Best new F2P: Tera vs. Rift?

Discussion in 'Tera' started by RPG and FPS Gamer, Jun 6, 2013.

1. RPG and FPS Gamer

Now that Rift is going to F2P which one is better to play?

2. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

Personally, the controls of Rift felt...off.

3. chesterkill1

chesterkill1 Member

Older thread but Rift is super similar to WoW where Tera is a pretty unique game due to the combat system it has.

If you want to be more immersed and interactive with your combat, Tera is the way to go for sure.

4. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

That it is! :D

I've been a member of Tera for about 2 or 3 years and I like the fast pace feeling of a game. I've been like this even when my friends raved about WoW. I tried WoW once on her computer, it was medicore to me. I wasn't really into the attack system and the way it's been going down hill, I'm glad I wasn't into it.

(Note: When I say it's been going downhill, this is talks with friends that's been on the game for years and quit after it became dumbed down, according to them.)

5. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Active Member

I have to side with Tera on this one. Anything that starts to look WoW - I turn the other way (no offense to Rift fans >_<).

6. Skilliard

Skilliard New Member

I'd definitely say Tera. Rift is a bit pay2win, because they sell gear in the cash shop. Tera also has far more fun combat, which you have to actively aim/dodge/block attacks. Overall, I recommend Tera. Only reason I would recommend Rift is if your computer can't handle Tera, or if you hate action combat.

Shimus likes this.
  7. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Active Member

Say what? I understand the words, but they do not belong together. Who could possibly hate action combat?! ;)

8. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

This entirely. I loved Rift at one point but they went PAY TO WIN awhile back being a free game. I don't expect TERA doesn't suffer from the same (they have to, to keep floating) but I noticed it's ALOT LESS of a Pay to win, and more aesthetics. I had to play Rift though, as my piece of crap computer lags in TERA freeflowing gameplay. But I love freeflow play, like Guild Wars 2 combat, like Tera, etc.

9. breadandstuff

breadandstuff New Member

I think Rift is a very polished game. This mostly stems from the fact that it is a clone of games like World of Warcraft. I played for quite a while and enjoyed my time with it before it went free to play.

Tera, on the other hand, has always held my interest more. The involved combat system and art style are much more to my tastes. I stopped a while back but I am literally downloading the game again right now and I can not wait to get back into it.

Anyone have any information on what some of the significant changes were in the past year or so? Can I expect it to be pretty similar or am I in for a surprise?

10. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I think Tera is better, much much better than Rift, due to the system and mechanics of the game. Tera differs a bit in terms of mechanics and the games system and it goes out the ordinary, while Rift is just like any other MMORPG and it doesn't give you a unique new thing about it. I would say Tera is most definitely an option for those who want to try a different combat system and gaming/questing system.

11. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think both games are really great. Rift offers something along the lines of WoW, but much more polished, while Tera is all about the action, just like GW 2. I could not really decide which one is better, and I also play them both. :D

12. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

After playing them both consistently, I feel like Rift definitely is the better game - changing my opinion - even with the pay to win, it's just better. It feels like a lesser known WoW, the instancing is done almost identical - the big changes for me? The not-cartoony graphics, but standard MMO Fare.

Whereas Tera is more active combat, that's really all it is. It's repetitive quest lines, and very VERY linear zones. At least Rift has more "Freedom" and lets you explore. And you can effortlessly drop in and out of RIFTING, which is very fun. Hate questing? Hate filling out an "Retrieve X" and "Return X to XXX" quest chain? DON'T. Just RIFT - the EXP is insane, and if you place silver or higher you get full rewards.

13. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have to agree with you. Doing Rifts is really fun, and is a unique touch to the game as a whole. Also, the fact that a ton of people come rushing in, whenever a new Rift opens, is also very cool, since you don`t have to look for groups to tackle them.

14. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

I'll take rift over Tera if I had to choose. I don't care for the combat or the graphics in Tera.

15. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

I don't like TERA neither Rift so it's a quite hard choice but I feel like that Rift offers something more than TERA. I mean TERA for me has just a cool combat system and that's pretty much all about the good things of it.

16. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

If we could have Tera's combat openly flowing inside Rift's gameplay, then it's a matchmade in heaven lol.