Quantcast

Best in the series

Discussion in 'Civilization V' started by Chris_A, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

Do you think Civ V is the best Civ game in the series? Do you like the changes that they have made to the game from previous versions?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

Yes I'd rank Civ 5 as my favourite of the series. I'm eagerly waiting for new ones though as I think there is always room for improvement but yeah, I found that there were many different ways to play the game and you had a pretty good chance of winning with each method when played correctly. So good balance, the AI provided enough challenge (though sometimes more in the form of "look we have 10 soldiers and you have 2" rather than actually using them well!) and overall this is a game that I can play over and over again.

3. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

I would agree that Civ5 is the best in the series. The balance between the different ways to capture and conquer is much better... there is no best solution, there is you using the solution you want to use. The AI is better without resorting to just cheating to present a challenge. There is no AI producting troops that they don´t have the tech to produce, or having techs without having the re-req techs.. etc.

4. Chris_A

They still did not fix the fact that India will nuke everyone if given the chance, lol.

5. Azrile

They were given a lot of criticism in the past for inserting too much ´stereotyping´ into the personalities of some of the AI leadership. I almost think now they troll the countries with some of the stuff they do and say.

6. Chris_A

Well, the thing with India and Ghandi, is, that in every Civilization game so far, India has been programmed to be so peaceful that the code actually broke and they went back into being super aggressive. It is a well known bug and glitch in every Civ game and an internal joke with any Civ fan.

7. Azrile

I don´t think it is a bug, I think they put it that way on purpose. The engines are completely different and there is probably no code that is actually cut-pasted from one game in the series to the next, so they would have to have done it on purpose. Better term is Easter Egg, not bug.

8. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I think that Civilization V, with all of the expansion packs, of course, is the best game in the series. With all the added content, it reaches the sweetspot between depth and accessibility, making it just a joy to play.

9. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

I think that either III or IV is actually the pinnacle of the series. I prefer Civ 4 to 5 since it has more strategic depth, and I would consider Civ III because I never liked the idea of expanding the 'personality' of nations' leaders - I feel it makes them too predictable in IV. I also started playing the series with Civ II, so I personally prefer the third game, it's much closer to the secondCiv than IV or V, but also improves the gameplay - CivII is just too dated for me.

10. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

It was an actual glitch/bug only in the first game, way back in the 1991. Since then, they've kept it on purpose, so it's a feature now. AFAIK it has even spawned some cute fan art with Gandhi as the evil overlord of the Civilization, destroying cities, killing settlers, pillaging farmlands and so on ;)

11. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, I completely agree with the fact. I enjoyed the graphics of the game and it was much better than any of the previous versions and that is why I love it.

12. gonemorp

Yes, that was the word that I wanted to say, it's 'Strategic Depth'. I agree with you. The game has more strategic depth.

13. gonemorp

I completely agree with you. Civ 5 is different than others. The AI is better than any previous game.

14. Chris_A

India is still broken, lol. :D Even in Civ V.

15. jalikam

jalikam Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, I agree with you. It's the best in the entire series. Among al the games, the fifth one is the best in my opinion. It's better than every other games out there.

16. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

I can definitely agree with most of what has been said in this thread.
    It will be interesting to see whether CIV 6 will be better than CIV 5 though! I am definitely looking forward for that.

17. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

From what I have heard, they removed lots of fun aspects that made Civ 1 to 3 fun to play. But I think it varies for everyone. All of us have an opinion on it, and I guess it varies depending on whether or not you are sentimental on the older games. If you are, all changes in newer ones would look like a downgrade, but for people playing Civ for the first time with Civ 5, it's the best game they have ever played.

18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

So far, yes, I enjoyed playing Civilization V a lot and I played Civilization 1 and 3 as well. I know that they removed some features but I personally loved it the most, you really felt like a leader in game.

19. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

Until civilizations 6 comes out, I definitely think so. I really like how the game has evolved it certainly is going in the right direction. Every version that is launched is better then the previous one.

20. jasonr299x

jasonr299x Active Member Regular

I definitely think that Civ 5 is the best game in the series. The game is overall balanced really well and the all of the nations are fun to play as. I think the game is much better with the DLC, but it's fun even without it. I spent over 600 hours playing without the DLC, and then I sunk in almost twice that after getting the DLC. There's just so much to do, and no two games are ever the same. The multiplayer in the game is really fantastic too. I don't think I've ever had as much fun playing video games with my friends as I when we play Civ. Secret alliances, full out wars, and constant tension really make the game pure enjoyment for however many hours you can get your friends together.

And the mods, don't even get me started on the mods. I've never played a game with as much customization available as Civ 5. Although all of the mods are made by the community and not the devs, the game is really accessible for all modders, so there are literally tens of thousands of mods on Steam available for everyone to download. I'm closing in on two thousand hours, and there are still so many mods that I want to try the game with. I've never played a game that can just keep me coming back for more every single day, until I played Civ. I honestly have no idea how anyone can get bored of this game, purely because there is so much customization available for everyone. I mean heck, I'm playing as Gilgamesh right as I'm typing this! What other game will let you do that? I could go on and on, but you get my point.