Battleborn vs Overwatch?

Discussion in 'Battleborn' started by Patrickz, Mar 26, 2016.

?

Which game are you getting?

1. Battleborn

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Overwatch

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Both!

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

Lots of comparisons have been drawn between the two games, since they have many similarities (class-based FPS with MOBA features), and will be released within a month of each other.

Which game are you getting, and why?

2. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm more drawn to the designs of overwatch and I have much more confidence that it will be good because it is made by a reputable company but I will probably end up buying both as they offer different characters and skills and I'd love to get to try them both out.

3. Patrickz

Regular

I'd say both companies are equally reputable. Blizzard is well, Blizzard and Gearbox is behind the smash hit series Borderlands. Plus 2K is publishing, they were responsible for Bioshock Infinite among other great games.

DeeDee likes this.
  4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I see. I'm not too familiar with the other developer because I'm just a casual fan and all I hear about is Blizzard and the games they produce, but yeah I have heard of those other games and I know they are quite popular and well received so I guess I should trust their new game a lot more. I do like them both equally though

5. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

From what I've read, Overwatch and Battleborn might have some similarities but they also have some differences. For instance, Battleborn is more of a PvE MOBA format, with the killing of the enemies and stealing of the enemy base. On the other hand, Overwatch is more of a TF2 MOBA format, with capturing of the enemies and all that.

For me, Overwatch is more like Counter Strike. And since I did get addicted to Counter Strike back then, we'll see how this works out for me. I love the feel of Battleborn still and hope it will be able to at least equal Overwatch sales. I say that since Blizzard has been in the business for so long and it's inevitable that they might win this one.

6. Patrickz

Regular

Battleborn isn't just pure PvE mode though, it's just one of the many gamemodes available. There'll be traditional PvP maps as well. Kinda like TF2, with Mann vs Machine and other modes like Payload.

7. Kinomir

Kinomir Member
    Regular

Yeah, both of these games are being labeled as relatively new genre "Hero Shooter". It sounds okay, but I think they need to come up with something else.

Battleborn seems to be its own kind of animal though. I wouldn't put them in the same category at all. Having said that I prefer Overwatch.

#7 Kinomir, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  8. Patrickz

Regular

I mean TF2 has been around for ages, so it's not really new to have a class-based shooter. The addition of special skills like MOBAs is rather different though.

9. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

Update guys, I think it's just classic MOBA and PvP... I don't know if it's relatively a new genre since I have played MOBA even back then and it spells MOBA to me. Specifically, it's a MOBA first-shooter game.

But yeah, Gearbox don't even like calling the game MOBA because to them it's more of a cooperative competition game. For them, it has some elements of all other game genres.

10. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm definitely getting Overwatch. I had fun with Battleborn, but it just feels like there's something missing. At least with these betas we get to try out the games beforehand.

11. Kinomir

Kinomir Member
    Regular

I'm not saying that class-based shooter is new, but they just recently put a label on games of this same type. "Hero Shooter(?)" or "Hero FPS(?)" is just what games media has been labeling this recent wave coming out. I'm not actually sure who coined the term.

12. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree, the beta periods we get nowadays is pretty cool and everyone should really take advantage of it as much as possible because you get to test out the game for free and make plans on what you will be focusing on for the next few months lol. I also kind of favor overwatch a bit more but I will probably end up playing both.

13. Patrickz

Regular

Yeah, there's a PvE survival mode and storyline missions on a couple planets if I'm not wrong. That's something which Overwatch lacks as a purely PvP game.

14. ThorEl

ThorEl Member
    Regular

However there is no reason to believe that some form of a PvE mode/storyline content won't be released by Blizzard in the future. There is already massive amounts of lore content behind Overwatch and other similar titles such as TF2 have some out with some highly successful co-op vs. AI modes (Mann vs. Machine). Remember, this is Blizzard, these guys love telling good stories if they are able to.

15. mett1982

mett1982 Active Member
    Regular

I am really loving Battleborn. I love the feel of the games and the characters. I am a huge fan of Borderlands, so when I saw that they were making this game I got really excited.

16. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

Overwatch for now because I think I won't have time for other games for a little while. Battleborn I like but I played tf2 for a long time and love the feel of overwatch so far.

17. Patrickz

Regular

Yeah well we can only hope so. Diablo is their most recent PvE game that comes to mind, it's been quite a while already.

18. Hoppit

Hoppit Member
    Regular

Battleborn is made by Gearbox, fans of the Boarderland series might love this. Overwatch is by Blizzard, which make great games.

What I feel will sell these games are lovable characters and great game modes. I already see many lovable characters in both Battleborn, instantly fell in-love with Orendi which seems to be voiced by Ashly Burch who voiced Tiny Tina in the Borderland series, and Overwatch has also a good listing too. The few videos I saw of Gigantic shows a small handfull of characters, none really shined in my opinion.

All that said, I'm still having equal hopes for all three titles, for now.

daredevil likes this.
  19. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member
    Regular

Character design in Battleborn is cool but honestly gameplay value I see Overwatch being my go-to game.. Overwatch just seems more fluid and the gameplay is more dynamic. A lot of the times in Battleborne the combat felt too bland for a multiplayer game, sort of like playing Borderlands meets Overwatch.

20. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm also more in favor of the style of overwatch. I think the fantastical medieval themes have been a bit overdone by now so as much as I'm curious and interested in battle born it have to admit it's a little played out. So far the number of users apparently aren't too high which may be a sign that a lot of other people may be feeling the same way and are also favoring overwatch instead.