Quantcast

Apparently there are dogs in the game

Discussion in 'The Division' started by Ishmael, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

A little teaser came out yesterday that showed that there are animals roaming around the open world. Dogs, to be specific.

Unfortunately I cannot post links for some reason, but a little research on a search engine should help you see what I'm talking about.

What do you think of this addition? What do you think dogs will do? Will we be able to have one as a companion? Do you think they'll add more species of animals in the game?

I think it's a cool addition that will add more "life" to the open world aspect for sure, and I hope they'll make some mechanic based around the animal presence.

2. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

The way I see it, dogs aren't gonna do much. If you are to look at how Chop was implemented in GTA V, you can easily see he doesn't do much. Sure, he can be a bit of help when you actually use him, but he really doesn't get 'advertised' as much as he should be in-game.

3. Delirium

Delirium Well-Known Member Regular

Cute! I'd be here for it. They probably won't be a major part of the game (or hopefully not anyway), but it's nice to have a touch of realism. I'd love it if I could have one as a companion. They'll probably distract me a lot though, my gameplay will probably be me trying to keep my dog(s) alive for as long as possible haha.

I hope they'll have 3-5 different breeds at least. Not too few that it'd feel half assed, not too many that the game would turn into Dogz 2.

4. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member Regular

I love having dogs in any game, even if they don't do anything useful. It's just great to see them running around, especially as companions.

5. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member Regular

They might have them as companions which would be cool. But if not, maybe they'll just roam and be added visual to the game.

6. Ishmael

I agree. You can't be disappointed in something not even the developer is pushing, but it's a nice addition to see.

7. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, as a side-option, Chop was an interesting addition. It was nice to know he was up for grabs if you actually wanted to use him. I'm betting dogs will play the same role as Chop in this game.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I would love to have dogs as companions but sadly I think they're trying to steer of as clear as possible from Fallout, so we probably won't see this implemented.

9. Delirium

Delirium Well-Known Member Regular

Is this true? That's a shame because I swear The Division and Fallout are two very different games. I don't get why they're trying to stay away from Fallout at all. I mean it's not like Fallout is the only game where you can have companions.

I feel like there are some comparisons between them that I'm not aware of..

10. Ishmael

Dude, dogs are EVERYWHERE in videogames. :p It's not like Fallout invented them as buddies, this very year we had MGSV with a dog in it (a very awesome dog I might add). There's nothing wrong if they want to add dogs as companions. I don't think they will though but not because of that reason, but because it's not a thing they want to focus on and they rather do other stuff instead. I think dogs are there just for atmosphere and immersion. Animals going around in a deserted concrete jungle make sense in a post apocalyptic scenario, after all.

11. JC_224

JC_224 Active Member Regular

I like the idea of the possibility for dogs and other potential wildlife to be an additional threat when playing. Similar to how in Far Cry 3 and 4 you could be caught off guard by a snake or similar animal while sneaking around, it would be pretty interesting to see how animals could dynamically effect you both positively or negatively in the world.

12. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

This is really cool if you ask me. I can't find the video you're talking about and I'm actually kinda embarrassed I haven't seen it yet. I personally don't care if you can have dogs as companions as long as it's optional. I absolutely adore dogs in real life and hate having them as companions in games because then they can die and that messes with my mind.

13. Ishmael

I agree it was really neat in Far Cry 3 where you could use the wildlife against the enemy. I don't think they will do this in The Division because so far we only know about dogs and it would be weird to use only them as a tactic to attack the enemy.

14. zombie23

zombie23 New Member

Whats up with all these dog centric games coming out lately? MGS, Fallout, now maybe Division? I love myself some doggies, but why are they all coming now? Anyway #DoggyHype

15. d'arakh

There was one in one of the recent Call of Dutys if I remember correctly. I don't know why there's so many of them in games, but I reckon it's because they're easily trainable, relatively small, and are know historically as a companion to humans so it's very familiar to have a dog as a companion for a player. And a lot of people just love dogs.

16. Player7

Player7 Active Member Regular

You guys are right, probably game designers have found that including a dog here or there makes players enjoy more the game. This would perhaps mean that the game sells a bit better. Wait, that might be taking things a bit too far :) I'm persuaded it's just a nice touch to all of these games, unless there is someone in the developing team who roots for dogs and has participated in creating all these games. JK.

17. igasmurfa

igasmurfa Member Regular

No way! Nope, nononononono! It's a post-apocalyptic style game (not really but you know what I mean) and seems to be pretty serious. If there's a dog, that dog will die. Most likely in a heart breaking cinematic scene.

18. d'arakh

Haha, yeah, that's why I hate it when they add animal companions to the games. Or to the movies. It's weird how a dog's death can have a bigger emotional impact on me than when a person dies on screen.

19. Ishmael

That's if one of the dogs is a somewhat important character. I don't think it's the case. So don't worry. ;)

20. d'arakh

I get upset even if any dog dies in the game haha :D I was playing GTAV when a mountain lion attacked me and I felt really bad for shooting.