Anyone restart FFXI lately?

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy XIV & FFXI' started by StillWinning, Jan 29, 2016.

1. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I haven't been since the Aht Urghan Expansion...and I'm missing home. I played from RoZ to CoP and quit towards the end of ToAU, but I heard that it's way faster to hit max levels now. I just want something fun to do in my spare time and am wondering if it's worth the hassle. I just wanna wander around windurst for a while, you know?

Just looking for some thoughts/opinions on the current state of the game for a new account. Thanks :)

2. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am not sure if it is anything that you could get back into really, but if all you want to do is wander around a little bit then I would say that there is no harm. It has been awhile since I have played but it always was one of my favorites, especially one to explore, so I would say that if it makes you happy go for it.

3. StillWinning

Regular

Yeah man I played for quite a while, the problem is that it's hard to find opinions outside of forums that either think it's the greatest thing ever or isn't worth the time...while I have to imagine the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Just trying to get a general idea.

4. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

I thought about playing but I honestly don't feel like picking it up again if my old friends are too busy to play with me.

5. StillWinning

Regular

I just miss the feel of the game...it's still final fantasy, you know? It's like...you can go back to VII or 8, X...but XI is a little different, can't just go barging back into the game.

6. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Yet another necroposter. This was a dead topic about a more or less dead game. There are no more updates to it and FFXIV is superior to it in every way. Why would anybody restart it and why did you revive the topic?

7. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana Member
    Regular

I restarted Final Fantasy XI at the beginning of my summer break. There have been new updates and some new content, but its incredibly easy to master, if you play with a competent group. I don't think it is a dead game necessarily. I prefer the content in Final Fantasy XI over XIV. Final Fantasy XIV is geared more towards the masses, and the game play is much easier. I prefer the more complicated system of battle in XI to the battle system of XIV.

8. Nytegeek

Regular

It is far from being dead. Plenty of people online at any given time. It seems to be doing quite well, but with no future updates it isn't going to stay that way.

#8 Nytegeek, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  9. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it's alright and it's not that bad if that's what you prefer. The new ones are a lot more popular but this one still has its charm and anyone who loves it will feel good replaying it again. I plan on doing so in the future.

10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I haven't played it in a long time because I thought the servers were dead, seems like there are still players online which may spark up the interest for me once again. Has anyone played it lately? :D

11. Nytegeek

Regular

FFXI has been essentially abandoned by Square Enix though it is still online and operational. No new content and no future updates is a good sign that a game is on it's death bad. The user base will dwindle eventually if not sooner later.

12. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana Member
    Regular

I doubt subscriptions will consistently increase for Final Fantasy XI, but I don't think it will be a swift decline. It definitely isn't dead, in my opinion, and I still have a blast playing it. I think Square Enix tried to export everyone into Final Fantasy XIV much too early.

13. Nytegeek

Regular

The hard drop in subscriptions happened a few years ago. there is a decent amount of people playing, it is only a fraction of what it once was. Square-Enix no longer provides major updates or adds new content to the game. It's like a pond with no fresh water source, eventually it will get stagnant.

14. Centaurmyst

Centaurmyst New Member

I played FFXI for 2-3 years straight and then a couple more years off and on. I've tried other games, including the first incarnation of FFXIV and played the remake for a little bit, but no game can live up to FFXI for me.

I really think that my Hume Monk will forever hold a special place in my heart. I even miss the Dunes parties and getting slaughtered in Garlaige Citadel when someone going for artifact armor would train a bunch of bats over all the parties leveling there.

One of these days I'll probably go back again. Everytime I see anyone talk about it I want to.

15. Jarhead

Jarhead Member
    Regular

I came into this thread because I was also wondering why someone wanted to restart this game rather than going on to the newer and better FFXIV version. Maybe I'm wrong as it seems there are still a lot of people playing it.

16. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that at this point in my life that might just take a bit too much out of me. I would really like to though, and maybe that is enough to draw me in in the end.

17. Jarhead

Jarhead Member
    Regular

Well, if you decide to take the plunge - enjoy. Personally that is not something that holds a lot of appeal for me. I think I would rather move forward and experience new games than restart old ones.

18. clair02

clair02 Active Member
    Regular

I don't think it's a great idea to restart these games. It will never be the same second time around. You're spending time that you could better spend experiencing something new - that's my opinion anyway. I say go for FFXV and be done with it.

19. Hova

Hova Well-Known Member
    Regular

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy XI's job system

20. Hova

Hova Well-Known Member
    Regular

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy XI's job system. The introductions of subjobs was a genius move. I haven't played it lately but maybe after this I will try playing it again.