Are MMOs dying?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by DomDom, Jan 29, 2014.

1. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

What do you think guys? With the advent of F2Ps the industry is moving int othis direction. Even Blizzard with its WoW (most popular MMO ever) is making a F2P game? Are people just not into paying monthly subscriptions anymore or is it the lacking quality of new MMOs?

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I don't think so, but I personally find myself playing them less the problem with MMO's is if you can't invest time you will just be falling behind which makes it a waste of time in my opinion.

3. AnotherEmpty

AnotherEmpty Member

I don't think dying is the right word, but maybe fragmentation? Back in the 'Good Ole Days' it seemed like everyone was on one of two or three MMOs. Everquest was one, also WoW maybe another random. Now... Shit. Everyone is picking up their own niche and as a result the classic experience is just not ever going to happen again. Every game is going to be comparatively less travelled than when there was only one game in town... It does take away from the experience and makes it seem like activity is winding down.

Does that necessarily mean that the future is f2p? Nah, but it could happen.

4. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

Good arguments. I have to agree with the time waste one. I remember playing vanilla WoW and raiding like 6 out of 7 days for 5+ hours being glued to the screen. Back then it was easy, no time constraint, school is easy, no obligations. Nowadays...not so much :)

5. AnotherEmpty

AnotherEmpty Member

Damn you life! Hah. Too many responsibilities. Not enough time to just sit back and waste some hours on some enjoyment.

6. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's both. The economy sucks so people have less money that they can afford to put towards paying a monthly subscription. With the advent of quite a few fairly good quality F2P games coming out in the past couple of years (and several paid MMOs that ended up being garbage before going F2P), people are starting to realize that paying a monthly subscription to a game does NOT in fact increase the overall quality or production value of the game, so it is essentially worthless and causes you to overpay for a game.

At the same time, F2P is causing MMOs to turn into money farms. An MMO designed to make money off of a cash shop is not going to have much production value from the start. Unfortunately people's willingness to play them anyway makes these games lucrative, so the only ones players can blame for ruining MMORPGs is themselves for lowering their standards so much.

tinybutnotfangless likes this.
  7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

The industry is definitely changing. Micro-transactions seem to be the norm nowadays. The problem with them is that often they are made in a way which makes them overpowered.

In my opinion the best choices are either traditional games where you buy the game and that's it, or a f2p game where you can buy in game MONEY with real money. The thing that bothers me with most f2p item shops is that they sell things which you can't get with ingame money, and usually those items are very powerful.

8. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

No, WOW clones are dying. People are getting tired of the same format. OVER AND OVER AND OVER. The MMO industry needs to be shaken up and it needs to be changed drastically.

9. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

I agree MMOs standars have been lowered too much. On the other side I would pay top dollar for another Blizzard MMO if I can get atleast half the fun hours I spent playing WoW. I think Blizz will be forced to make another MMO soon because WoW is closer to the end than the start :)

10. MrFreshh

MrFreshh Well-Known Member

I think MMO's are just evolving. They are no longer the same vanilla WoW experience that we are used to seeing. They will probably head in a completely different direction to what we are used to seeing. I often point to the example of Star Citizen, which has been pretty heavily hyped up so far. It has the potential to completely change the way we think about massive multiplayer online games. Hopefully for the better.

11. sidd230

sidd230 Well-Known Member

I think the novelty of MMOs have worn off, and unless there's something really innovative in an upcoming MMO I don't see them sticking around for long.
    A lot of us when we play a new MMO, there's nothing really remarkable about it, maybe it has an innovative combat or crafting, but you're pretty much going to do the same nonsense we've been doing for the last decade.

12. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

No. They are just beginning. MMOs like anything else will change as they go. ESO will be a massive example of this.

13. CrownedClown

CrownedClown Well-Known Member

I guess the reason for MMOs dying as it was already mentioned is the lack of good quality MMOs in recent years. Almost each MMO that has come out ended up being a disapointment while at the same time more and more other genre games are coming with great quality(considering content/visual experience).
    What's more apperantly competitive games seem to be a lot more appealing nowadays compared to MMORPGs even Blizzard revived their old project all stars and renamed it of course to Heroes of the Storm.

This year I myself am looking forward to Warlords of Draenor as well as Wildstar, but if both games turn out to be a disapointment chances are I'll switch to MOBAs exclusively. At the moment I play MOBAs, but still WoW takes most of my time.

14. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

Why would anyone believe MMO games are dying? The few that are being played by millions of players will continue to have millions of players for many more years and the new games that come out will continue to come and go or worst, come then become a free-to-play cesspool of hackers, spammers and trolls.

So long as there is a need for entertainment coupled with the fact the internet will be around for a long long time, people will continue to subscribe to MMO games, even if only for a short time each new game.

15. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I believe MMORPGs in current state has gone downhill due to lack of new creativity. Every MMORPGs I have come cross are basically the same. We need something new and interesting...

WOW is hardly the first MMORPG. Many MMORPGs came out before or around the same time as WOW had exactly the same format. WOW was the most popular simply due to its good marketing and most important of all it's made upon the names of the previous popular games by Blizzard.
    Let me tell you, I played Lineage 2 before WOW... which was a game came out at the same time as WOW. So WOW didn't impress me because to me, it's just like Lineage 2 but with inferior graphics. The basic concepts of the gaming is the same in both games... as with the dozens other MMORPGs I have tried afterwards. They are all copycats of each other. The bottomline is, WOW isn't the grandpa of MMOs.

16. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

MMO's are not dying, in fact the playerbases are getting bigger and bigger over the years. There are more video game programmers than ever before so there will be many new MMO's in the future.

17. averycagle9595

averycagle9595 Active Member

I don't believe that there exists any evidence that in anyway suggests that MMOs are dying.

18. athenos

athenos Well-Known Member

I don't think they're dying at all. But yes, they are evolving. I think it'll be really exciting to see where they end up in a few years, or this year with new platforms for them.

19. swagger

swagger Well-Known Member

Somewhat. Nowadays, most kids are into shooters more then RPGs, and the previous generation who were more into RPGs are now adults and most have families/jobs, and can't play RPGs as much.

20. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

No, MMOs aren't dying. This is proven with the slews of new MMOs in development. Actually, MMOs is currently reaching its peak so I don't see it dying anytime soon.