27th Chernobyl disaster anniversary (26.04.2013)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Komodo Saurian, Apr 26, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

The Chernobyl disaster was a catastrophic nuclear accident that occurred on 26 April 1986 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine (then officially Ukrainian SSR), which was under the direct jurisdiction of the central authorities of the Soviet Union. An explosion and fire released large quantities of radioactive particles into the atmosphere, which spread over much of Western USSR and Europe.

The Chernobyl disaster is widely considered to have been the worst nuclear power plant accident in history, and is one of only two classified as a level 7 event on the International Nuclear Event Scale (the other being the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster in 2011). The battle to contain the contamination and avert a greater catastrophe ultimately involved over 500,000 workers and cost an estimated 18 billion rubles. The official Soviet casualty count of 31 deaths has been disputed, and long-term effects such as cancers and deformities are still being accounted for.

[youtube]MKKz45ORPQQ[/youtube]​

2. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Been a long time hasn't it?

3. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

they were heros, all those who risked their lives. it could have been so much worse.

god bless.

4. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

That was a sad day...

5. seeker

seeker Member

everyone who helped was a hero. for those who died may there souls rest in peace, and for the families sorry for you loss.

6. DrDarcy

DrDarcy Well-Known Member

I can't remember who said it, but someone said the battle to contain the crisis at Chernobyl was the most important of the 20th century. If they failed, the consequences would've been far worse. RIP everyone.

7. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Yea, I heard about it on the radio this morning. Condolences to those affected by the event.

8. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I'm late, but I would also like to offer my condolences and respect to everyone who has ever suffered and/or still is suffering from the effects of the Chernobyl Disaster. I've heard a lot about it and I can certainly agree that no one should ever try to undermine the actions and sacrifices made by the liquidators.

9. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

One of the workers on the plant was tasked with sealing off a valve - IIRC 20 meters down in a pool of radiated water - with no flashlight. He accomplished it and survived, but I grieve thinking about how many years of life he lost by doing that. Above and beyond the call of duty.
    I can only wish that I would be able to make the same choice in a situation like that.

10. Jet Odessa

yep, that was Sasha Yuvchenko. the first one to die was Valeri Kodemchuck, who was vaporised in the initial explosion.
    but the one who got the most radiation and survived was Piotr Palamarchuck, who got a dose of 780 roetngens.

there is a very good book about it called 'Ablaze: The Story of Chernobyl' by Piers Paul Read. I recommned it. also another very good book is 'Chernobyl: Confessions of a Reporter' by Igor Kostin, one of the first reporters on site. the book comprises the pictures he took at the time and of course, his story, and is very good. I got them both.

#10 Jet Odessa, May 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2013
  11. GoodLordApollo

GoodLordApollo The Courier

One day in the future I shall visit Chernobyl, Pripyat including the Exclusion Zone.

12. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Same here mate i think i need to see it just as a show of respect to the people who to this day still work inside there

13. Jet Odessa

so will I, as a show of respect.

14. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

If/when you go there...It will change your life :)

15. Jet Odessa

I'm sure it will. however, I can't go until I beat my hep c. hopefully I'll go into treatment before 2015.

#15 Jet Odessa, May 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
  16. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Heck, when I found out my gf (now my ex) loved Chernobyl too, I was like WOAH! We were like 'Imagine getting wedding photos there??' lol Yep, totally would too :p

17. Crossing

Crossing Well-Known Member