Quantcast

Best Minigames in RPGs

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, May 14, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

RPGs normally throw out some sort of minigame here and there in order to divert the players from the main task. These minigames help prevent a game from feeling repetitive. Which minigames in RPGs do you consider to be the best? Here's my list:
    • Card minigame in FFVIII and IX
    • Insectron in Rogue Galaxy
    • Blitzball in FFX
    • Chocobo Racing FFVII
    • Cooking Contest Suikoden 2

2. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member Regular

I loved the hunting mini game in Breath of Fire IV, as well as the sheep trapping one. I loved the "Feed the dragons" game in Chrono Cross. The berry blending game in Pokémon is cool too.

3. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

I loved the strip mining in Mass Effect 2. Most surprisingly fun feature I think that I've ever found in a game.

4. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member Regular

I personally liked the fishing in Dark Chronicle but than again a lot of RPG's include fishing. Other than that I cant think of to many fun mini-games in an RPG. Probably the Pokeathlon in Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

5. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

Triple Triad, from FFVIII. I became obsessed with it for several weeks during my second playthrough of the game. Didn't much like or appreciate it the first time through, but Triple Triad is one of the best things to come out of FFVIII. (And it's much better than the equivalent card game from FFIX.)

The first minigames that jumped to mind when I saw this topic were the ones from Breath of Fire III. I don't know why, either, because they're probably some of the worst RPG minigames I've ever played. Drawing the freaking vinegar out of the well? UGH

6. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

I am always a sucker for the fishing games...no pun intended. It is probably because I like fishing in real life, and certainly wish I could do it more, so when I see an opportunity I pounce on it, whether or not it happens in the game is just a fact of life. I can spend quite a bit of time there especially if the fish are biting.

7. SLTE

Yeah, the fishing wasn't too bad. I think they put lots of thought into it in the later games since it more or less became a series staple for the first four games. A bit annoying if you couldn't get the fish to do what you wanted, but manageable. Definitely better than rope pulling, or log cutting, or boating through rough seas, or crossing an endless desert...

8. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

The best mini-game ever is the lock-picking in Skyrim. It actually taught me how to pick locks in real life...

Just kidding (actually it did quite the opposite, where the other day I was at my buddy's house and he locked himself out of a bedroom. We spent 45 minutes trying to pick the stupid lock until he decided to just bust through the window's screen and have his wife go through).

9. galactica

galactica Member Regular

TRIPLE TRIAD! Best part of FFVIII.

Blitzball from FFX was actually underrated as well. I felt there was a lot of depth to it.

10. Player7

Player7 Active Member Regular

You guys have already mentioned some of the coolest mini games. I would like to the list those mini games that were available in the Megaman Legends series including the Misadventures of Tron Bonne. Maybe Zelda Ocarina of Time had some good mini games too, but I feel it's being a long time to actually recall exactly on what they were about. As someone mentioned above, Breath of Fire IV also had a cool mini game and it was to build a village for the forest fairies. Regarding Blitzball I still remember re-playing it countless times, especially the first match, so I could get this special item for Wakka. Oh well, those were some good memories.

11. SLTE

Yeah, I have to give kudos to Blitzball as well. I loathed it the first time playing it, because it's quite difficult to win the compulsory match, but once you can choose your team and fight more balanced opponents it's really rather fun. A standalone Blitzball game would've been great. (Though the system in FFX was robust enough that a standalone game probably wasn't needed anyway.)