Quantcast

Any interest in a Zelda game that doesn't feature Link?

Discussion in 'The Legend of Zelda' started by Scurventery, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Scurventery

Scurventery Member

I realize that the formula is part of what makes the Zelda series such a classic, but there are so many rich characters and stories that I can't help thinking a great game could be made that doesn't feature Link as the main character. For example, it would be fantastic to play as Zelda disguised as Sheik during the seven year interim of OoT, fighting Ganondorf's growing power and waiting for Link's return. Thoughts?

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I don't think so it wouldn't be a Zelda game without link its like a sonic game without sonic in my opinion.

3. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd love one actually. One as Zelda/Sheik would be pretty awesome. Just because it's BEEN the legend of ZELDA being saved by LINK doesn't mean it ALWAYS has to be that way. It could be a spinoff or something I'd love that.

4. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

To me, even though the game's called Legend of Zelda but it is always Link that defines the game. A Zelda game without Link is out of consideration for me. So no, I don't want to see Zelda losing its protagonist.

5. RMCMage

If they did make a game I would see it more as a DLC, but not as a full retail game, but it could be kind of fun to play a different character for once.

6. swagger

swagger Well-Known Member

I don't think it would work, although it's an interesting concept. Link is basically the image everyone thinks of when they hear LoZ, he's the character of the franchise, taking him out would be pointless.

7. jesuitical

jesuitical Well-Known Member

Maybe not a LoZ game, but a spinoff of Sheik would he cool. I wouldn't want it to take the place of the next LoZ, but it could be cool.

8. averycagle9595

averycagle9595 Active Member

A spin-off of some sort, I could see being very cool. However, it's not The Legend of Zelda if Link isn't the hero.

9. NeroFerk

NeroFerk Well-Known Member

A spin-off of multiple things are needed. Like Skull kid's appearance in Majora. Where did he come from? How did he get to Termina? Where is the Lost Woods that Skull kids are made from? You know stuff like that.

10. CeliVega

CeliVega Well-Known Member

Yes, it would be nice if we got a perspective change for once and let Zelda be the main hero! Spirits Tracks make us use both Link and Zelda to make it past dungeons, so I don't see why they couldn't do something like this again. Except this time they should give Zelda more focus and give Link a more supporting role instead of hogging the spotlight all the time :p

11. RMCMage

If they made a spin off game I would like the character be a villain it would be more interesting plus who doesn't want to play as a villain once in awhile?

12. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Well-Known Member

I was surprised to run into Link in WoW. He obviously escaped for a while. I don't think it would be a true Zelda game without Link. Even if you do a spinoff, somehow Link would have to be there in some way, shape or form, so you know it was a Zelda spinoff.

13. CeliVega

CeliVega Well-Known Member

A spinoff with Demise? Ganondoft? Or Vaati?
    I think a prequel with Vaati has potential to be great. They should expand on how he went from being the apprentice of Ezlo to a villain that is being corrupted by darkness. Make him a tragic villain of some sort, and maybe a future game where he can redeem himself......

14. RaidAurora

RaidAurora Well-Known Member

I would love, LOVE a game starring Zelda. She's so much cooler than she's given credit for. In at least one incarnation she's a total badass who hides her identity as Sheikh and in several others she demonstrates some of the strongest moral fortitude in the video game industry. Also, she's a female lead who isn't oversexualized. Not a ton of that in the industry. Look to her Brawl character for ideas of how she might play.

15. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

I would like to play a game featuring only Zelda, where Link is on an adventure on his own. The point of view will be through Zelda. Maybe a story about the time before Link and Zelda was a pair?

16. Balaal

Balaal Well-Known Member

I would definatly play a stealth type of Zelda game with Sheik/Zelda as the main character. I think that would be fun

17. wulfman

wulfman Well-Known Member

Can't imagine a Zelda game where you don't play as Link. But I probably could get accustomed to another character. Maybe the game can have two options where you play Ganon and actually fight Link at the end . HA !

18. wulfman

wulfman Well-Known Member

What is the newest Zelda game out there right now ? I'm behind on things.

19. SoraLimit

SoraLimit Member

^^The newest one is A Link between Worlds on the 3DS.

To answer the question though, before Skyward Sword it would've been interesting to see a Zelda game without Link, but considering the storyline, it wouldn't make any sense.

20. camsdad

camsdad Active Member

I am all about the idea of a Zelda game where you play as the princess herself. I feel like The Legend of Zelda games have done enough with alternate realities to swing that.