Quantcast

Best Persona title?

Discussion in 'Persona 5 Royal' started by Biffy, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Biffy

Biffy Active Member

I'm a huge fan of the Shin Megami Tensei series and I've always wanted to play the games. Which one is the best of the series. I'm going to pick up 4 sometime soon and was wondering if the other games in the series are worthy of getting? Thanks to you all in advance. :D :D :) :D :D

2. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

You should get every single game in the series, seriously. They're that good of games. I'm a fan of the show as well and that's why I adore the games so much. Please get every one of them if you can, even the original PS1 game. :D It's worth it.

3. sushiking89

sushiking89 Active Member

I am same as you, a huge fan of Shin Megami Tensei series. I love Persona 4 the most as it has a great storyline and the battle scenes are more different than Persona 3.

4. The best Persona was Persona 3 that was the best RPG ever made.

5. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

I dunno. I've only played Persona 4 on the PS 2. I think it was a great game with a great atmosphere. The dungeons got repetitive however the story which had a bit of mystery made up for it. I also played Persona 4 Arena in the PS 3 but it's a fighting game and I can't really compare the two. Lol.

6. casiolol

casiolol Well-Known Member

I love the Shin Megami Tensei series also. I think Persona 3 and Persona 4 are the best of the bunch. One of my friends plays the entire series obsessively. They are sort of like reading fantasy books but interacting at the same time. I like the little subcultue that has developed around the series on the Internet. I think the graphics in Persona 4 set it apart from the others, so I'll have to go with that one as my favorite at the moment.

7. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Persona 4 is my favorite, but Persona 3 is definitely up there. P4 has better characters, but P3 has a better story. P4 also has better gameplay, but P3P at least has some imporvements from P4 but P4G is better than P3P.

My only problem with P3, really, is that some characters suck. Like Ken. That dumb kid, I hate him soooo much... then there's those social links, some of them suck a lot like that stupid weeaboo Bebe. P4 has no character that I really hate and it has more content and better gameplay while still having a good story.

I still haven't played P1 and P2 (neither Eternal Punishment or Innocent Sin). I've tried P1 but the combat is awful and encounter rate is absurdly high so it feels like a chore and the story isn't that interesting. Persona 2, though, apparently has a much better story but the combat still sucks. People that played P2 seem to consider it the best of the series, story-wise.

8. jbepp

jbepp Well-Known Member

I've played 3, 4 and a bit of 2. My favorite is 3.
    I like the MC better and the OST is also a bit better.P4 has better girl though.

9. Rice

Rice Active Member

I prefer Persona 4 out of the series, although I've only played Persona 3 and Persona 4. The plot may have agreeably been not as great as the third series, it was still great though and the characters definitely had something more to them than in Persona 3.

Though in both games, I didn't find the social links all too great, honestly. It felt somewhat like a waste of time. And Ken wasn't that horrible. Is there any reason particularly why you didn't like him? I found him alright. He is fairly mature for his age and if you consider that he lost his mother at such a young age, it makes sense for the way he acts, really.

10. Narukami

Liking the social links depends entirely on how much you care about the characters... or about having stronger party members (in Persona 4, specially Persona 4 Golden). There's some suckers there, though, like that weeaboo Bebe from P3...

Now for spoilers...

This is obviously spoilers now, so for those that haven't played Persona 3 already... avert your eyes and skip this post!

Anyway, he wanted to kill Shinji to avenge his mother. He really seemed to want Shinji dead, like really really dead. Sort of understandable, but it's all because he didn't understand his mother's death was an accident. However, because of him meeting Shinji there, Shinji ends up dead thanks to someone else anyway. Then Ken spends a while mourning Shinji and being sad and dumb over the goddamn mess he caused. "Shinji, I'm sorry I got you killed even though I really wanted to kill you!". Something about him going from "Man I want that jerkass dead!" to "I'm sorry I got him killed" really doesn't jive with me, especially because I really liked Shinji but I already didn't like Ken before this mess.

Other than that, his voice sucks (not something I hold against his character, truth be told, but it sucks... Fuuka's too) and he tries too damn hard to act like a grown-up.

11. jptrey06

jptrey06 Member

It's Persona 4 for me. I played both version and I think Golden is Gold indeed. All the social links for the party members are interesting and the supporting characters' Social Links are pretty good too. P3 was good but not as good P4 IMO, it was a pretty slow start but all the stuff picked up after clocking in 4 hours or so.

The soundtrack of P4 is still one of the best IMO.

12. Narukami

I agree, though I felt that P4 started out slower than P3. In P4 you spend like 3-4 hours just settling into town and such while as in P3 it doesn't take long for you to face the shadows. Still, both do start out rather slow, though I found the stories interesting enough that this wasn't an issue, heh.

P3, though, had some pacing issues later on. There are some very very boring months later in the game. I remember december being extremely boring, for example. P4 has much better pacing, especially in Golden

13. jptrey06

jptrey06 Member

Yosuke and Chie was funny enough to keep me interested at the start so no issue of slow start for me, lol. I totally agree on the better pacing for P4G, the addition of Marie also helped big time because it adds another dungeon and the social link is pretty cool too.

14. Narukami

Yosuke and Chie were great, yes!

You know, thinking about it, it's amazing how different the games are in mood and setting even from the very beginning. In P3 you start with a weird green night, coffins and blood. In P4 you start by metting your family, a weird dream and seeing Yosuke getting screwed over by everything.

15. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

The best persona I ever played is Persona 3. I love the game and the characters were really funny. I also love Persona 4 but 3 is the best for me.

16. fatguy39

fatguy39 Active Member

I prefer Persona 3. I played and finished Persona 3, 4, and 2: Innocent Sin. I prefer the wacky characters of Persona 4; they're much more lovable than the ones in Innocent Sin and 3, not to mention I find Koromaru to be a bit unnecessary, but the gravity of the story of 3 is the best for me. I'm not saying that Innocent Sin and 4's stories are bad, of course; they are very good too, but there's something in 3's story that's compelling.

17. ProNine

ProNine Well-Known Member Regular

I love Persona 3 the most. Having only played this title makes my opinion quite biased, however, I like the fact that you have Junpei in it. That guy really is fun.

18. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

Persona 4 Golden was my favorite, personally. I loved the characters, the gameplay mechanics, the environment, the story, literally everything. The game is so lovable and even my mum loved it, haha. She's not a gamer but she enjoyed it nonetheless because of the story. Persona 3 is a lot deeper, though. Like, storywise, everything goes a lot deeper and harder in terms of both how intense the story gets and how intense the gameplay itself is. I haven't played the original P4 but if you're going to start out in the game I'd say go with Golden instead of the original, at least, because everything is more developed in P4G from what I've heard.

19. Narukami

Yeah, with Persona 4, Golden is pretty much the definitive version of the game. Some things, like Marie, feel kinda... shoehorned in if you played Persona 4 first, but all the new story additions in Golden are pretty much canon now. It also just plays a lot better, looks better, etc. It's superior.

It's Persona 3 that's tricky, because both FES and Portable have their unique changes that the other version doesn't. FES has animated cutscenes and the epilogue, Portable allows you to control party members and plays better, for example.

niightwind likes this.
  20. ProNine

ProNine Well-Known Member Regular

I may be a bit biased with saying this, however, I will just go ahead. I got into the Persona franchise by playing P3P. It's an awesome game with a great story, somewhat darker in comparison to P4. It had a lot of memorable characters and I can not recommend it enough.