Blizzard Entertainment has officially announced that the new expansion for World of Warcraft, Legion, will be released on August 30. This marks the sixth expansion for the popular MMORPG. The new expansion features the return of Azeroth’s great enemy, the Burning Legion. Blizzard also confirmed the prices and deluxe versions for the expansion’s upcoming release.
Players have the option to pre-order the game now, which will earn them an instant level-100 character boost and early access to the Demon Hunter, the new hero class for the expansion ahead of the release.
Speaking on the announcement, Blizzard CEO and co-founder Mike Morhaime stated: “Legion opens a dark and thrilling new chapter in one of the Warcraft series’ greatest conflicts, and things will never be the same for some of Azeroth’s most iconic heroes and villains. This expansion is loaded with features and content that give players whole new ways to explore the world and customize their heroes. We’re looking forward to sending everyone into battle against the Burning Legion this August.”
The expansion will chronicle events following the Warlords of Draenor. The warlock Gul’dan unleashed a demonic invasion upon Azeroth. To save the the world, the heroes have to unlock the mysteries of the Broken Isles, master the powerful Artifact weapons and strike a forbidden patch with the Demon Hunters of the Illidari, who are the disciples of the Illidan Stormrage.
World of Warcraft Legion will be available in a Standard Edition, with physical and digital versions available for the price of $49.99. Players can upgrade their pre-purchase to the Digital Deluxe Edition, which will cost $69.99. This will contain in-game bonuses for a number of games, including an Illidari Felstalker mount and pet for World of Warcraft, a Felstalker mount for Heroes of the Storm, a helm transmog and wings for Diablo III and a pair of fel-infused StarCraft II portraits.
- New Hero Class: Demon Hunter—Unleash the demon within as an all-new melee hero class gifted with preternatural mobility—and the ability to metamorphose into hellish new forms.
- New Feature: Artifact Weapons—Smite the Legion with class-specific weapons of lore. Unlock abilities and traits, and customize your weapon to suit your needs.
- New Continent: The Broken Isles—Discover the fate of a lost night elf civilization, confront twisted fragments of the Emerald Nightmare, and hunt agents of the Legion in all-new zones. Forge your own path through the Broken Isles as you explore content that dynamically scales to your level.
- Boost to Level 100—Come fully prepared to battle the Legion with a level-100 character boost, and fight alongside your friends in this epic new chapter of World of Warcraft—available immediately upon pre-purchase†.
- New Feature: Class Hall—Gather with fellow members of your class and unite followers of your order—including iconic characters from Warcraft lore—to carry out missions at your command.
- New PvP Honor System—Fight for fame, glory, and a range of new PvP-specific powers as you face the opposing faction in Arenas and Battlegrounds.