Quantcast

ark

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by m0ldy, Mar 31, 2016.

1. m0ldy

m0ldy Active Member Regular

Would you consider Ark an RPG? It does have some RPG elements. It also recently went free to play on steam. The steam reviews are mixed but a lot say it's because the earlier version had bad FPS issues. I played it and didnt experience this but I have a high end system. Ark is also getting into esports now. Do you think this new genre of game will keep becoming more popular like mobas have?

2. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

You play a main character, which basically makes it an RPG.

But I think you are confused a bit. The main ARK game is not free to play, it is a side game that is only a battle arena that is free to play.

Ark is visually stunning, and has some really cool features, however, too much of the game requires just ´being there´ and doing something that requires no skill. Taming some of the biggest dinosaurs does not require any skill, the only way to do it is to get the dinosur trapped on some terrain peice like a cliff, and then shoot it endlessly while it just stands there. Then you have hours of ´taming´ it which is nothing but clicking on stuff in your backpack. There is no skill involved in a process that lasts many hours other than finding a cliff the breaks the AI of the creature.

3. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

I guess you can describe it as an Action Survival RPG or something like that. There are stats to level up, you get better with time and you develop better weapons and equipment. Those are things that usually happen in RPG games so... :p

I haven't played it yet but I know that it has a huge following. I've only played games akin to it like Dayz and Rust which do similar stuff except they don't have dinosaurs. :D But if it's anything like them it's a game where you have to play a lot to get valuable items for your character, and even then there's always the possibility to lose it all to an enemy player...

4. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah I would agree with you. It's a survival game with rpg elements to it. Although games like Dayz and Rust are geared MUCH more towards pvp and multiplayer than Ark is. In ark you have the choice of just running around and taming dinos all day. In Rust and Dayz its more like the game forces trolls to play and get your stuff.

5. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

Ark definitely has a lot of good RPG elements, from the crafting system onwards. I would really consider it an RPG.

6. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member Regular

I would definitely consider Ark to be an rpg. It is an open world game for you to explore, create your character and build your own shelter and items.

: ark