Quantcast

Blitzkrieg or Turtling?

Discussion in 'Civilization V' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 17, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

When you start a game, do you spread out your offensive forces as early as possible, hoping to catch an enemy city unmanned and hope others do the same, or do you just hold your ground, steady your defenses, and just research your way to the modern age? For me, the research approach is pretty boring, because you wouldn't even see the map unless you either make deals or you scout areas, and the fun in Civilization is more of warfare than diplomacy for me. What about you?

2. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

Personally, I prefer the turtling version when playing and have always liked that approach more than the fighting style (also in other strategy based games).

However, if my spawning position is bad and I spawn pretty centered or far away from my team, then I might have to build some defenses or go on the offense early.

3. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member Regular

I like Blitzing a lot more, since it's much more fun than just clicking a few buttons and staring at your city for the first few turns.

4. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

It depends if I am playing against humans or the AI. For AI, I usually spread as quickly as possible and then turtle for awhile unless i see a neighbor who is underdeveloped. For players, I blitzkreig because a lot of people like to turtle and focus on research, so you can just knock them out early and have more room.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I tend to blitz more when playing against the AI because they can make mistakes easily, in general when I play with other players I turtle and focus on research and evolving.

6. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

Meh, it's practically impossible to capture a city with only warrior units, or at least I've neevr experienced soemthing like this in Civilization 5 (I think that would be what people call rushing, anyway, blitzkrieg makes me think of attacking with Armor/Panzer in modern era). I don't do turtling either, however, when I see an AI civilization that is lagging behind in technology I usually can't resist the urge to attack. I don't believe in purely peaceful victories ;)

SirJoe likes this.
  7. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

I guess that's true, but I think that it's more meant in the sense of rushing the opponents as soon as possible with useful units. An example for that is to go for fast catapults and terracotta army, which definitely helps a lot to overwhelm your opponents early on.

8. Vall

Vall Member Regular

In most of my civ games i've turtled quite a bit until really late-game. I have tried a couple times to expand with a military early, but I usually get destroyed when trying to take cities. I haven't played aggressively against other players yet, just AI. I'll definitely have to give it a try though, because it definitely wasn't fun being on the receiving end of early catapults :)

9. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I like to blitz a lot. The Civilizations that I play as work well with early aggression, and it's very easy to catch people off guard with assaults in the early game. I'm not much for turtling all that much as I find it a boring playstyle.

10. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

I like the more aggressive approach because it's much more exciting. Though most of the time I like to think that I am able to do a healthy balance of the two and I think that's my favorite play style because it really requires a lot of focus and I feel it is the best way the game is played.

11. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

That is what I do, I don't just sit back and wait to evolve but I also don't run around on a rampage declaring war at every thing moves and doesn't move .

12. Bapsy

Bapsy Member Regular

Truly, it depends on my mood. Sometimes I want to crush things and so I'll choose Blitz. Occasionally I'm more in the mood to just build things, so I'll brush off other nations and simply spend time seeing how far I can take my civilization and how fast. Most of the time I crush other countries, but it's just so much fun conquering them. Or you know, inducting them generously into the empire through the violent deconstruction of their current leadership and setting fire to their major cities.

13. jasonr299x

jasonr299x Active Member Regular

Honestly, I think Blitzkrieg is a much more fun way to play the game than turtling is. Not only are games faster, but you'll most likely get more enjoyment from trying to outsmart your opponents and take what's theirs.

However, I think this question will vary a lot from person to person. Personally, I'm more inclined to a Gandhi-type of playstyle (mostly just nuking everyone as soon as I can), but a lot of my friends prefer playing slowly and tactically. I've tried playing that way, and I honestly don't understand how some people do it. Whenever I play video games, I want everything moving as quickly as possible. I try to save my calm and long periods of reflection for sleep and reading books :p.

Furthermore, if you're constantly applying pressure to your opponents, you're playing a much more proactive style of gameplay, rather than being reactive. This forces your opponents to react to what you're doing, rather than vice versa. I think this is the biggest key point of playing offensively, since you don't give your opponents much time to consider what they're doing. I mean heck, when there's an army charging you, your decisions are either to fight or run. Not being able to choose what to do can really hinder certain players that rely on organized games.

14. SirJoe

I think that is the deciding factor. If you are agitated the last thing you want to do is play a slow game, but if you just want to sit back and relax, playing slow is the best.

15. JoshSmith100

JoshSmith100 Active Member Regular

I generally tend to play the turtling method. I am a more defensive player in pretty much any game I play and find it more enjoyable. I like counter attacking or using a method where I dont need to be aggressive militarily.

16. Bapsy

Bapsy Member Regular

Do you spend a lot of time an effort creating alliances with other countries or city states? If so, what's your typical method for handling negotiations or demands from them? Or do you just blow them off?

Exactly. Slow can be very frustrating if you just wanna destroy stuff. Making peaceful negotiations can also be highly irritating because the other nations seem so "stingy", ha. They're rough to trade with or the city states can be a massive pain in the number of demands they have of you.

17. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

Turtling of course

18. SirJoe

There is no better place to to take out your frustrations. Those poor cities. :)

19. TangPau

TangPau Member

Personally I play a combination of the two. Early game I almost always scout around the area, hoping to find barbarians (for XP), ruins (for loot) and a nearby enemy city. You can really mess with an opponent if you can get to his city early on you can easily wreck any luxury tiles or farm tiles that they have set up. The fastest way to win a battle and ruin an enemy is to cut off his supply lines.

20. SirJoe

I normally try to cut of their supplies as soon as possible and at the same time build myself up. They start to drain themselves out quit quickly.