Quantcast

Can Breath of Fire be brought back to the status it once had?

Discussion in 'Breath of Fire' started by 4justice, Jan 10, 2014.

1. 4justice

4justice Well-Known Member

Don't get the wrong idea here, Breath of Fire was never the defacto RPG series. However, it did have a strong following. The series was originally Squaresoft's before it was sold to Capcom where it has stayed ever since from Breath of Fire 2 onward. But over the years, Capcom has let the series falter. And now the latest in the series is made for mobiles, 3DS and Vita excluded.

To me, this shows just how far Capcom let the series fall if they won't even make a 3DS or Vita version.

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

The problem is Capcom can't manage all their games so it feels like the series is going down hill fast which is sad because Capcom does make some good stuff.

3. 4justice

Capcom makes good things two things happen.

1- They aren't trying to nickle and dime the hell out of people with DLC.

2- They stick to who they are and stop trying to "westernize" everything.

IfIf we had the Capcom of the 90's, we'd have had at least 2 Breath of Fire games in the PS3/360 era by now

4. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Doubtful that they will. At this rate Breath of Fire is as dead as poor megaman. Especially considering the next Breath of Fire is a god damned Web Browser game for godsakes. It's really sad to see such awesome franchises brought down to this level of crap.

5. 4justice

Geez...you brought up Megaman, another franchise Capcom saw fit to take a crap on. I don't understand how they'll survive in the future. They pretty much banished their older beloved franchises and some of their newer franchises have sequels that have probably killed franchises (DMC and Resident Evil 6).

No wonder they're near bankrupt.

6. jbeavis100

Yeah, they are slowly dying out. They keep trying to reimagine or reinvent franchises and failing at it.
    It's really sad. They were so amazing pre-2010. The New Bionic Commando was great and so was Lost Planet1 but then RE5 happened and everything since that has been pretty crap. I hope they have enough sense to go back to the drawing board but it's extremely doubtful.

7. 4justice

I don't really blame them for Resident Evil 5 as much as I blame the fans for Resident Evil 5.

You see, RE5 happened because of Resident Evil 4's success. Resident Evil 4 was the series first attempt to be more action based. And both the media and critics ate it up. Fans raved about it as well. So as a result, Resident Evil 5 became more action based because of the Resident Evil 4 reception.

8. jbeavis100

I suppose so but that doesn't explain RE6 though. RE: Revelations was OK but it still didn't capture that feeling of horror and conspiracy that the earlier games did.

9. 4justice

Actually, it does explain Resident Evil 6 as well. Because just like Resident evil 4 and 5, 6 too is very action based. Even with the complaints people had with RE5, the sales validated the creation of RE6. The good news is that if there is a 7, it probably WON'T be action based. Revelations I can't speak for because I never actually played that one.

10. jbeavis100

I liked Revelations but it could be too actioney at times and there is a part where hunters are storming this one building that I thought was way too actioney but otherwise I liked it quite a bit.

11. 4justice

You know, I was just thinking. Maybe Tales getting such attention from the PS3/360 era will make Capcom take a hard look at their rpg portfolio again. With any luck, that will push Capcom to take Breath of Fire seriously like they used to and not have it be this mobile and web browser game they've reduced it to.

12. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

It could be brought back if Capcom stopped sucking...

It saddens me that Capcom screws things so hard, especially since Capcom is my only hope for Dragon's Dogma 2...

I do think Capcom is a FANTASTIC developer, but a terrible publisher... and the publisher side of things is the one that takes control...

13. Nickmandelson

Nickmandelson Member

Capcom used to be great, but if they continue doing what they're doing with the Breath of Fire, Megaman, Resident Evil, and Lost Planet series, then I don't really see a future for them. Who knows, maybe they'll go out of business, and a developer who actually cares might buy the Breath of Fire IP to make that series good again.

14. Narukami

That's the thing, Capcom is a mixed bag. Sometimes they're awful, like with this BoF mobile game, but other times they release hits like Dragon's Dogma, Monster Hunter and possibly the upcoming Strider. It's such a love/hate relationship for me...

15. Yoyoenix91

Yoyoenix91 Member

Having only played Breath of Fire IV as a child, I can't really speak much on the series... but sadly, I don't think it could easily make a comeback. At least not to main consoles. Capcom might have better chances pairing up with Nintendo and putting their future installments on the Nintendo 3DS. Nintendo managed to make a good profit with Square Enix's Dragon Quest IX, and they're currently publishing Bravely Default as well. Nintendo knows how to make these titles sell, and Capcom needs to take notes.

16. sidd230

sidd230 Well-Known Member

Unless it gets a modern reboot, its revival seems highly unlikely.

17. Zwong777

Zwong777 Member

Highly skeptical that the once beloved Breath of Fire series would be restored back to its former glory, current Capcom doesn't care about what the fans want, they only care about westernizing their games and agonizing their fans in the process.

I am a huge of BOF and Devil May Cry and look what they did to DMC.

18. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member Regular

First of all Breath of Fire needs to be less about making money and more about artistic quality and merit. The formula is already there. The story lore and history are already in place as well. They need to bring the art direction back to 2D sprites.

19. Narukami

Well, that's the one thing the gaming industry is about, making money. The Japanese seem to do this through crappy spin-offs and mobile games while the west does it through crappy DLC and stuff.

Capcom are definitely doing a lot of crap just to make ends meet, like the awful mobile spin-offs they keep releasing... quite sad, Capcom develops great games but as a publisher they're terrible and the publisher side is the one that dictates what gets developed.

20. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member Regular

I thoroughly agree with you. It's like they're disenfranchising their fans by doing so and not gaining many new fans. Capcom has a lot of IP's. I hope that in the future they decide to go back to their roots and go back to the art of the game.