Quantcast

Are you down with RPGs with multiple endings?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, May 22, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

What do you think of RPGs with multiple endings? I think that they're cool and encourages replayability. However, the very first RPG that I have played which featured multiple endings left a bit of sour impression. The game was Chrono Cross.

Chrono Cross is a great game. I loved it. It's one of the greatest RPGs of all time. But do you know what left a sour impression? The ending. I got the bad ending on my first play through! I thought at first that it was the only ending in the game. Then I searched the internet and found out that it had multiple endings. Haha! Games with multiple endings could suck if you initially get the bad ending on your first play through. :)

2. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, I think RPGS with multiple endings are great as long as it's not just dialogue choices here and there. If it's forced choices that give you the illusion of actually changing the game- I'm not okay with it.

I like when the choices touch deep on morality.

3. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I like them, though there is usually a "TRUE ENDING" that kind of invalidates the rest of the endings. Like, 99% of the time there is a true ending so everyone ignores the others and goes straight for the true ending. Not really an issue in games that try to establish a series and need a proper canon but it's pretty lame when it's done in one-off games.

I think my favorite type of multiple endings are the ones in the Shin Megami Tensei games. They're usually just moral decisions between the Law, Neutral and Chaos paths but they're pretty interesting. SMT3: Nocturne changed it up by adding another ending that I really enjoyed since it requires you to go through a very hard optional dungeon, you have to EARN that ending.

4. thejamal

thejamal Well-Known Member

Yea no issues with it at all. Adds a certain "Oh crap, what do I do!" element to the games. Usually, what I'll do afterwards is look up the alternate endings on Youtube to see what I missed. It's not like the alternate endings lead to different gameplay, just some different cut scenes and new dialogue.

5. MrHurricane89

MrHurricane89 Well-Known Member

It depends on what influences the ending parts. I don't really like the Deus Ex games' way of managing it, because it feels that it didn't matter what I did up until the last level of the game, every choice is available at the very end. I prefer the method of Witcher 2, where you decide many things during the story, which all influence the ending parts heavily.

6. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, that's definitely an issue. When you get all these choices but none of them matter until the end, it's just lame and pointless. If I was a dick and went around being a jerk to everyone or killing innocents, I should NOT be able to get the "good" ending just because I chose so at the very end.

I think Fable had a lot of trouble with this, for example. For all the crap it had going on about its morality system, the ending was always a binary choice between "good" or "bad" ending in the final parts of the game.

7. Catalyst64

Catalyst64 Well-Known Member

I am a really big of games with multiple choices so yes, of course I am down with them. They're like my weak spot.

8. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Well-Known Member

I love games with multiple endings. Gives you a sense of accomplishment if you end up with the "right" ending, especially if it comes down to choices that you've made. Little things like helping that NPC and what not leading to them joining your party later and affecting the game's outcome are also nice mechanics.

9. Lolman112

Lolman112 Well-Known Member

I prefer games with multiple endings. I like to make choices and it adds replay value to a game. Usually those games also have a good story.

10. Serendipity1

Serendipity1 Member

Games with multiple endings are unique. I have played Chrono Cross and once you finish the game, you want to play it again so you can see what the other endings are. Ya, games with multiple endings are cool. :)

11. Lucky120

Lucky120 Well-Known Member Regular

I like the games that have multiple endings. I love the fact that you can have a choice when it comes to the end. I find that the games that have different endings are both fun and just different.

12. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

I love em, it gives alot more replay ability.

13. MrsKennedy

MrsKennedy Member

I absolutely love RPGs with multiple endings. The feeling of being forced to decide the fate of the outcome. But I also enjoy being able to play the game over and over with the different endings, it really makes it enjoyable to know tgat something different will come of it.

14. wulfman

wulfman Well-Known Member

I don't mind the different endings at all. Makes you want to play the game again.

15. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

I like games to have at most one alternate ending just so I could see what happens if I made a different choice. I absolutely don't like games with multiple endings where I've to choose different routes each time or I risk getting the same ending. Sometimes, the different choices are really hard to keep up.

16. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I like games with one ending multiple endings make the story confusing most of the time.

17. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

In my opinion multiple endings make a game play experience more fascinating since a player can make choices between different kind of endings.

18. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

What I like are collective endings, such as the Fallout series. Depending on the choices you made, the quests you took and the people you interacted with, the result of the game will tell you what happened to whom and what outcomes made it after X, Y and Z things were done. I wish more games had this sort of mechanic.

19. rachael

rachael Active Member

Yes! Theres no point in a RPG if every ending is the same, no matter what choices you make, it really defeats to purpose of making those decisions.

20. hamz10

hamz10 Well-Known Member

That's why I love fallout because you can be with the enemies or friends so you get different endings every time. It's always fun to replay that game for the endings!