Are you buying WOW Legion before launch?

Discussion in 'World of Warcraft' started by Azrile, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am just curious as to how many people are going to be buying Legion before the official launch date.

This is probably the end of WOW for me, because this is the first time I am not pre-ordering the expansion way before launch. The questing in WOW is fun, but for this expansion I am probably just going to wait until Legion is discounted, then subscribe for a month or two and get a couple of characters up to max level.

2. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't see the point in pre-ordering the game, I've been burned out by WoW and the last few expansion packs, so throwing down the money on the game before knowing anything about hte overall quality doesn't seem very smart. I'll wait a few months, watch some videos, read some impressions etc of the final release, and make my decision based on that.

3. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nope! I might play wow a bit after it drops, but I'm done with the game for the most part. Just no funsies for me anymore, but world pvp is always promising

4. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I know WOW was having issues before, but I think this is the expansion where we will see the huge drop-off. I just don´t see anyone on any forum excited about this expansion, even on the WOW forums I hear a lot of people talking about waiting to play.

5. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'll buy it after the price drop. At this point I prefer just spending my money on other games instead and I think paying full price for this is not that much appealing to me anymore. Maybe I'll change my mind once I get to try it out though.

6. Necabo

Necabo New Member

Oh no I ma not buying legion! I have had enough of wow tbh, they have ruined their game ever since those stupid pandas! I dont think they can rectify it any more tbh!

7. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

Me and wow are done and have been for a while. It's just one of those things I put in the past and never picked back up, except that one time right before I put it back down again ;)

8. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Same here. I think I will just follow it more casually from now on since I have a lot more choices to spend my time on. I still find it interesting but I don't think I'd spend much more money on it.

9. mauricioq

mauricioq Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't think so, I still like playing wow but I've been losing a lot of interest in it, maybe because all my friends are quitting it too. Maybe if some of them buy it, I'll do the same, just to play with them. Let's see.

10. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that is what I am going to do. Wait until the price-drop, then play for a few months just to get my main and maybe an alt or two up to level cap and play through the dungeons a few times. Really right up until I have to any type of grind to advance my character. That has been my biggest problem with WOW the last two expansions.. the actual journey is so short, and then you get quickly to the point where everything is weekly or daily grinds that are so obvious. I want to play my main character without doing repetitive content for more than the first week of an expansion.

DeeDee likes this.
  11. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I haven't been playing games nearly as much as before so I decided that I will wait for the price drop and buy it then. I am going to concentrate more on games I am playing at the moment and once I am finished with them there will be time for new WoW.

12. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have a lot of friends who prefer buying early on and just obsessing over it for the first few weeks and it's good that they get their enjoyment that way but for me it's different because I'm not that much in a hurry and I like to pace myself a bit more. They have advantages to their method of course since they get to level up before everyone else but I'm okay with being left behind because the game has a long lifespan anyway.

13. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I won`t be pre-ordering for sure. I will wait and see if the expansion is any good and if it gives me any reason to get back into WoW once more.

14. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I was actually a few weeks late buying WoD, it made a huge difference in questing. The world felt ´normal´ if you are not questing in every small area with 10 other people. The problem with doing that and being a month behind everyone else when you hit level cap is that you get less ´talented´ people when doing the intro endgame content. The hardcore people had already moved up, so you are left queuing with people who are less skilled. In a way, it is like doing LFR near the middle of a patch cycle.

DeeDee likes this.
  15. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

After the way WoD turned out I think a pre-order is a hard sell. I can cope with being a little behind if it means I actually like the content and changes. If it turns out to be a cluster I'll move on without wasting the money.

16. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

My friend bought a new game super early once, forgot what it was, but by the time a month had gone by he was already so strong in the game that he was just pawning noobs left and right and whoever was on his team also had much to gain whereas I imagine anyone on the opposing side would feel so frustrated. I wonder if developers take steps to prevent this or if they just let it be most of the time.

17. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

A lot of the early MMORPGs had that problem, EVE still has it for example. But nowadays, most games with PVP have gating mechanisms for early players to keep them from getting too far ahead, and catch-up mechanisms for new players. WOW does this by using seasons, basically every 6 months or so, gear completely resets, so the most hardcore people only ever get a few months ahead of everyone else.

UO was basically ruined early on because of what you described. There was the ability to kill other players, and large amounts of players would wait outside of the cities and newbie areas to kill new players with their fully developed characters. The object they said was that older players that did not want to kill new players would run to defend the new players against the bad players.. but that never helped often enough, and new players were quitting in droves because they were being treated like sheep within the game.

18. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah I think developers really need to actively combat this for a game where you can build up your character. Definitely doesn't sound fun being on the other side as a noob and I'm sure they lose a lot of players that way.

19. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Ultima Online was a pioneer back in those days. It was a huge social experiment. The creator said he had no idea people would want to play as player-killers, and thought they would be very rare and on the fringes.

It really ruined the game in a way because many of the early years, the dev team wasted all their time chasing their tails trying to reign in PKing. They created penalties for killing players, if you were a PK and were later killed, you would lose a big chunk of your stats and have to retrain. But then players learned how to cheat the mechanism and trick the sheep into being the aggressor.

I know it is considered wimpy, but I am of the opinion that a game should either decide it is centered around pvp ( Like MOBAs and Eve) or else not have pvp at all. WOW is another example of a game that wasted huge amounts of dev time chasing pvp in a mainly pve game. think about the history of PVP in WOW and how many changes, reversed changes and systems that were created to make pvp fun, and I think many people would rightly argue that today, pvp is really no better than it was a launch and has less participation.

20. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

I am trying to decide if the rewards for a pre-purchase are even worth consideration right now. I wasn't going to to get the xpac until a few weeks after launch, but I run a decently active guild and am getting some pressure there as well.