Your first MMO?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Yard' started by Disparity, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

Can' say I've ever heard of Rappelz Epic 3 (or any other Rappelz), how popular was it back then?

2. Korsakoff

Korsakoff Member

Guild Wars 1

3. doctorimpossible

Oh yay one of my brothers after my own heart! Runescape was and still is my favorite mmo to date. I just absolutely loved spending hours grinding and completing mini games. Sadly I didn't know anyone else who played so it was a little lonely:(

4. Oakster

When I played Runescape, my main focus was on the market, I spent hours upon hours buying and selling food and gear and getting great bulk deals on ores.
    It was basically, "Auction House: The MMO" for me :)

5. mauricioq

mauricioq Well-Known Member
    Regular

My first MMO was the now closed: Dungeon Runners.
    I don't even remember why or how I started playing it, but it was lots of fun.
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to play it again. :(

6. thejamal

thejamal Well-Known Member

Runescape. I think my brother got me into the game and it was the first time I really spent time on the internet back in the day. I occasionally go back to the game for some nostalgia.

7. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

Mine was Runescape then WoW. I much preferred WoW but eventually quit as the game declined.

8. Artixion

Artixion Member

My first MMO was Runescape, but I consider that to be more RPG like that anything. So my real "REAL" MMO would have to of been World of Warcraft. I also played MapleStory back in the day but I cannot remember if I played that before WoW.

9. fireinyourwords

fireinyourwords Well-Known Member

My first MMO was World of Warcraft. I didn't really know what to expect or if I'd really get into it, but it grabbed me and didn't let go. I just watched a trailer for Lords of Condor Heroes and it looks so good. So, hopefully another MMO to get me hooked.

10. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

My first MMO was actually a text based MUD game. Very old stuff. :D Second was World of Warcraft, but I lost interest after about half a year, the end game content is just too guild dependent.

11. Oakster

Wow that was a long gap you took there, unless you were playing the MUD when EQ, Anarchy Online, etc were already out...

12. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well since we're talking about the pre-commercially available internet era, then my first MMO game would be Legend of the Red Dragon. I played that through a popular BBS that had 30 concurrent nodes. The game had thousands of players, but only 30 people could play it at once. Fortunately, it had a limited amount of 'turns' and time you can spend on there, so everyone else could play.

To give people an idea when this was, this would be 1993-1996, though the game came out in 1989.

13. Chris_A

Regular

I played the Mud I was referring too a bit later, maybe in 1998, but still a very early form of MMO. Although I think Everquest was already out in the 90`s. I cannot confirm though.

tinybutnotfangless likes this.
  14. Oakster

Everquest came out in 1999, so technically it came out in the 90's :)

15. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

I find this a bit funny. ^_^ So your first MMO was a MUD in 1999 and then your second MMO was WoW? That's a huge jump! ^_^

16. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

think it was classic runescape. I saw a friend of mine play it and was like WOAH that looks neat and he told me it was free and so there began a journey I'll never forget.

17. matrixor

matrixor Well-Known Member

My first MMO was World of Warcraft. I really enjoyed it. I still do actually. I am playing it regularly. I like the game. I love the Pvp system. PvE isn't that bad, too.

18. sidd230

sidd230 Well-Known Member

Super generic for me, but WoW in Vanilla. I played through Wrath and a little bit into Cata, done hardcore raids and some arena-ing. Since I've played just about every similar MMO (Rift, TOR, Neverwinter, currently FFXIV, etc.) but nothing really captured the same thing. I think it's like losing your virginity; at the time it probably wasn't that good but looking back on it and always chasing a similar experience but always falling short... good times.

19. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Helbreath was my first one. Back when it was still free... not sure if it's even available anymore. Even though the game was very much based on grinding I loved it... it was great. Especially the weekly big fight between cities... that's still rare to see in modern games. Hundreds of players fighting over control of different things in order to destroy the other city... it was amazing.

20. Chris_A

Regular

Well, it is true, but I wasn`t really into MMOs when I was younger. Didn`t have much experience with them. I played that MUD for a while, then took a long break from MMOs, up until The Burning Crusade came out. :D

tinybutnotfangless likes this.