Quantcast

Your Worst Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy' started by Narukami, May 25, 2014.

1. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

What is you people's worst Final Fantasy game?

For me, it's the very first Final Fantasy. It simply has not aged well and it feels like an extreme chore to play due to the ridiculously high encounter rate and the total lack of direction. In my opinion, the one thing that's good about it is that it gave birth to an amazing franchise, but that's it.

So, what game do you consider the worst of the franchise?

2. SeanM

SeanM Well-Known Member

Final Fantasy X was by far the worse in the series I've ever played, I was really disappointed in square enix, but I forgive them they've since redeemed themselves with XII and XIII so I can't stay mad...

3. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

FF X2 for me the 1st one was great and I really enjoyed the story overall the sequel was horrible in my opinion way to girly in my opinion I remember after I beat the game I sold it on ebay for almost half the price I paid for it.

4. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

FF1 has aged TERRIBLY. It's not a very good game honestly, it's sequels were MUCH MUCH better..

5. camsdad

camsdad Active Member

I was more than unhappy with FF VIII, I hated the graphics, I hated the story and most of all I hated the lead character. The gunknife is by far the weapon I've encountered in a RPG.

6. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Well-Known Member

Ive been thinking and thinking and the only one that comes to mind is XIII its main problem lies its the fact thats its so Linear. Which basiclly goes against many things that made FF what it was. Its freedom and being able to travel and go about the way you wanted.

7. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

I'll have to agree with this.. I tried out Final Fantasy 1 in order to see how the Legend started. From the opening sequence, I felt a great deal of disappointment. As I continued to play, my disappointment grew. The story was lame, the combat was boring, the gameplay, tedious.

I don't agree with FFX and FFVIII but we have our own tastes. Anyways, let me defend FFVIII first. FFVIII had awesome graphics - they were a lot lot better than FFVII. The characters were less pixelated and the CG cinemas were superb.

FFX continued the tradition of FF by incorporating a turn-based combat system. X-2 was a lot worse than X.

8. Arma45

Arma45 Active Member

After playing some, I have come to think that Final Fantasy was the worst one I played. I almost practically didn't understand what to do and where to go and I felt like there was nothing there to explain what was going on other than what you read at the beginning.

I felt like I was just thrown in there and told, Okay, Go finish this game without a clue as to what to do. Than again, Maybe that is my fault but even since I had first hand experience with it, I can't say I liked it at all.

9. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

Hands down, Final Fantasy 13. Here's a LIST of reasons why:

1. If the person you have dies...You lose. I got TWO other people here, one is a healer, WHAT THE HELL?!
    2. Lighting and Hope. Couldn't take her attitude and Hope's constant: "WE'RE GONNA DIE!" freak outs ticked me off to no end.
    3. Story? What story? There was a STORY?! I thought this was just Square Enix saying: "Oooh, look at our pretty graphics! LOVE THIS!"
    4. I have to agree with this one youtuber that said it, I didn't feel an attachment to Serah. I'm sorry, - No, I'm not - but she didn't have enough TIME to grow on us. All you know is: "Hey! This character is a main character's lover and the sister of another! LOVE HER!" No, S-E, that's not how it works. When it comes to games and getting attached to characters, you get to know the characters in the now and look at them go through their highs and lows. (Except Lighting, throughout the WHOLE game, even though she changed just a SLIGHT bit, I was emotional done with this character. She blew it.)
    5. Broken. Game. After you got a certain ability, YOU KNOW THE ONE, all you have to do is spam the hell out of it and win. Just.stop.

Personally, I thought that was a HORRIBLE game, but yet people praise it, while simultaneously putting down Final Fantasy 10. Why? All because of a laughing scene that was like, what, 3 minutes long? Compared to the sheer distaste of a character that, at one point, thought sabotaging a planet's food supply would fulfill their Focus, is somehow "better". Forgive me for liking a character that's actually DECENT and has his own issues compared to one that didn't believe a word her sibling said to cover up a proposal, AKA "Worst birthday ever."

10. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

FF8 and FF13 are a close tie to me. Both games had equally obnoxious cast of characters, the storylines weren't that engrossing to me and same with the gameplay. That being said- FF13 wins out by a small margin. Screw linear gameplay- If I want linear, I'll go play a generic FPS on "storymode".

11. mmchayle

mmchayle Member

FFIX was ridiculously horrible in terms of graphics and the overall experience sucked by far compared to 7 and 8.

12. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

I really don't enjoy any of the Final Fantasy's after like ten or so. I just don't like how the series has developed and I prefer the older games much more.

13. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

FF XII was just ridiculous. You could effectively put that game on auto-play, and your characters would level up to max level, without you ever touching the controller. You just had to leave your PS2 on for a week or so. Really bad system in my opinion and the story wasn`t that good either.

14. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

FF9 was the best in terms of graphics on the PS1. It's not much different from FF8 when it comes to graphics, technically, though it has a different art style. It's factually better than FF7, though, because FF7 had some of the ugliest graphics ever produced.

15. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

Gonna agree with you, OP, on FF1. A lot of people seem really hesitant to say anything bad about it because it is the first one in the series and people feel nostalgic over it, but it really just wasn't a great game. Heck, it wasn't even a very GOOD game. I've played nearly all of the Final Fantasy series that has been available on consoles/platforms that I have and there have been a few that didn't impress me much (looking at you, FF7) but they were all a lot better than the original in my opinion.

16. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

FF X2 was the worst FF I ever saw or played. I'm not against of the 3 main girls as your character but man they overdid it. The costumes of the girls and also the story I don't understand at all like what happened to Tidus or something. I never finished the game and I never will.

17. Gamepreneur

Gamepreneur Well-Known Member Regular

Generally almost every one after Final Fantasy 9. They seem to have went rather down-hill in regards to their unique game-play and the story-line and characters just seemed awkward. Not to say they still aren't fun, it's just not as fun as they used to be but I haven't quite been keeping up. I will be trying out more of the newer ones soon but I don't think my opinion will change much. Although they look much better, the game-play just doesn't feel as enjoyable anymore unfortunately.

18. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

FF X-2 really was the beginning of the fall of Final Fantasy for me. It didn't improve much from FFX, and the story was not as engaging or interesting. I really liked X, it was one of my favorites in the series, X-2 just brought it down. It was far easier for me, and I felt as though the entire game was underdeveloped in a sense. It almost felt like apathy set in between the two games and Square just put the bare minimum of effort in for X-2.

19. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I dislike 1-3. I can't deny their importance as games, and what they've done to move the industry forward, but they just have not aged well. I dislike the entirety of the 13 series, they're pretty looking games, but the storyline for all three games is completely nonsensical and the gameplay is average at best.

20. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member Regular

I also think the first Final Fantasy is pretty frustrating. It was revolutionary back when it came out, and opened way for all the amazing sequels, but today it's just that.

A base for the future titles. The story wasn't as great either, and that's really important for me in a JRPG.

Of course, if we count FF : Mystic Quest, that one would probably be the worst one in my opinion.