Quantcast

Best character overall.

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by William Quah, Dec 22, 2013.

1. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Who do you think is the best character ever created in an RPG? I'm not talking about aesthetics but in terms of backstory, character development, and personality. Heroes and villains are welcome.

2. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Hmm, I can't choose one so I'm going for the entire cast of Xenogears. The character development was superb. Even the NPCs and other minor characters had a story to tell. It's a game that has a rich tale to tell with such wonderful and interesting characters.

3. rosacrux

rosacrux Well-Known Member

Magus from Chrono. His lifestory is so tragic. First he is an enemy in the game. But then we are told his story, his fall and the reasons why he turned out to be a black magician. The he joins our party to fight Lavos. He is truly awesome

4. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

That is a tough one, but I think I would go with Axel from KH he was cool he had a catchy catch phrase and he wasn't a bad guy.

5. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Man, I'm just gonna say it's impossible for me to pick any. Too many great games with great characters, too hard to pick just one or even a handful...

6. lord1027

lord1027 Well-Known Member

Well, the one that first one that comes to my mind is Jack of Blades from Fable: The Lost Chapters. I really liked his voice, his evil background and story, also he's powerful and scary (in game :) ). Other than that, there are plenty great characters, I could probably write a whole book about them :))

7. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

I vote for Auron, he already starts the game off being a complete badass but he gets more and more interesting as you find out more of his backstory and his secrets.

8. WorkingGamer

WorkingGamer Member

I would say I really enjoy your character from KotOR and Your character from New Vegas. I really enjoy how while they do have some backstory you can create their life in between the start and end of what may already be laid out. Oh also HK because I love his backstory and how he was included in the MMO version.

9. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

I'd have to say the cast from KOTOR II. The back stories of each charachter were so fleshed out and well written and alot of them went on to be featured in the later book about revan's later life and it was pretty awesome.

10. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

I liked the cast from the first KOTOR better, but it does say a lot that both were so great :)

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

I'd have to go with the crazy vampire chick that owns the nightclub in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. So well done, sexy and creepy at the same time. I can't reveal too much about her due to spoiling the whole thing but she certainly is an interesting character.

12. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to why? To ME at least. They really didn't seem as fleshed out and unique as the KOTOR 2 cast but I'd love to hear your take on them.

13. SeanM

SeanM Well-Known Member

How about Cloud from final fantasy 7 I love his finisher moves, plus he has an array of weapons

14. Lodismel

Lodismel Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with someone earlier on here and say Magus. His backstory is just so intriguing. I spent a really long time researching trying to figure out what happened to him after his childhood. There are a lot of others that come close, but I think I'll have to go with Magus.

15. AlecD

AlecD Well-Known Member

I can't believe nobody has said it. By far and away Sephiroth is easily the best character in RPG history.

16. Wick99

Wick99 Well-Known Member Regular

The guy you pick in New Vegas. Just the way that you shape your destiny and the way the other factions and people act towards you based on your decisions is awesome. Plus you can make your own little stories to go along with it.

17. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Well-Known Member

carth onasi! star wars kotor, he had the most compelling story in all of gaming in my opinion

18. rachael

rachael Active Member

YES! Jack of Blades is amazing!!! He and Reaver are the best characters in the Fable universe, in my opinion. I really loved you could hear all the lore about Jack from the school kids and teachers, and read about him, before you even know he's got anything to do with the story. He is amazing, and I really love his mask.

19. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I would say Geralt the white a Witcher and monster slayer and he has a long life span, which is interesting and very fast and a guy who can choose sides or be neutral in some instances as seen in The Witcher games. In the games he is trying to recover from his memory loss and has to deal with the kings and the politics of the world which can be conflicting at times and most choices are lesser evil and no real good choices which is strange sometimes. In the third game his story will conclude and have played some parts of it, and is real interesting and am amazed as the graphics and the game engine have been pushed as far as it can go.

20. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

Oh dang that's a hard question. Can we only go with protagonist characters, or are NPCs okay too? Because if it is protagonists alone, the first one to come to my mind is the Persona 4 protag (Yu Narukami) who was one of my favs to play as. No particular reason though; just because. If I can include NPCs though, I'm sticking with Persona 4, but this time saying Tohru Adachi. He's such an interesting character, especially in Golden where you can have a social link connection with him and learn more about him. There's so much debate about his actions too. Whether or not his actions were at least partially his own or if they were entirely influenced by the game's real villain... Whether his friendship with the protag & his family was real or all an act... All of those things about him that make him an intriguing character.