Appropriate / Fun For 11 Year Old Boy?

Discussion in 'SMITE' started by DeeDee, Mar 23, 2016.

1. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

My nephew is getting a ps4 soon and he is looking for games to play on it and I thought I would recommend this one since I see it being played by some of my favorite streamers on twitch. I am worried that he will get flamed in online gameplay though so I thought I would ask you guys for your opinions on this first before I make my decision.

Do you think this game would be a good recommendation for my 11 year old nephew or should I just look for something else?

2. Bunnyriffic

Bunnyriffic New Member

For an 11 year old, I think this game would be perfect! The only in-game communication are a set of taunts and commands. They are all appropriate. The only thing I might worry about is the vocal interaction, as the more "elite" gamers tend to be ruthless toward new players. That goes for most games though. However, that's something you can disable or mute I believe. I have an Xbox One so I don't know the exact way to do that for a PS4. You could easily google it if you don't know how to do it. ;) As far as skill level, this is something an 11 year old could pick up very quickly. There aren't more than 5 moves per God so it's not complicated. It all depends on where and when the abilities are used that render them effective or in-effective. As far as visual appropriateness goes, I'm pretty sure the most "risque" God is Aphrodite. She's the goddess of love, so naturally her outfit and voice are meant to be sexually appealing. Though, I find her to be incredibly annoying! I hope I helped! If you have any more questions about the game, I'm sure I can answer. If not me, someone else on the forum may be able to help you. Hope he enjoys! :p

KaseyHopeMartin and DeeDee like this.
  3. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Appropriate for an 11 year old? Sure it's great! If you completely ignore the content of the game that is. Chat and miscellaneous functions for social interaction should be monitored or restricted, but that isn't the only thing you should be worried about as a parent. You shouldn't let an 11 year old play a MOBA at all.

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Thanks for the very informative post! The most I worry about is voice chat but I guess that is a common worry for me for all games since every game played online has that. As long as it is not necessary to play this game online though I think i will let him play the game just without voice chat. As for the risqué content I'm not too worried since we have already let him play GTA v and he is already very mature for his age as most kids are nowadays. He knows not to take it too far at least because we always play with him and we get to guide him through the many limitations. Anyway, thanks again now I have one vote towards recommending the game to him. :)

KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  5. KaseyHopeMartin

Regular

Absolutely. The only in game communication as stated is a series of pre-loaded greetings, taunts, and game play commands to help people work as a team. The voices can be muted of the other players with mics on consoles. Which is nice. And it's very rare that you run into people with mics or who are using them anyway - generally only party members will have the mics anyway.

This game is challenging but its pretty simple to get the hang of, especially if you choose one God to learn at a time. It can be considered educational as the God profiles have the actual lore behind the Gods behind them that he can read and learn about too, and it's very diverse in terms of incorporating cultures! They are even adding in Japanese Gods now!

It will also teach him teamwork, the fundamentals of PATIENCE, and how to be a good sport (because to play a MOBA you really do need to learn all of those things lol). It will help him learn to be a quick thinker and if he learns how to adapt to situations.

And he'll still have fun at the same time. :)

6. Nytegeek

Regular

No wonder kids are growing up so desensitized to violence and immoral acts. <sigh> Grand Theft V? MOBAs? Not content suitable for children. Be a parent not a friend.

7. KaseyHopeMartin

Regular

With that point of view, No video game is good for anybody. Video games are not the problem. Violence is everywhere in the world, a video game is a harmless area of that. What desensitizes kids nowadays is the fact that there's so much hate in the world they see it everyday in the real world. You think kids are learning bad habits off of MOBAS? Try at school. Bullying, Racism, gang-relations, hate crimes. Its' all out there. At least video games have a storyline whereas there's no real good reason for any thing that's done in the real world.

Though, I wouldn't encourage anyone to play Grand Theft Auto or V or anything. Those games are just foul. Lol.

8. Nytegeek

Regular

Not at all. I just think 11 is to young to be playing games with violence or really crude games like Grand Theft Auto. I really think 13 as a bare minimum for most MOBAs or most MMORPGs is a good guideline.

KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  9. Loopulk

Loopulk New Member

I agree with what the others have said above. Communication is pretty limited and the only thing for which to look out is the risqué outfits. There's one thing that also applies, though, which could be bad: the game can be very frustrating. It's not like GTA or anything where he can just try again. Oh no. I've played games and went like 20-0 (20 kills, 0 deaths) and lost due to poor teammates. This is very discouraging and makes me super upset.

I guess it can be good at teaching that life's not always fair, but it's definitely not going to teach him that hard work achieves things, because it honestly doesn't in Smite. A teammate leaves? You lose if you can't finish it before the endgame. A teammate keeps dying and feeding the other team? Good luck catching back up!

I'd keep an eye on him because things could go wrong with this game. Just make sure that he handles losing well when it's not his fault.

DeeDee likes this.
  10. KaseyHopeMartin

Regular

That is fair enough in all honesty. I'm hoping that when I have kids they won't really be interested in video games as my boyfriend and I are pretty outdoorsy (I only play when I have a LOT of time to kill and when I am super duper uber bored).

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think these games are ok for 11 year olds. It's not like there is THAT much violence and they might even learn a thing or two.. such as "everything is easier when you play in a team instead of everyone doing their own thing".

You could let him try it on the pc now so you know if he will like it or not. I don't know if the PS4 version will be free or not.

DeeDee likes this.
  12. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Lol did you learn that off of a bumper sticker? Thanks but no thanks, Dr. Phil. I think I'd rather just be both since your way obviously turns people into ignorant, self righteous know-it-alls like you. "X" media will turn people evil... Yeah right because guidance and communication don't factor into it at all and the internet doesn't exist in your little world, of course. <sigh> go back to the 90s, simpleton, so you can protect people from listening to heavy metal LMAO.

Thanks for the sound advice, mate! I'm actually not too worried about the outfits because even disney and nickelodeon are sort of off the charts with that nowadays and it's not like I can just cover his eyes forever, and as for the lessons on losing, very good point and I've actually played some smaller MOBAs with him before and we already know to just laugh at losses, which happens a lot, unfortunately, since neither of us are really that good. I was more just concerned about the voice chat because I don't want teenagers flaming him before he's at the age where he's at least ready to dish out the trash talking right back, and apparently from what I gather from all of the helpful comments here it's not such a big problem so I probably will recommend this to him. I'm not even that sure he'll want to pick it up anyway since he does kind of find it very frustrating when teammates are feeding or don't know what to do, and understandably so because I feel the same way lol. Anyway thanks again for the very informative feedback.

Thanks to you too, mate! Very good point on the teamwork and It didn't cross my mind to look it up on PC to try it out first and that it's free. Hopefully my laptop can handle it.

#12 DeeDee, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  13. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

Most games nowadays are actually quite violent and involve online multiplayer. I'd say that it's pretty fun and alright for an 11-year old boy. Better than GTA V, anyway.

14. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah I do agree this is appropiate for a kid of that age, even though you shouldn't really care why? because a lot of parents let their kids play violent games nowdays such as GTA V and so on but that's how far we've gone they have adapted the games a lot so they don't contain that much graphic stuff even though sometimes it can't be helped. But this game is really appropiate for a kid of that age indeed, recommend you to encourage him to play it.