Quantcast

Any interest in a Zelda game that doesn't feature Link?

Discussion in 'The Legend of Zelda' started by Scurventery, Jan 15, 2014.

1. chronomantic

chronomantic Member

It's a great idea but Link should stay at the center I think, as he is the icon representing the franchise (which it's ironic considering the game title) or maybe have Zelda playable for some sidequests. I've always wanted to play as her or Sheik. It would certainly be quite the fresh breath of air and it will revitalize the series as well.

2. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

To be honest, I'm kind of tired of Link or a Link-look alike as the main character. It'd be refreshing to see a different character take the lead role in the game. I think maybe that's partially why I liked the new WiiU game the bit that I did.

3. GoldenWing

GoldenWing Member

Sure, why not? Although I don't think a game completely without Link would be a good idea. Have him with some very minor role, at the very least.

Main character...yeah, Zelda disguised or even as herself would be nice, and surely there must be other characters who could work well here, right?

4. fliktor7

fliktor7 Well-Known Member

A Legend of Zelda without Link? I don't see it.

It could be cool a spin off about Zelda (or even Ganondorf) as the main character, but just that, a spin off. Legend of Zelda without Link isn't a Legend of Zelda at all, is like a super mario without mario, makes no sense for me xD

5. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, I'd like to see Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask played through the eyes of the skull kid or Taitle. Actually, maybe even that horse if someone wanted to make a joke game for it too.

6. devonbomer

devonbomer Active Member

Maybe if you were to take another character such as Ganon and play as him, that would be pretty awesome! I can't think about that being very eventful, unless it were a new game and not based off of old ones. I guess the concept is okay, and I think it's worked before for other companies, but as it was mentioned, the game wouldn't be the same and probably wouldn't sell well. :(

7. Dame6089

Dame6089 Active Member

I have always loved the idea of Ocarina of Time fro Zelda's perspective. Being able to switch between Zelda and Sheik would add a really interesting gameplay element to the series that hasn't been seen before.

8. KyubiChan

KyubiChan Active Member Regular

It would be weird for me to not have Link in a Legend of Zelda game, however it would be nice if it wasn't just Link doing all the saving. It would be nice of Zelda or maybe even Link and Zelda can save the world together instead of Zelda always needing the rescuing.

9. LadyCygnet

LadyCygnet Member

I would enjoy a game with Zelda or Ganondorf as the main character. Hyrule Warriors made it fun to play as Ganondorf, and I imagine he had a pretty rough and challenging life before he went for the Triforce.

Perhaps Zelda could rescue Link?

10. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I've never imagined that a Zelda game not having Link as your character. But I would love to play if you can play yourself as Zelda. That would be cool.

11. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

I would love for Zelda to be atleast used more often. I love how she turns into Sheik. Out of all of Nintendo princesses, she doesn't just sit back and let the " hero" do all the work. Spirit tracks is a good example of her being useful. Or how about in wind waker she goes under cover as Tetra? Or in other games when she uses her light arrows against Ganon/ Ganondorf, who ever.

12. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

I would definitely play a Zelda game with a different protagonist, but not one that removed Link from the story completely. That would just be pointless in my opinion, honestly. But if it was just making Link a different part of the story instead of the protag that could actually be really interesting; I'd love to see where they'd go with a game like that, actually! And like some other people have said, being able to play from Zelda's viewpoint would be pretty cool, too. I wonder if they ever will go that direction (adding a different protag) someday...

13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

I completely agree. Link could just play a different role. He doesn't have to be completely removed.

14. TurningCoffee

TurningCoffee Member

I'm in a similar boat as the previous two posters. Removing Link completely would be kind of drastic, but being able to play as a different character would be pretty refreshing. Look at how much interest Twilight Princess generated when people saw you could play as a wolf! The wolf was still Link yes, but it was still something sort of different. Just a new sort of playstyle and hearing someone else's story would be cool.

15. D Rob

D Rob New Member

Well doesn't feature Link and doesn't feature Link as a main character are two different things. In the first one's case I am not sure if that would work, but I am all for the latter. I like your idea of having a game about Sheik, although personally I want a game where you can play as Tetra. She is my favorite version of Zelda and I feel like she hasn't got the attention she deserves. Smash Bros. didn't even have her as a fighter!!! I think the part that would be the most fun about playing as Tetra would be her personality and the fact that she speaks. Yes, she SPEAKS!!! That's something Link can't do.

16. Necrotica

Necrotica Active Member Regular

I'd definitely be interested in a game where you play as Zelda instead of Link. Considering the powers she has in Super Smash Bros. (especially transforming into Shiek), there are a lot of possibilities there. Just as long as it's not like the CD-I Zelda's Adventure game, lol

17. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE! Regular

I think a release or two with perspectives from other characters or a choice of who to play as would be interesting. I wouldn't remove Link from the game, but letting one of the other characters be the hero might be fun.

18. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

If the game is good, I don't really care who the main character would be. Though I do think it would be weird to flat out not have Link in the game in any way, given his importance to the series. I think having multiple playable characters with different abilities would be a good way to spice the franchise up.

19. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE! Regular

They could just relegate all the characters to NPC status, add some sort of character creation, and let the player be the hero. It is one way to go that might be fun.

20. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

I think seeing for a different perspective would be a nice breath of fresh air. I like Link, don't get me wrong but having a few games based around Zelda/others would be nice. I mean it'd be no different than FFX and FFX-2. X was about Tidus, X-2 was Yuna focused. Same universe but different events/perspective.