think they're going to overcome consoles anytime soon, if ever.

5. ProNine

ProNine Well-Known Member
    Regular

Mobile gaming will never overcome consoles. They may come onto an equal level with consoles, however, they would never beat consoles. They will merely be classified as a different sort of gaming.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think you meant PC instead of consoles in your first sentence, but I agree with you. PCs are on a whole another level already.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

The short answer is no. At least not for me. There is still something to sitting down and being immersed in the whole thing that appeals to me. Maybe it is just something that I am used to, but the mobile device can never do that for me. I am intrigued to see it get better and better though.

8. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

Mobile games have very short game duration, as they are meant to be time wasters while you are waiting for someone, or waiting on a drive home. They were never meant to be a great game genre that would compete in length with games like GTA or Kingdom Hearts. Console and mobile cater to very different types of gamers, and I think mobile gaming is more for the casual audience, as you can just pick it up and play without any background to the lore or anything. Console gaming has lots of sequels, and you need a sufficient knowledge in the story to truly appreciate it.

9. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I highly doubt it. The controls on a console are a bit bigger and easier to manage than that of mobile games. They are good but they can not match up to consoles, at least not for now.

10. Athanas

Athanas Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think one day the consoles will become obsolete due to many mobile devices coming on the market .

11. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the way at which the games are going , I do think that mobile gaming is surely going to be more popular in near times.

12. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

Mobile gaming cannot kill consoles. I say that because there are many people still playing consoles. Mobile games are overrated because I personally get tired of playing them.