Backwards Compatibility

Discussion in 'PS4' started by SereneAngel88, Sep 20, 2015.

1. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm currently deciding getting a PS4 for a gift, but I'm not too sure if they have backwards compatibility on the next gen system and that could hold me back from getting it, since I doubt the person wants to rebuy all their games digitally. Would this be an issue that would have you reconsider the purchase?

2. Freddymac1

Freddymac1 Member

Do you mean PS3 on PS4 backwards compatibility? Because that's not happening. Some games have had re-releases or HD updates or use the cloud-based streaming thing, but no, PS3 games don't just work on PS4.

The new gen consoles use different hardware to the last, and to get those old games running, required emulation. Emulation is extremely complex, and very demanding. You are using the new hardware to "think" the way the older did.

It just isn't feasible.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nope, the PS4 sports new hardware. The games for the console aren't compatible with the old PS3 and viceversa, it's going to get dropped pretty soon. So.. a person that has games for PS3 won't be able to play games on the PS4, different optimization, architecture and compilation.

4. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it's a shame that there's no backwards compatibility and they're not even thinking about it. Xbox One has at least a way to make you play old games, you just need to have the Xbox 360 disc and put it in the new console so you can download the port for free. That's an advantage Microsoft has on Sony that is really important for many users.

5. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Backwards compatibility is never an issue for me because I always keep my old consoles. I learned my lesson about getting rid of them when I sold my Snes and N64. Years later I wanted to play some games and had no way of doing it.

6. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

No, the PS3 had a completely different arhitecture. Why didn't you keep your PS3 as its not like you would gain decent money by selling it ?

7. dabdab

dabdab Active Member

I think the Original Poster meant that they were buying a PS4 as a gift and wanted our opinion on whether the lack of backwards compatibility would cause one to reconsider buying it as a gift as the recipient of the gift would have to buy all their games again. (or at least that's how I read it)

Frankly, probably not an issue as the recipient would still have access to his older console and hid older games so the PS4 probably won't change anything.

8. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaine Member

Yeah, that would be annoying, but it's still a PS4! No big deal in my book.

If Sony ever puts out a new PS4 model with backwards compatibility, I'd have to get it. I would love to play some PS3, or maybe even PS2/PSX games. Someday (hopefully)!