Are people surprised when they find you you play?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by Michelle, May 19, 2015.

1. Michelle

Michelle Well-Known Member

Maybe this is a weird question, but I've often wondered if people have the same experiences that I do with this. When people find out I play MMORPGs (I play WoW), they are usually extremely surprised. I think the fact that I don't fit into their (arguably narrow minded) view of what a gamer looks like throws them off. Sometimes, if the other person plays too, they'll flat out not believe me and ask for some kind of proof. I think a lot of this also has to do with being female, but that's another thread!

Conversely, people are not at all surprised when they find out my husband plays :rolleyes:

What about you guys? Are people surprised to hear that you play? What are their reactions?

2. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

From the looks of it, there are two possibilities:
    1) Your entourage isn't quite accustomed to games, generally;
    or
    2) You're a female, and men usually tend to discriminate females playing games. I guess it's a form of taboo, in their perception. Well, not for me, anyway, haha.

Me being a fellow, I've never seen any surprising reactions when I told people I was playing games for the first time, but they did make some funny faces when girls told them they did play. Haha.

3. Michelle

Michelle Well-Known Member

I think it is both in my case. I'm female and you're right, people are generally not used to female gamers. Taboo seems a bit harsh but it might not be untrue. People act shocked sometimes when they find out I play WoW. My friends aren't really gamers (well, some are, but overall they aren't) so its probably a combination of 1 and 2 for me lol.

4. tubestud

tubestud Well-Known Member
    Regular

I usually get a few raised eyebrows whenever games come up in a discussion, and I casually mention that I used to play a lot of WoW back in the day. I guess people still expect gamers to be pasty unwashed basement dwellers. Luckily, things are changing, slowly but surely.

5. superbobby

superbobby Active Member

Everyone plays nowadays. The nerds are no longer the ones ruling the MMORPG kingdom.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not really. As superbobby said, everyone plays games nowadays and people shouldn't be too suprised if they find out you're interested in MMORPGs.

7. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nope not really. But the majority of my friends are gamers themselves, I have never intereacted with someone ona friendship level that wasn't very similar to me ins ome way or another. A long time ago with a friend who wasn't really into games, said he found it hard to uonderstand why I liked them so much, they and I went and got him addicted to gaming. heh. For you as a girl, it depends on a few things. there are narrow minded people, think the CoD/BF crowd of teenaged/twenties gamers, who are boys and frat boys they discriminate against women anyway, and or were jockss so they will be surprised. more so if its an attractive girl playing games. Some of the nerds might be surprised, just because at one point in time they were the ones being made fun of for playing games or being looked at weird by guys AND girls.. so that's kind of a backlash effect I guess.

8. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

My older coworkers don't really expect me to be the gaming type. Library dwelling for sure, but not gaming. I rarely mention it unless I find out that another coworker is into gaming but generally I don't bring it up. As for friends- I'd be hanging out with the wrong crowd if they couldn't see me gaming haha. These days anybody plays games...as to the level of complexity and type- well, that differs. Some parts of the country is still backwaters when it comes to perception on stereotypes and stuff, but for the most part it's become accepted in mainstream society.

I heavily played in a time where 'tits or gtfo' was the norm and I was in the vast minority of women/girls into games like WoW, TF2 and others. It sucked having to deal with immaturity on all levels but I strove to make a point that my gender didn't matter, only my skills.

If your friends can't wrap their heads around the fact that varying people have varying hobbies, they're in for a very hard time with reality. Not to be mean, but it's the truth. People can't live life with blinders on forever. Times change, people change and so do perceptions.

This isn't the 60's where women are expected to be perfect housewives and not indulge in hobbies outside of homemaking.

9. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member
    Regular

My friends typically don't really dwell in it as much as I do. But as I meet new people, they seem amazed that I leave the kitchen enough to pick up a controller and play. -.- But, on a lighter side, it can be a great conversational topic for the whole table to enjoy.

10. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Not really, where I live it's quite common to play MMORPG thus none doesn't really surprise if he knew about my gaming tastes about this genre.

11. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

Most of my friends are not PC gamers. The ones that are gamers, but not for the PC, play casual games on Wii. So when I mention I play games like WoW, they are either indifferent or they picked up a news bit somewhere and half-seriously warn me the dangers of being addicted to WoW. It's a bit annoying because they might as well warn me for drinking alcohol and becoming an alcoholic, yet it's fine I drink wine, but it's not okay for something they are ignorant about?

Anyway, the only time I really surprised anyone would be my wife. She was surprised I played some super cartoony games like Unholy Heights and Starbound.

12. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nah, not really, especially when it comes to a game like WoW. People of all beliefs/races/genders play video games so most of the time it's not surprising to find them play video games. Most people aren't surprised at all that I play video games. I wouldn't be surprised either if I find that most of my teachers play videos games, I think some of them play WoW.

13. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes, always. Most of my friends don't play games and I'm fine with it. But in my previous school, my friends are playing games and all of them are guys, I'm the only female who likes to play games.

14. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic Well-Known Member

Ya most of my friends that I hang out with think it's weird that I play games, whether is be MMORPGS or console games.

15. obliviousme

obliviousme Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not really. I think it's a given that everyone nowadays are into pc gaming/mobile gaming. As far as i know, most of us nowadays have welcomed the change the advanced technology brought to us, and gaming is part of that. I think it's more surprising if you don't play an online game or two nowadays. :p

16. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

Most people my age have played MMO's so it really isn't that weird. My friend's Dad is 55 and he played World of Warcraft and Runescape.

17. Gamepreneur

Gamepreneur Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think maybe 5 to 10 years ago they might be surprised, but nowadays it seems almost everyone plays some variation of an MMORPG, or at the very least lots of casual multiplayer games thus making the whole thing much less unusual anymore.

In general, most people know I am a pretty big gamer and although I don't look it in person, they can tell based on my personality and how excited I get over new games! It's fun to be a gamer, and anyone who says it's not is missing out!