Anyone Not Able To Get Into NV?

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas' started by Amazon XD, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Amazon XD

Amazon XD Member

I ended up finishing New Vegas, but I found that I really didn't enjoy it as much as Fallout 3 or Oblivion. For some reason, I could really feel that Obsidian worked on it and not Bethesda.

Does anyone else notice the difference, or am I just being super picky?

2. sunnysideways

sunnysideways Member

Obsidian definitely has a different feel to their games than Bethesda does. However, I somehow liked NV a lot more than 3. The story was more gritty quirky, and it gave me more choices to play with. I feel that 3 didn't give me as many options with how I wanted the game to end, whereas NV gave me soooo many different possible outcomes and moral paths.

Their story telling styles are definitely different, and for some reason I can sink myself into Obsidian's more. That, and I just hated the subway tunnels in Fallout 3 ;)

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

There's a big difference definitely, anyone can see that. Your problem is that you first played the games from Bethesda, that's why it's so hard to get into the ones made by Obsidian. The transition is pretty noticeable, and the games produced by the former are better.

4. Amazon XD

Amazon XD Member

There's no doubt that Bethesda makes the superior game, but Obsidian did a pretty good job imitating a Bethesda RPG. Ultimately, I thought the narrative was all over the place.

Then again I'm often one to favor simplistic story telling. I want to live through the character, you know?

5. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

Fallout New Vegas felt so much smoother than Fallout 3 and fixed many of its predecessors broken mechanics, so I almost, ALMOST prefer it over Fallout 3.

6. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I love how Obsidian write their stories, I'm used to their dark but mature stories. So I started loving New Vegas very quickly when I first played it. I think they are much better at writing than Fallout 3's writers.
    But it's not just how they tell stories. Everything about New Vegas is so appealing to me. And they made a lot of mechanics better in this game. What's not to love. Unless you're playing NV immediately after 3, then I'd understand since it can be a little tiresome to do.

7. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member
    Regular

Gameplay wise, I thought that NV was better than 3. Storywise, it fell just a little bit short. There was a lot more potential for NV. I just hope that 4 will be able to make up for that :)