Are you still paying monthly subscription fees for any MMOs?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by wowtgp, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1 Active Member

Freemium is alright, I just won't pay for it. I'd rather it take me longer to do something than have to pay exclusively for it...

2. drkn335

drkn335 Well-Known Member

I don't think many games now do have monthly fees, most seem to be f2p with a cash shop for many add in game extras, which I prefer. There is one game being released soon into the West though called Blade and Soul, and currently in Korea it is a monthly subscription, so I reckon people will pay for that, and I certainly will if I can afford it because the game looks fantastic!

3. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

Yes, I concur. I have no problem with freemium business model either, but I won't play for it for sure. I am not someone who likes to keep paying to unlock things.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

As long as you can unlock them! Because in a lot of games you can buy items that are not even available through playing.

5. ChristosR

ChristosR Active Member

I never played WoW so i never payed a monthly subscription for game. I think that's silly, really. There are tons of great MMORPG's that are buy to play which are awesome. There is absolutely no need to pay subscription fee's for games

6. admatha

admatha Member

I paid for WoW from shortly before BC came out to shortly after Cata came out. I don't regret it. I don't drink or smoke so it's not like I'm spending a lot there, and WoW gave me a lot of entertainment for a very low monthly fee. I made some good friends, had some good times, and if I still enjoyed the game I'd still be paying for it. And if I could find another game I enjoyed as much I'd pay for that just as fast. Not much more than what WoW charged, though... $12/m or so is fairly easy to scrounge up even when I'm broke, but more than that would be pushing it. I'd actually rather pay a monthly fee than the way a lot of 'free' games are run these days. With WoW, my money was going toward maintenance, expansions, improvements, and so on. With F2P... eh. I'm not a fan of the "f2p" games because they all seem to be crippled unless you pay for the 'store items' that make things better, and often it seems like I'd have to pay more per month in store items than I ever would to play WoW without that 'crippled' effect. The only 'free' game I've found that doesn't do that is GW2 - yes you have to buy it but playing is then free - but it also (unfortunately) doesn't have a lot of replay value.

7. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

The last subscription fees I paid for was for WoW, which I stopped several months ago. I feel that the MMORPG market is evolving to a free to play model and I do not want to feed the greed of large corporations with my subscription money. WoW developers have hinted that they wanted a free to play game for when the last expansion is released and only then I will start playing WoW again.

8. leahcim132

leahcim132 Well-Known Member
    Regular

No, I don't pay any monthly fee to play MMORPG . It's either pay once or free to play. I think those monthly fee games should switch to one of those models. Monthly fee is just a pain in the butt :(.

9. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

It would be very scary if WoW did go free to play after the last expansion! It would probably do better than ever with kids paying for cool skins etc.

10. xlzqwerty1

xlzqwerty1 Well-Known Member

Never, never even once in my life, have I ever payed for an RPG monthly subscription. I may have payed for subscription for my Xbox 360's Xbox live, but that's about it for all the subscriptions I've payed for in my life. It's not worth it in my perspective to pay so much money every single month just to be allowed to enjoy something that you may or may not have time to actually enjoy and play. B2P is fine, and F2P is fine even if there's P2W, but subscriptions monthly are darn stupid.

11. crimsonghost747

Regular

While I certainly agree with your main point, certainly you can't seriously think around $15 is "so much" and you can plan slightly ahead so you know if you will or will not be able to fire up your computer a couple of nights a week?

I paid for Age of Conan when it first came out and it was alright, I played only for a couple of months though but I certainly felt like I got my moneys worth.

12. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

I have no problem with paying $15 a month for a game I enjoy. Why do people get so hateful at the idea of paying monthly for a game? They are happy to pay $10 to see a movie and be entertained for 2 hours, yet when it comes to paying $15 for probably 30+ hours of entertainment a month they can't stand it?

13. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I never paid any monthly fee I mostly stick to F2P games, but if I wanted to play those P2P games I would just find a private server I am cheap when it comes to spending money and paying a monthly fee adds up quickly.

14. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

The first game that has the similar model is Battlefield play 4 free. It's not a free game. You have to pay to progress. It's EA after all.

15. crimsonghost747

Regular

Because I don't consider it to be fair. I've already paid for the game... and now I have to pay more to access the content I've already paid for? It's not the $15, it's the principle.

Makes no sense... say you buy a computer. Do you pay another $200 (25% of the original price) every month to the manufacturer so you can boot it up every day? Nope, you've paid for it once and now it's yours and you can use it for free. Why should it be different with games?

16. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

Yes, but once you've bought the computer, there are no more additional costs to the company you bought the computer off. With a game there's crazy server costs and lots of development time to release new content and patches. If it was a single player game that doesn't go online and doesn't get updated then fine, but it's not.

You buy a mobile phone but you still have to pay each month to use it, because it's a service. WoW's servers/updates/patches are a service that you're paying for...

17. Riri

Riri Active Member

I am paying WOW monthly sub but considering I log on the game to play regularly I would say it's a money worth spend. I play as much as 3-5 hours on monday,tuesday and wednesday and probably just half an hour on the rests of the day. Just to log on and check on my farm lol

18. Riri

Riri Active Member

I share the same sentiment as this I don't mind paying for monthly sub if it means there's new content coming up every three months or so ,new raid, new dailies, new dungeons, new tiers, new mounts, new pets etc. If I pay monthly fee for just fixing some server bugs with contents rolling out slow and barely any new things to do then yes,

I am going enraged.

19. crimsonghost747

Regular

Did you just think about what you wrote? Seriously... your profile says that you're 24 so I'd expect you to have a slightly wider view of the world around you. (this is not to offend you, it's just to point out that common sense shouldn't be ignored.)
    You mentioned servers. And you don't think computer manufacturers have servers where they host their websites, updates etc? Sure, it doesn't have the same usage but you can't say that they are free. You mentioned new content and patches. Ever heard of drivers? Or windows updates? Are those not made by people? Are those people not paid to update these things? Also do keep in mind that certain games with subscription fees still charge you for DLC packs while manufacturers release updated drivers etc. for free. You also forget that there is this thing called customer service. While it does exist in games too, I have a firm belief that computer manufacturers in general have a larger base of customer service personnel than gaming companies. And these employees need to be paid, with money, not with bread crumbs.

Are you still saying there are no additional costs?

No. I've paid for the phone and it's mine. It's not a service, it's an item. I never paid anything to the phone manufacturer after the initial purchase. Now I can choose to pay a service provider (of my choosing) for the services which they provide. (eg network connection) But the phone manufacturer is NOT charging me any monthly fees to use the product which they sold me. I paid a one time payment for my phone and that's all.

I do have a service provider however that is completely different from the phone manufacturer. And to them, I paid a fixed fee of exactly ZERO but I do pay monthly for the service which I'm using. Now if you bought one of those packages where you get a "free phone" you probably do end up paying a monthly fee for having a phone. Ridiculous isn't it?